Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) Blood Song discussion

Books similar to "Blood song" by Anthony ryan

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johan (last edited May 03, 2018 05:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Johan Hello there!

As the tilte says, I'm looking for a book that is similar to Blood song.

Although I believe clarifications are in order;
I want the part of an "elite warrior/scout/assassin in training, but with only a touch of fantasy.

As of right now I am reading "The name of the wind", and tho I'm really enjoying the book, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Its too much arcane fantasy (you know, the magic part) and not enough "beeing in the wild survival". Atleast not this far, and I've almost finished the book.

I hope you get my meaning and what I'm looking for!

Roos Have you looked at the books from Robin Hobb? Those are Fantasy books with a strong mentorship element.
I also thought of the Ranger's apprentice books from John Flanagan but these are middle school books and I don't know if an adult would like them.

message 3: by Johan (last edited May 03, 2018 10:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Johan Roos wrote: "Have you looked at the books from Robin Hobb? Those are Fantasy books with a strong mentorship element.
I also thought of the Ranger's apprentice books from John Flanagan but these are middle schoo..."

I've read all but the latest tho trilogies from Hobb, but that is not quite what I'm after, tho they are really good.
I actually looked in to Flanagns, but as you mentioned I'm afraid they are directed to a younger audiance.

Tamar THE BLADE ITSELF BY Joe Abercrombie

RED RISING

The Emperor's Blades

Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1)
by Sebastien de Castell (Goodreads Author)

message 5: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Booth ^^ what he said, i was going to do the same list

THE BLADE ITSELF BY Joe Abercrombie

RED RISING

The Emperor's Blades

Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1)

Tamar Ben wrote: "^^ what he said, i was going to do the same list

THE BLADE ITSELF BY Joe Abercrombie

RED RISING

The Emperor's Blades

Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1)"

what she said :)

Tyler Luko Honestly, when I read what you're looking for I thought of The Emperor's Blades like these other 3. I mostly read Fantasy and Epic Fantasy, but I really enjoyed that series. I believe it will have what you're looking for, and it has slight amounts of magic, but it's not the center of the book.

Johan I will definitely try them out!

Anonymous_User1315 I strongly recommend the aforementioned books as well as The Red Knight by Miles Cameron and House of Blades by Will Wight.

However, what I believe you will most enjoy as it is closest to your prescribed guidelines is The Tattered Banner by Duncan M. Hamilton although I do like the other books more.

Chris Chapman Red Riding is an incredible series.

Chris Chapman Red Rising*

Patrick Agree w Red Rising, pretty much all of Abercrombie’s series, and really enjoyed the Traitor’s Blade books. Some other suggestions:

- Nevernight Chronicles by Jay Kristoff.

- Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch.

- Book of the Ancestor series by Mark Lawrence. In fact, everything from Lawrence is fantastic.

- Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan

- Riyria Chronicles series by Michael J. Sullivan

Hope that helps.

message 13: by Anonymous_User1315 (last edited Sep 22, 2019 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anonymous_User1315 Here's my two cents
As for assassins/warriors in training:

- The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

- The Wolf of the North by Duncan Hamilton

And a few lesser known fantasy novels that I enjoy:

- Today is Too Late by Burke Fitzpatrick

- The Prince of Ravens by Hal Emerson

- Blackwing by Ed McDonald

- Kings of Paradise by Richard Nell

I tried not to mention any previously mentioned books because of redundancy but special shout out to Will Wight, I love his books.

Mohammad Taha The faithful and the fallen by john gwynne