Play Book Tag discussion

The Two-Family House
This topic is about The Two-Family House
May 2018: Family Drama > Two-Family House; 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hahtoolah | 439 comments The Two-Family House, by Lynda Cohen Loigman (2016)

Two brothers own a house together in Brooklyn in the late 1940s and run the family business. The brothers couldn’t be more different. Abe is out-going, and Mort is resentful that he was unable to complete his studies in mathematics.

Abe, his wife and three sons live upstairs in the shared house. Mort, his wife, and three daughters live downstairs. The wives get along like sisters, sharing recipes and take care of the children. What happens when both are pregnant and give birth at home on the same night as a frightful storm with only a midwife available to assist with the birth.

Although the reader knows within the first few chapters what happens, the family members are kept in the dark about the events. The novel focuses on how events can radically change family dynamics. The characters really come alive leading the reader to have an interest in how the family secrets can be resolved.

I really enjoyed this novel.

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Oh, sounds interesting, ty!

message 3: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole | 430 comments This does look good! On the TBR it goes!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9337 comments I read and also enjoyed this novel. I think it’s true would Hatoolah says, and I too wrote about it in my review. It’s one of those stories were the twist is revealed to the reader incredibly early on and yet you have to watch the characters in the novel manage to fall out and consequences even though it was known to us all along, they scramble in the dark around this. You have to be able to enjoy that kind of experience of fore knowledge that the characters do not possess. I enjoyed it though.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5153 comments Sounds like another one for my TBR!

message 6: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Adding to TBR.

message 7: by Magdalena (new) - added it

Magdalena | 414 comments Sounds interesting I've added it!