Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
This topic is about Emperor of Thorns
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Emperor of Thorns [May 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 230 (230 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
[Day, Chapter, Pages]
10th: Prologue - Chapter 3 (47)
12th: Chapter 4 - 7 (43)
14th: Chapter 8 - 10 (55)
16th: Chapter 11 - 15 (43)
18th: Chapter 16 - 22 (60)x
20th: Chapter 23 - 25 (41)
22nd: Chapter 26 - 32 (75)x
24th: Chapter 33 - 37 (67)
26th: Chapter 38 - 43 (42)x
28th: Chapter 44 - 48 (51)x
30th: Chapter 49 - 54 (51)x

Anni | 5048 comments Yey, can't wait!

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I'll do what I did with the last book in joining a week late and finishing a week early.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments I like that we're trying out a different schedule type. Buddy reading pioneers right here! XD

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments In! Already have the audiobook purchased.

message 7: by Hailee (last edited May 22, 2018 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2612 comments Siobhan wrote: "I like that we're trying out a different schedule type. Buddy reading pioneers right here! XD"

Me too. I think this schedule will suit me better since I found I tended to read bigger chunks of Prince and King and then I can leave it for a day or two, rather than reading really small chunks everyday.

Zaara | 4273 comments 😊 Kirov reporting, Major Anni.

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Zaara,
Have you read Red Sister? What is your opinion on it?
I've kind of been hatin' on it over at the forum...

Zaara | 4273 comments Nope @Jess. Been meaning to but chose WoK buddy read instead. It'll be interesting to see how ML does a female MC...
Was it too terrible?
Oh noooooo!
What did he do wrong?? Wait, don't tell me.
When I read it I will go over to the thred and enjoy the delicious cribbing...and I promise I wont get hot and bothered + try to defend it or get ppl to read it...like I do with THIS trilogy.

Virginie | 5795 comments Still here, lurking and peeping!

@Jess & Zaara: Red Sister was the first book by ML I read and... I ended up very disappointed. Not that I hated the book but it was just an 'ok read' for me. And Zaara... You know how much I love ML's work :o

message 12: by Zaara (last edited May 05, 2018 12:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4273 comments Virginie wrote: "Red Sister was the first book by ML I read and... I ended up very disappointed. Not that I hated the book but it was just an 'ok read' for me. And Z..."

Et tu, Brute??
You were in the Red Sister BR too, weren't you Virginie? Wasn't this @Iain's first ML...and it HAD to be the cruddy not so good one! Darn cuz I really wanted him to like our boy Mark...

EDIT: I will now drown my sorrows by finishing Wheel of Osheim...

Virginie | 5795 comments Nah, I didn't have time to re-read. I read it last year, and rushed through it. In hindsight, I should have taken my time and savoured ML's prose.

message 14: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Iain said it was forgettable. Not interesting, etc.

But you know how he plows thru things.

Im literally reading one chapter a day w Red Sister. Eh.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments Hey, I liked Red Sister a lot. Grey Sister too, though it was slow through the middle.

Those were what made me go back and start over with Broken Empire.

message 16: by Zaara (last edited May 07, 2018 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4273 comments Oh! Forgettable 😂😂😂 well....tks for your insights Jess...I'll keep that in mind. But how are y'all gonna get thru Book 2, since Lannister says (and rightly so) that Grey Sister will be even more leisurely??
ML does that you know...he tends to keep the second book for character dev and exposition + all the buildups/set pieces for his big finishes.
So many ppl dropped out of Liar's Key for this very reason...😂😂😂

@Lannister...man😄😃😀 yous comment gives me hope
@Niki liked it too, if I remember correctly.

message 17: by jess (last edited May 07, 2018 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Zaara wrote: "Oh! Forgettable 😂😂😂 well....tks for your insights Jess...I'll keep that in mind. But how are y'all gonna get thru Book 2, since Lannister says (and rightly so) that Grey Sister will be even more le..."

Im 60% and I dont think i will be reading Grey Sister. There just hasnt been enough excitement and Im still confused on the “magic” system.

But I will def be reading Red queen’s war after this Broken Empire series because I HAVE seen how good ML can be.

Zaara | 4273 comments Ok if you're reading RQW may I suggest you bookmark the current Osheim thread and deffo refer to @Virginie's excellent notes on the magic system...well, actually all her comments.
I found it a bit confusing too but she sorted it all out.
You won't need it for the first two books but the third one DID get me on that front...like I say...she fixed it TOTALLY.

message 19: by Hailee (last edited May 09, 2018 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2612 comments Since I have so far been reading ML's books in the order they have been published I think I'll continue doing that so I'll read the Red Queen War trilogy next and the move onto Red Sister, Grey Sister, Purple Sister (or whatever colour the next sister is lol)

message 20: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Maybe we can continue with RQW together after finishing this (and a little break 😅)?

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Anni wrote: "Maybe we can continue with RQW together after finishing this (and a little break 😅)?"

Yes! :D

message 22: by Hailee (last edited May 09, 2018 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2612 comments Anni wrote: "Maybe we can continue with RQW together after finishing this (and a little break 😅)?"

Sounds good to me. I'll fit them into my schedule somehow 🤯!!

message 23: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Hailee wrote: "Since I have so far been reading ML's books in the order they have been published I think I'll continue doing that so I'll read the Red Queen War trilogy next and the move onto Red Sister, Grey Sis..."

