You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > May 2018 REPORTING - Flowers in Bloom

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments I realised it was May in a few days, and was looking through the Interwebz about May. And I saw that May's flower of choice was Lily of the Valley, which I like and my Dad used to grow when I was a kid but I don't see any more. But it was the sign of Spring to me in Sept when I was little, and I remembered you lot are having a stupidly long winter. So let's go with the sign of Spring for you guys to give you hope that the snow will end.

This month your challenge, if you accept it, is to read a book with a Common Name of a flower in it's title. So no botanical names, just the common name. Also, I am not counting any descriptors in the name, just the name of the flower.

So if we take May's flower of choice as an example. Lily of the Valley - you could read a book with the word Lily in the title.
Another example, Baby Jane Camilla - you could read a book with the word Camilla in the title.
The descriptive words that don't distinguish the type of flower don't count (eg. baby, valley, Jane), but the actual flower names do: Camilla, Lily, Hibiscus, Rose, Iris, Banksia, Daffodil, etc.
If in doubt, ASK

Plurals are okay - so lilies is acceptable for lily.

Compound words - no. So rosebush is not okay for rose.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format – hardcover, paperback, ebook, or audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Zany Zodiac Challenge.
3. The book must be read between May 1 to May 31, 2018 (based on your own time zone).
4. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
5. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

POINTS!
(based on the edition you read)

Title:
5 pts – Title consists of 4 words (no sub titles)
4 pts – Title starts with the letter F, L, O, W, E, R
3 pts – Title starts with an M (for May)
2 pts – Has a a sub title
1 pts – Has the word "Lotus" in it (White Lotus Day)

Cover (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition):
5 pts – Does not have a flower on it
4 pts – Is 70% red or white (Flag Day, Poland) use http://labs.tineye.com/color/ if confused
3 pts – Has a sheep on it (Sheep Festival (Cameroon))
2 pts – Author's name is in purple
1 pts – Has a recommendation blurb on the front cover

Author:
5 pts – Author is Haitian (Haitian Heritage Month)
4 pts – Author's first or last name starts with P, O, W, E, R (count once)
3 pts – Author is from a South Asian country (or Indian Sub-Continent depending on your terminology) - India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives -(South Asian Heritage Month)
2 pts – Author is Jewish American (Jewish American Heritage Month)
1 pts – Is living

How many pages? (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition) :
5 points – 501+
4 points - 401-500
3 points - 301-400
2 points – 201-300
1 point - 200 or less

Bonus May Points (2pts each that apply):
Roodmas - there is a Christian priest, pastor, minister, missionary or the like in your book.
International Bird Day - Come on, how could I let this one go by. A bird plays a part in your story. Not like "a flock of pigeons flew past" but like "a pigeon delivered an important message so I didn't die". Explain, but with spoilers if necessary.
Europe Day - the book is 60% set in a country in the European Union (28 countries - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea... . Last year the UK counts for this one)

message 2: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3393 comments When I saw this month's challenge, I first thought of the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. I decided to read the last book of the series, The Lure of the Moonflower A Pink Carnation Novel (Pink Carnation series) by Lauren Willig .

Here's a short video I found of a blossoming moon flower.

Here are the points:
Title:
0 pts

Cover:
2 pts – Author's name is in purple

Author:
4 pts – Author's first or last name starts with P, O, W, E, R (Willig)
1 pts – Is living

Pages:
5 points – 501+ (my book was 530 pages)

Bonus Points:
Roodmas - there is a Christian vicar, abbot and several monks
Europe Day - the book is set in Portugal, which is part of the European Union

Total points: 17

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Awesome, Lanelle! The video was way cool. They are like day lilies but in reverse (because they only last one night vs day lilies, which only last one day).

message 4: by Karen (last edited May 05, 2018 05:51PM) (new)

Karen Rashid | 137 comments I read Daisy Dooley Does Divorce Daisy Dooley Does Divorce by Anna Pasternak which I found by searching my library catalogue for flower books that looked likely and available. The cover of this one looked like it checked a few points so I went for it. It was a very quick read with some funny parts but not very memorable.

