Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > May/June books! The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas & Radium Girls: The Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Helen, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Helen | 44 comments Mod
Dear OSS Members:

This was such a fun poll to watch, full of twists and turns, like a good mystery novel. And you submitted some incredible book recommendations! In fact, we had such positive feedback and wonderful suggestions that we’re going to make the OSS Readers’ Choice a regular feature.

With two amazing books at the top that were so close in votes, we decided to declare double winners for May/June.

So, we are extremely excited to announce the first place winner: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Angie Thomas’ extraordinary debut novel, originally written for the YA market, carries a critically important and urgent message about how gun violence, racism and police brutality disproportionately affect communities of color. This ground-breaking book transcends any age bracket and we think it should be required reading for, well, everyone. With intelligence, heart and unflinching honesty, author Angie Thomas makes us laugh, cry and cheer, while 16 year-old Starr finds her voice and a way to fight the system. We’ve had our eye on this award-winner and were saving it for a future pick, but are thrilled that you beat us to it. As an added plus, for our global OSS family, the publisher tells us the book has been translated into over 20 languages.

Coming in a very close second, we are equally inspired to see that you selected: Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Women by Kate Moore

When Kate Moore found out that her book was in the running for OSS’s May/June selection, she gave us a shout out on Twitter. Don’t know if this boosted the vote, but we do know that this is a brilliant nonfiction book, so compellingly told, that it reads like fiction and deserves wide-spread attention. Sadly, the tragic stories here are true and as a recent news article stated "The Radium Girls - Still Glowing in Their Coffins.” Because of the way Kate Moore brings the science, personal stories and facts to light, we know what these unsuspecting women (as young as 16) endured. Their brave efforts fighting the US Radium Corporation to bring justice created milestones for modern occupational hazard law and reveal what we know today about radium’s effect on the human body.

So, please let us know what you’re planning to read. And we want you to know that we are continually astounded with the quality and depth of thought-provoking dialogue that you contribute to Our Shared Shelf. It makes us feel very proud to be part of building this wise and welcoming intersectional feminist community. Needless to say, we are really looking forward to the discussions around your May/June winners.

Love,

Team Our Shared Shelf x

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Griffiths  (katemariegriffiths) | 73 comments This is so amazing! 2 books yay!!!! 📖

message 3: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin | 25 comments That's great news! I'll go and order both books right now :-)

message 4: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 21 comments Yeah I'm thrilled that there are two winners, because I read 'The hate U give' already (Loved it!). Gonna order 'Radium Girls' right now :)
Looking forward to all the discussions about these books.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 37 comments 2 amazing books, great :) I voted for Radium Girls and I'm looking very much forward to reading it !!

message 6: by Britt (last edited May 03, 2018 01:25AM) (new)

Britt | 123 comments Yay, it's great to have two winners!

I won't be choosing between them and will read them both - I've already started The Hate U Give and so far (five chapters in) I love it!

Radium Girls looks very interesting too - I didn't know about these historical events, but it's very easy to imagine things like these still happen all over the world, unfortunately.

Thank you OSS, for providing me with such a diverse and interesting reading list and for the great discussions going on here. :)

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments great stuff it would be brilliant if Emma could read the books and review them. Also author interviews by her would be great.

message 8: by Emilie (new)

Emilie I will read them both, I will start with the one that is available first at the library.

message 9: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (cloweelou) | 16 comments Going to have to pass on The Radium Girls as it can’t be found in the UK. I’ve tried Waterstones, WHSmith, Amazon UK, Simon & Schuster UK, musicMagpie, Tesco, and Hive. All I can find out is it seems it’ll be republished in paperback in 2019/2020...

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (the_fragranceofdarkcoffee) | 2 comments I’ve seen Radium Girls on the shelves but was always hesitant to pick it up. This gives me the perfect excuse to finally read it!!

message 11: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments Just started "The Hate U Give" and I'm hooked already.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 11 comments I going to read The Hate U Give and hopefully get my hands on The Radium Girls.

message 13: by Carla (new)

Carla Albarracin | 4 comments Chloe wrote: "Going to have to pass on The Radium Girls as it can’t be found in the UK. I’ve tried Waterstones, WHSmith, Amazon UK, Simon & Schuster UK, musicMagpie, Tesco, and Hive. All I can find out is it see..."

Hi Chloe!! You can also find it in bookdepository :)

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (manderin07) | 2 comments Will definitely be reading both! Very excited about it!

message 15: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 21 comments For Germany: There is a German Version of 'The Hate U Give' with the same title from cbj Verlag. Radium Girls seems to be available only in English (order from your bookdealer or amazon) :)

message 16: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (betsyc1219) | 1 comments Great idea to have a vote! I’ll be reading both as I’m almost finished with The Hate U Give! The Radium Girls looks fascinating! Happy Reading ❤️❤️

message 17: by Vinetra (new)

Vinetra Rodrigues | 2 comments I gonna order Radium Girls right away.
Also I voted for it!

