Play Book Tag discussion

My Sister's Keeper
This topic is about My Sister's Keeper
May 2018: Family Drama > My sister's keeper (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ghofrane Faidi | 2 comments I gave this 4 stars
Frankly, I watched the movie long ago but as I found it somehow unsatisfying I wanted to dig deeper in the characters'lives, to get to know them better and maybe alter the way I perceived some of them and I wasn't disappointed! Jodi picoult offered me the genuine depth I was expecting from such a captivating plot.
When I first saw the movie I was mad at how Anna's parents(especially the mom) shaped her life for the sole pupose of saving her sister. But reading the book made me empathize with all the family members as I learned more about the struggles and tragedies they had to live with for years.
I was also glad that Jesse, the older brother, had a more developped story in the novel because he, as well, had his own heartbreaks and disappointments.
And I really loved and enjoyed reading about the lawyer and his highschool sweetheart. Despite their heart-wrenching backstories, these two had their own relatively happy ending and while the main story about Anna and her family tends to be more critical all along the book theirs seems to get pieced together gradually.

As for the ending it was so unexpected and terribly sad for the whole family but I still thought it was a good one basically because when the story is as deep and complicated from the very beginning as this one making a happy ending would have made it a little bit unrealistic and it wouldn't have made people study and analyse the topics and issues the novel is dealing with. So ultimately making it medically and thematically realistic was a good choice.

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments I feel like I read this one a long, long time ago (pre-Goodreads) and really liked it. Picoult is the best at coming up with these moral dilemmas and then showing all sides. I wish I could actually recall the ending, but I can tell from your review that it was very moving!

message 3: by Cynda (last edited May 04, 2018 02:07PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Based on your comment Anita, I will remember that reading Picoult is a good option.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments This one made me cry when I read it. I'm very good at seeing and understanding things from many different sides so I think that's why it made me emotional because I was just so torn.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven’t read anything by this author. My best friend loves her and just gave me a stack of her books. Maybe it’s time to read the first one.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9369 comments Rachel, you would love this author. But some are standouts. My personal favorite of hers is the Storyteller. You have a very good friend.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6402 comments I think this is the only Picoult work I've read.

evsbooks | 17 comments I watched the movie before I read the book and was expecting the same sort of thing. They were really different though and I enjoyed this book so much more because of it. It was a really great piece of writing and the ending did make me cry.

Based on the other comments I might read some more of Picoult's work :)