James Bond discussion

You Only Live Once
This topic is about You Only Live Once
James Bond meets One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haris (new) - added it

Haris | 2 comments For those who like Carl Hiassen and comic thrillers in general. "You Only Live Once" received a killer review on Kirkus.

"A psychiatric patient who believes he’s a British spy escapes from a mental institution and finds himself embroiled in real intrigue in this debut comedy. Orkin pays comedic homage to Cervantes’ Don Quixote, the obvious fictional inspiration for James’ flights of deluded fantasy. But unlike that work’s treatment of Quixote’s hallucinations, it remains tantalizingly unclear if James is sane or not—he’s uncannily talented at being an action hero for someone theatrically posing as one. The author’s prose is so buoyant that it borders on gleeful, with James dispensing words of wisdom to Sancho (“A man is like a teabag….You never know how strong he is until you dip him in hot water”). Orkin skillfully manages to create a story that is genuinely amusing, tenderly moving, and decidedly thoughtful. A manically funny farce both delightfully absurd and strangely plausible." Kirkus

https://lnkd.in/gAD4Snu

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill Sounds like fun! I've put it straight on my TBR list.

message 3: by Haris (new) - added it

Haris | 2 comments Cool. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think.