Yes!!!

Anni wrote: "Maybe we can continue with RQW together after finishing this (and a little break 😅)?"

I vote Purple! 🤣

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Anni wrote: "Maybe we can continue with RQW together after finishing this (and a little break 😅)?"

Count me in!

message 25: by jess (last edited May 09, 2018 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Hey ladies, I was picked to choose 5 books for the Book fo the Month for July.

Please go vote for your most desired read!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Prologue to chapter 3 - (view spoiler)

message 27: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments I’ve got to finish Steelheart (33%) then I’ll catch up!

message 28: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited May 11, 2018 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Same, same @Siobhan 😆

Prologue-chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 29: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Ok, I rushed thru Steelheart to get to this! Better be good ML!

Plus, Im still slugging thru Red Sister.🤪

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Wow, Jess! Speed reader! Was Steelheart good?

message 31: by Siobhan (last edited May 12, 2018 02:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Chapters 4 - 7.

(view spoiler)

My kindle reckons the next chapter is 35 mins long! That's pretty big for these books. This one must be much longer than the first two.

Hailee | 2612 comments I found the 'story so far pages' really useful, even though I haven't left too much of a gap between books. Wish authors did that more often in series.

Prologue - Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

I'm still a bit behind but I'll read chapters 4-7 tomorrow so I'll be back on track for the 14th.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments @Hailee I really appreciated the 'story so far' recap too. Especially the reminder of how they elect emperors and where we had left him in the four years earlier thread. I'd forgotten, even though we only finished it weeks ago! 😂

Siobhan wrote: "Chapters 4 - 7.
(view spoiler)

message 34: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Siobhan wrote: "Wow, Jess! Speed reader! Was Steelheart good?"

Steelheart was good for a YA but mediocre for a novel. Like, I could se Sanderson in parts of it but it couldve been a diff author most of the time.

Prologue-ch3
(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Laura wrote: "@Hailee I really appreciated the 'story so far' recap too. Especially the reminder of how they elect emperors and where we had left him in the four years earlier thread. I'd forgotten, even though ..."

I also really appreciated the recap! So helpful.

Laura, chapters 4-7 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Hailee wrote: "I found the 'story so far pages' really useful, even though I haven't left too much of a gap between books. Wish authors did that more often in series.

Prologue - Chapter 3 Yeah I definately agree..."

Haha I was the same Hailee. My memory is bad but I was hoping not that bad!

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments Don't feel too bad. I had to set this down for a few days while away on business and today I can't remember most of what I've listened to in this book.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Haha, oh no! If Lawrence could just give us a 'story so far' recap every few chapters that would be swell 😂

message 39: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I'm little late... My Grandma's birthday was on Thursday and on Friday we were invited to a wedding and I need recovering time on Saturday... so I had a great but read-less time 😂 I'm finally starting tonight!

message 40: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Anni wrote: "I'm little late... My Grandma's birthday was on Thursday and on Friday we were invited to a wedding and I need recovering time on Saturday... so I had a great but read-less time 😂 I'm finally start..."

Recovering time for me IS reading time! It is how I recharge, rest, sometimes “work” if its like, the last 100 pages that I’m screaming through!

Zaara | 4273 comments Anni wrote: "I'm finally start..."

Me too...

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments Heh. I got into it good today and I'm doing alright. There is still some "huh??" stuff, but I think it's supposed to be there.

Oh, and I'm glad y'all mentioned the "Story so far" section. I had to find an ebook to peek at for that, as it wasn't in my audiobook. They did include one in Grey Sister, though, for what it's worth.

message 43: by Anni (last edited May 14, 2018 11:51PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Jess wrote: "Anni wrote: "I'm little late... My Grandma's birthday was on Thursday and on Friday we were invited to a wedding and I need recovering time on Saturday... so I had a great but read-less time 😂 I'm ..."

Normally yes, but I was too tired to read and I was a little hungover... not too bad but I don't felt like doing anything 'productive' at all 😂

message 44: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I read the first part and I hope I'm able to catch up tomorrow :)

Prologue to Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

The 'story so far' section was great, every author should do this!!! Also the way it is written made me laugh.
The quote is great Laura, that one stood out for me too!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Haha yay at least we're not alone with that, Anni! XD

Chapter 8 - (view spoiler)

message 46: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments I love this quote from Ch8...

"They all spoke, often as once, laughing, cramming in food past their words, speaking of foolishness, games they played, dreams they had, 'might-have-been's and might-be's. The easy talk that children share, that Will and I shared. Strange to think of these boys bound about by so many rules and seeming so free, and my road-brothers, unbound by law or conscience, yet so guarded and bitter in their conversation, each word edged and weighted, as if they were every one of them trapped and seeking escape each moment of their lives."

message 47: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Wait a darn minute.

“Jorg” isnt pronounced as George?????!!!!!!

message 48: by Hailee (last edited May 14, 2018 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2612 comments Chapter 4-7

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Hailee (last edited May 14, 2018 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2612 comments Jess wrote: "Wait a darn minute.

“Jorg” isnt pronounced as George?????!!!!!!"

According to Mark Lawrence it's pronounced:

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/1...

I only found this page halfway through King. I've always pronounced it as Yorg and can't seem to change it now even though I know it's wrong... oh well

message 50: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited May 16, 2018 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Chapter 7 question(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4 5