Title:
5 pts - Title consists of 4 words
Cover:
5 pts -Does not have a flower on it
Author:
4 pts – Author's first or last name starts with P, O, W, E, R
1 pts – Is living
Pages:
3 pts - 301-400

Bonus May Points:
2 pts: Europe Day - the book is 60% set in a country in the European Union

Total: 20 Points :)

After reading I found out that there is no end to juicy drama surrounding the author and that many of the exploits of the fictional Daisy were based on her own experiences. The articles that I skimmed reminded me of the gossip newspapers or "rags" as my grandmother who read them all would called them. Seems like Anna Pasternak is a controversial author in the UK.

message 5: by Cherie (last edited May 03, 2018 04:52PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Karen - I think your second link intended to be the picture of the book cover. If so, you have to change the radio button from "link" to "cover" in the bottom of the add book/author tool. The only difference between the two, is that "cover" includes the word cover in the book link. Here it is as link; book:Daisy Dooley Does Divorce|1148987 and the picture: bookcover:Daisy Dooley Does Divorce|1148987
I removed the brackets to show you the text. If your 2nd link was for the author's name, you change "book" to author at the top after you have your book displayed. author:Anna Pasternak|7910

PS - Great title! Too bad there are no points for all of the words starting with the same letter. ;o)

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Great work Lanelle and Karen!!

message 7: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I read The Violets of March The Violets of March by Sarah Jio .

2 points-author's name in purple
1 point-author is living
2 points-296 pages
2 points-Catholic Priest hears confession of main character, and later visits her home

Total: 12 points

Lanelle, I loved the Moon Flower video.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Rashid | 137 comments Cherie wrote: "Karen - I think your second link intended to be the picture of the book cover. If so, you have to change the radio button from "link" to "cover" in the bottom of the add book/author tool. The only..."

Thanks Cherie, you were right that I meant one of the links to be to the book cover. I am terrible about checking over my posts before clicking post ( and pressing send without reading over my texts).

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Deidre(Dee) ~ Official Bookworm ~ wrote: "We, in the Southern Hemisphere, haven't got to Winter yet, Rusalka. We are into the last month of Fall/Autumn. We've been a bit spoiled though. We have been having warm days, with a bit of a chilly..."

We had our first frost last night here in Canberra. But it's still 21 today. The flowers are a bit confused.

message 10: by Jayme (last edited May 07, 2018 03:25PM) (new)

Jayme | 2651 comments I read Lilac Girls Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

2 points- author's name in purple
1 point- author is living
4 points- 476 pages
2 points- 60% set in Poland/Germany/France

Total: 14 points

message 11: by Claire (last edited May 10, 2018 01:03PM) (new)

Claire  | 299 comments Lily and the Octopus Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley Steven Rowley 336 p. 8 may 2018 3 stars

Title:
4 pts – Title starts with the letter F, L, O, W, E, R =9 points

1 pts – Has a recommendation blurb on the front cover =6 points

Author:

4 pts – Author's first or last name starts with P, O, W, E, R (count once)
1 pts – Is living. =5 points

3 points - 301-400 =3 points

Total 23 points

message 12: by Eliestal (last edited May 15, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I read La Dame aux camélias La Dame aux camélias by Alexandre Dumas fils by Alexandre Dumas fils - 369p for this challenge.
I found myself enjoying French litterature more and more recently and this book was no exception. It was a tragic story based on a love story of the author with a courtesan (demimonde) Marie Duplessis.
It was a fairly easy read with a harsh few chapters. I gave it 4 stars as it kept me wanting to read from beginning to end.

