What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books with female version of John Wick, Jason Bourne or Jack Reacher

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Burgess | 7 comments I'm looking for books that have a female heroine with kick ass skills in line with male characters such as John Wick, Jason Bourne, or Jack Reacher. I love stories where quiet unassuming heroes kick ass and instill fear into the bad guys when they unknowingly poke the hornets nest.

Just read Overload Flux by Carol Van Natta that had a character like this.. and I am looking for similar.

message 3: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 186 comments The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer. It has the feel of Jason Bourne, in that powerful people are after her. Her skill set is as a chemist, but she has developed tricks and paranoia to survive.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments The Chemist for the link.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Louisiana Longshot While not a dark or confusing series, this has a female MC who is a CIA sniper who has been "outed" to an arms dealer. She's hiding in Louisiana and pretending to be a former beauty pageant contestant.

message 6: by j (new)

j (jabstriestoread) | 8 comments If you want fantasy ,Throne of Glass series is amazing. the main character is an infamous assassin

message 7: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments The Fixer series

message 8: by Ingo (last edited May 04, 2018 11:19AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 639 comments Did you mean this one?
Jennifer Lynn Barnes:
The Fixer (The Fixer, #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes The Fixer
The Long Game (The Fixer, #2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes The Long Game
Recommended, although I am not so sure if this is what is wanted.
The Fixer character(s) in the book are more spin-doctors, trading favours and lies to achieve their goal or the goal of a client.

Worth reading, though, as both are female.

Sadly rather short lived, with only two books in the series, and I think there are not planned to be more.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Spider's Bite this is fantasy and has the MC as an assassin. She's also an elemental mage. And runs a diner that specializes in BBQ.

message 10: by Temeritous (last edited May 05, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Temeritous | 20 comments I, too, would love to find books like those but with a female heroine. Although none of these next books listed below are quite like Jason Bourne, et al, they do have kick-ass, tough, but vulnerable in different areas heroines and most have action. I've read them all and can recommend them as ones I liked and would read again.

Tuesday Falling by S. Wlliams (not a romance, but excellent, complex MC heroine, story is somewhat brutal but intriguing and fun-- definitely a quiet, underrated heroine)

Shades of Honor by Sandy Williams (tough, strong military heroine, some romance, lots of action, sy-fy) 2 books out so far, unfinished trilogy)

Perdition by Ann Aquirre (brutal, some romance eventually, finished trilogy, extremely tough/strong heroine)

The King's Man by Elizabeth Kingston (has some romance eventually, but not fluffy, light, typical romance of today's romance books)

Goodnight by Susie Tate (romance, bit of a slow burn, heroine is/was an assassin)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the following 2 for the trilogy) by Stieg Larsson (not a romance, awesome books)

Sleight of Hand by Mark Henwick (tough, smart, female ex-military MC written by a male author and done well, IMO-- has paranormal aspects- I've only read the first 3)

Stealing Mr. Right by Tamara Morgan (fun romance, heroine is a jewel thief and hero is an FBI agent) You can stop at book one or continue on with the next 2. I really enjoyed them all.

The Emperor's Edge (and the rest of the series) by Lindsay Buroker (fun, slow-burn romance, with lots of action, enjoyed the realistic character growth of the assassin hero over the series, heroine starts out as an Emperor's law Enforcer)

Also, if you are ok with urban fantasy with some slow-burn romance taking place over the first few books, I love Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, starting with Magic Bites. Series finale comes out this June. First book is the weakest. Awesome wold-building. And the husband/wife authors are really generous with freebie stories on their website blog.

And I really love J.D, Robb's Eve Dallas series, starting with Naked in Death (has a TON of books in the series, and I've only read the first 8, and absolutely loved them all, but you can stop after the first 3, easily, even the first one if want)

Here are a few books I have on my TBR pile that are supposed to have kick-a@@ female MC's and might be more like the books you mentioned.

Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong

Jet by Russell Blake

message 11: by C. (last edited May 04, 2018 10:50PM) (new)

C. | 219 comments The first book in this trilogy was awesome, and I am just beginning the second.
I highly recommend this white-knuckle/hold your breath read~
Deadstick Dawn (Samantha Starr #1) by S.L. Menear

message 12: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments The Silent Corner and rest of new Jane Hawk series

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody | 103 comments following

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (rockabillybunny) | 3 comments You might enjoy the Jane Whitefield series by Thomas Perry

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments Jet

message 16: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Oct 24, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments David wrote: "I'm looking for books that have a female heroine with kick ass skills in line with male characters such as John Wick, Jason Bourne, or Jack Reacher. I love stories where quiet unassuming heroes kic..."

I'm not sure what exact characteristics a female jack reacher would need to have, but I'm thinking that these 3 heroines would apply:

Protector by Gennita Low Protector by Gennita Low
(Vivi is the ultimate mistress of disguise, she leads covert ops)

Into Danger (S.A.S.S., #1) by Gennita Low Into Danger by Gennita Low
(this heroine is almost as good as Vivi)

Disavowed (Hostage Rescue Team #4) by Kaylea Cross Disavowed by Kaylea Cross
(fav book in series, Briar's a kickass assassin/black ops chic with a penchant for killing her targets in the most embarrassing ways she can devise before calling the cops with an anonymous tip on where to find said bad guy. She's a riot and scary dangerous!)

message 17: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 283 comments You might like these lists: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3... (Badass Female Leads) and https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9... (Best Female Assassins/Hitwomen/Spies).

message 18: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 225 comments Maybe you'll like the Resident evil books by S.D. Perry

Or how about the Buffy the vampire slayer books?

The night huntress books by Jeanine Frost

The millennium books by Stieg Larsen have a strong female lead

Bloodline by James Rollins

message 19: by Ingo (last edited Oct 27, 2018 04:24AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 639 comments Totally off the left fork of the road, cannot say why I did not think of that earlier:
Alexandra Sokoloff - The Huntress Series.

Current world (no fantasy / SF), 5 books for now, the last has drawn criticism as it is a VERY current book with a mirror to the current situation in the US, which some did not want or care reading about. As a German - EU citizen with an outsider POV I thought it was brillant.

The female character is a revenge vigilante slightly off the rockers strong female. As she murders her way through the books, you could say, she is an assassin, but not for hire.
Strays into the occult/fantasy with some scenes, but not often and also not often enough to be called Fantasy.

Trigger Warning: the worst of the worst, rape, torture, abuse, child abuse, detailed killings, burning, death, psychological abuse, etc.
Just so you know what you are getting into, wether it just might be to your liking or not.

No YA, this is for adults.

Still, despite my trigger warnings, very highly recommended from me.

Series starts with:
Hunger Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #5) by Alexandra Sokoloff Hunger Moon

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Maybe The Black Stiletto The First Diary--1958 (The Black Stiletto #1) by Raymond Benson by Raymond Benson

message 21: by eva (new)

eva (calendarbusiness) | 15 comments Uncaged by John Sandford and Michele Cook has a very strong female lead and quite a lot of action. She doesn't do a lot of fighting in this one but I believe the following two in the series (which I have not read) have more action from her.

message 22: by Deb (new)

Deb | 1 comments New Mystery Thriller, Under the Radar by J. Reed Rich has an intriguing kick-ass heroine, great love interest, and a cool locale. It's a page turner.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Deb wrote: "New Mystery Thriller, Under the Radar by J. Reed Rich has an intriguing kick-ass heroine, great love interest, and a cool locale. It's a page turner."

Are you the author? If so, we don't allow author self-promotion in this group.

message 24: by Sycorax (new)

Sycorax | 87 comments They're a bit dated now, but the Modesty Blaise books might be the kind of thing you're looking for. She's a bit of a James Bond only freelance rather than an active agent.

message 25: by Rosa (new)

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Houser | 9 comments following

message 28: by Eric (new)

Eric Bruce | 138 comments A bit different , but have you tried Kay Kenyon's At the Table of Wolves ?