Catholic Thought discussion

Gathering Space > Reviews of Catholic Books

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 4206 comments Mod
I just realized we don't have a folder for book reviews. So I created this folder to post either our own review of a book or a link to a book review in an article. Books for review should have a Catholic connection, though not necessarily directly Catholic. It should be of interest to our book club. We can also post our reviews of books we read here.

message 2: by Manny (last edited May 03, 2018 05:34AM) (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 4206 comments Mod
The first book for this folder is of a review I just came across for Hell and the Mercy of God by Adrian J. Reimers. I have not read this book, but Fr. James Schall piqued my interest with an excellent review of it in his article, "What We Know About Evil, Hell, and Final Damnation," here:
https://www.crisismagazine.com/2018/k...

Here are a couple of passages that explain the book.

This new book contains eight chapters, the mere listing of which gives a good overview of its basic subject matter: “The Fall of Satan,” “Original Sin and the Fall,” “Judgment and the Mystery of Evil,” “Resurrection and Final Judgment,” “Mystery of Iniquity,” “Hell on Earth,” “Damnation,” and “The Fullness of Good.”

And

This book faces the difficult question about the punishment due to sin. All love is rooted in the initial love that God has for us. No love in its depths reaches only the finite beloved. Present in all love is the love that God has for each of his creatures. In loving our neighbor, even the worst sinner, we love what God loves in him. But God’s love for us includes a final judgment about our lives. We are finally placed where we want to be. If we reject God, there is no middle ground. We end up in the kingdom that Satan has created. Reimers’ account of the logic of this kingdom is very detailed and insightful.

Seems interesting. I've put in my Want To Read list.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 218 comments Manny wrote: I've put in my Want To Read list.
Me too! Thanks!