Title:
5 pts – Title consists of 4 words
4 pts – Title starts with the letter F, L, O, W, E, R (La)

Cover:

Author:

How many pages:
3 points - 301-400

Bonus May points:
2 points - Roodmas: A catholic priest hears the confession of Margerite and (view spoiler).
2 points - Europe Day: The book is set in Paris.

Total: 21 points

message 13: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Nice work guys. Some ripper scores this month!

message 14: by Sue Q (new)

Sue Q | 289 comments I read Blowing on Dandelions Blowing on Dandelions (Love Blossoms in Oregon, #1) by Miralee Ferrell by Miralee Ferrell

3 points - is 395 pages long
2 points - pastor in book (throughout)

Total: 6 points

message 15: by Silver (last edited May 20, 2018 10:53PM) (new)

Silver | 494 comments I read Roses and Rot by Kat Howard Roses and Rot by Kat Howard

Title

Cover

Author:
1 pts – Is living

3 points - 301-400

International Bird Day - Come on, how could I let this one go by. A bird plays a part in your story. Not like "a flock of pigeons flew past" but like "a pigeon delivered an important message so I didn't die". Explain, but with spoilers if necessary.

Birds make several appereances in the story most importantly

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15575 comments I read Purple Hibiscus Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Title:
0 pts

Author:
1 pts – Is living

3 points - 301-400

Roodmas - there is a Christian priest, pastor, minister, missionary or the like in your book.

Total: 7 points

I got one more point than I thought, so amazingly no gluestick for me :)

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1191 comments I read Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. I loved it. It reminded me of game of thrones with it's huge cast of POV characters with each their own motivations and my own attitude and allegiances to them constantly changing. It took forever to read though and I had a love/hate with the pidgin English. 4 stars. I will have to read the next one soon

Title:
0 pts

Cover:
0 pts

Author:
3 pts - Is Indian
1 pt - Is living

Pages:
4 pts - 468 pages before the glossary

Bonus:
0 pts - The Ibis is the glue that binds the story but... it's a boat.

Total:
8 pts

message 18: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1670 comments I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan for the May challenge.

Cover

Author
1 pts – Is living

How many pages?
2 points – 201-300 (252 pages)

No title points, no bonus points

Total 4 points

message 19: by Mansi (new)

Mansi Talegaonkar Read No orchids for Miss Blandish by James Hadley Chase

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Mansi wrote: "Read No orchids for Miss Blandish by James Hadley Chase"

Great Mansi! Can you report how many points you got please from the above list?

message 21: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2035 comments I read The Poppy Girls by Margaret Dickinson for the challenge, just happened to have it from the library, so not chosen specifically for the challenge. I don't usually read many books of this type, but this wasn't too bad, ended up giving it three stars.

Pages - 509 pages - 5 points
Bonus - set in the UK and Belgium - 2 points

Total 8 points

message 22: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 661 comments I read
Tulip Fever Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach

COVER: Recommendation blurb (1 point)
AUTHOR: Currently living (1 point)
PAGES: 201-300 pages (2 points)
BONUS: Roodmas (2 points)--(view spoiler)
Europe Day (2 points)--set in Netherlands

TOTAL: 8 points

message 23: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2931 comments I read The Topless Tulip Caper and found it disappointing.

Title:

Author:
1 pts – Is living

2 points – 201-300 (272 pages)

Total points: 13

message 24: by Cherie (last edited May 29, 2018 07:44PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I was originally going to use Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man as my read for this challenge, but it is the same point count as The Violets of March The Violets of March by Sarah Jio which I listened to earlier in the month. So here are my points - the same as Casceil's.

2 points-author's name in purple
1 point-author is living
2 points-296 pages
2 points-Catholic Priest hears confession of main character, and later visits her home

Total: 12 points

I am going to use Daisy Fay for my ZZ challenge because it was originally titled Coming Attractions and allows me to check off another task.

message 25: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Nice work everyone!

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2018 06:54AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51865 comments I read Dandelion Wine for the challenge. My edition was the audiobook so cover points are based on the most popular edition.
Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1) by Ray Bradbury

0 pts - Title
2 pts - Cover, author's name in purple
1 pts - Cover, recommendation blurb (from Time)
4 pts - Author, Ray Bradbury starts with letter R
2 pts - Pages, 239 pages

Total: 9 points

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2018 10:40AM) (new)

Kristie | 15183 comments I read Roses of May. I listened to the audiobook, so will use the most popular edition.

Roses of May (The Collector, #2) by Dot Hutchison

Title: 4

Cover: 0

Author: 1
1 pts – Is living

How many pages?: 3
3 points - 301-400 (302 pages)

Bonus May Points (2pts each that apply): 0
There was a priest, but he didn't play a big part. He was mentioned a couple of times. (view spoiler)

Total: 8

message 28: by Almeta (last edited May 31, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10511 comments Read 25 May

Title: Narcissus and Goldmund
0 pts

Cover
4 pts – Is 70% red or white (Flag Day, Poland) Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse

Author: Hermann Hesse
0 pts

How many pages?
3 points - 301-400

2pts Roodmas - there is a Christian priest in your book.
2pts Europe Day - 60% set in a country in the European Union~Germany

Total 16 points

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1969 comments My book was Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke

1 pts – Is living
3 points - 301-400

9 total, but at least it counts for something, which is better than I can say for the year long, where it fits tons of categories I already filled....

message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments I was worried there Beth, but there you go. Never knew there was a flower called bluebird. Not common over here or we have another name for it.

Glad some last minute reads are getting reported. I finished my book with 8 mins to go.

message 31: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2788 comments Lily Alone by Vivien Brown
Lily Alone

Title:

Author:
1 pts – Is living

4 points - 401-500

Bonus May Points (2pts each that apply): 4pts
Europe Day - the book is 60% set in a country in the European Union (28 countries - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea... . Last year the UK counts for this one)

Total points: 18 points
(I think that's the most points I've ever had for one of these challenges!)

message 32: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3627 comments I read The Rose of Sebastopol. The Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon

Title:

Author:
1 pts – Is living

How many pages? 394
3 points - 301-400

2 - Roodmas - there is a Christian priest, pastor, minister, missionary or the like in your book.
2 - Europe Day - the book is 60% set in a country in the European Union - London, England

Total 13 points

message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments I read Empress Orchid Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

Title:
Cover:
Only 57% white dammit
1 pt – Has a recommendation blurb on the front cover
Author:
1 pt – Is living
How many pages?:
3 points - 301-400

Total - 9 points

message 34: by Sue Q (new)

Sue Q | 289 comments Here are all the different kinds of flowers we read!

description description description description description description description description description description description description description description description

message 35: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments That's great Sue Q! Thanks for doing the research :D

message 36: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10511 comments Sue Q wrote: "Here are all the different kinds of flowers we read!

"

Coooooool!

message 37: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3627 comments Sue Q wrote: "Here are all the different kinds of flowers we read!

"

Wow!

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15575 comments I didn't see this before, but cool! Thanks Sue!

message 39: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments I'll badge over the weekend. Sorry for the delay all.

message 40: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Everyone should be badged now. Please let me know if I missed you.

Grats to Claire for being our tall poppy.
And commiserations to TrudyAn for the gluestick forgetting to water her flowers.

message 41: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1670 comments Yay! I finally won the gluestick! I have been close so many times. Thanks for the great challenge, Rusalka!

message 42: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments TrudyAn wrote: "Yay! I finally won the gluestick! I have been close so many times. Thanks for the great challenge, Rusalka!"

Anytime!

message 43: by Sue Q (new)

Sue Q | 289 comments The badge is so pretty!! Thank you!

message 44: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17850 comments Sue Q wrote: "The badge is so pretty!! Thank you!"

Glad you like it :D