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebubowicz) I love this! I already read The Hate U Give, so I’ll be reading Radium Girls!

message 19: by Hemma_J (new)

Hemma_J | 2 comments I voted for 'The Hate U Give' and am so happy that it got chosen...maybe I'll even re-read it. :)

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) Loved "The Hate U Give" so much when I read it earlier this year.BIt soon for a re-read for me. But am very glad "Radium Girls" was also picked. Been meaning to pick this up for awhile.

message 21: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah May (rebekahmay) | 7 comments I loved THUG when I read it!!! Might give it a reread just because. I’ve had Radium Girls for a while as well so this is the perfect excuse to read it! I’m so excited for the next two months :)

message 22: by Laure (new)

Laure | 390 comments "The Hate U Give" has been on my to-read list for months. Glad it's been picked. The other book looks super-interesting as well!

(I liked Helen's intro but... I miss Emma's ^^')

message 23: by Fatma (new)

Fatma Al-Qais (fyalqais) | 1 comments I’ll be adding The Hate U Give to my list of May’s TBR! Very excited to start reading it as Ive heard amazing reviews about it.

message 24: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Laure wrote: "(I liked Helen's intro but... I miss Emma's ^^')"

Same.

Hm, thank you Nadine for checking that out - English is fine for me, but I know how it is when English is NOT so easy to deal with... *been there, done that*

I will start with "The Hate U Give" and then look into The Radium Girls...

message 25: by Elyse (last edited May 03, 2018 05:31AM) (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 14 comments Excellent choices!! I listened to Radium Girls not too long ago and it's horrific and amazing. I just picked it up at the library yesterday, having not even know it was chosen! :) I was pretty far down on the holds list on Overdrive and when I was renewing my book yesterday, I saw it and grabbed it! So excited to read it!

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments I have ordered both from the library. Both sound like great choices.

message 27: by Ericka (new)

Ericka Clouther (eralon) | 4 comments I already read The Hate You Give so I will be reading Radium Girls.

message 28: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1025 comments Mod
Ooh two books! Excellent!

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily Buck | 3 comments Awesome!! So excited to read the Hate U Give

message 30: by Lckeller (new)

Lckeller | 2 comments I’ve had The Haye U Give on my reading list for over a year and multiple friends have given it 5 ⭐️. This is the nudge I needed to pick it up!

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 82 comments Life has been crazy these last few months and I haven’t been able to keep up with reading or discussions on OSS lately. Things are starting to slow down and I think I’ll finally be able to start again! Yay!

Anywho, I think I’m going to start with Radium Girls. I’d like to read both eventually...

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara (sraquel93) | 4 comments Yes!!
I'm super excited that we will be reading The Hate You Give. It has been on my shelf for a while.

message 33: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 21 comments MeerderWörter wrote:
Hm, thank you Nadine for checking that out - English is fine for me, but I know how it is when English is NOT so easy to deal..."

I guess it will not be an easy read in English, but Challenge accepted ;)

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue Dix | 9 comments This is awesome! I love The Hate U Give and I have Radium Girls in my TBR. I voted for Radium Girls, so, YAY!! I'm glad that this will become a regular feature. It was so fun to vote and to watch for the results.

message 35: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 35 comments Wow!! I had The hate you give on my TBR list this year so I’m going to pick that one up! Woo hoo!

message 36: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Brydges (spbrydges) | 4 comments The hate U give was a fantastic read I’m glad it was chosen!

message 37: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford | 39 comments I have the hate you give but not the radium girls! I've heard of their history though so I'm excited to learn more ! Great choices!

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma Clement (emmatclement) | 2032 comments Yay!!! I am so excited :)

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 1 comments I loved The Hate U Give! I'd heard of Radium Girls and am excited to read it. It's been a while since I've delved into a good non-fiction book!

message 40: by Nikolei (new)

Nikolei Luis | 3 comments I totally have The Hate U Give but I don’t have the other one. It seems really interesting too 🙂

message 41: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie Stanley | 1 comments Yay! I am so excited to read both of these! I'm starting with The Hate U Give because I've almost picked it up half a million times. And if life doesn't get in my way too much, I'm definitely going to read Radium Girls, too.

Madeleine (Top Shelf Text) (madeleineriley) I've read both of these and loved both! The Radium Girls is a pretty large book but so worth the time it took to read!

message 43: by Alice (new)

Alice (prftta) | 3 comments I've already read The Hate U Give this year, but I am so happy that Radium Girls was picked. It gives me the boost to go ahead and pick it up! What great picks!

message 44: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (goodreadscombriannajaye) | 2 comments This sounds fantastic! Two books! I’m so excited to read these.

message 45: by Sherry-Lynn (new)

Sherry-Lynn (creativesherry) | 2 comments Both of these sounds sound great! However, I am going to read the Angie Thomas book for this group and put Radium Girls on my must read list!

message 46: by Elaine Mullane (new)

Elaine Mullane || At Home in Books (elainemullane) | 1 comments Great choices! I've been meaning to get to both but especially The Hate U Give. Looking forward to reading along and hearing what everybody thinks!

message 47: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 4 comments Chloe wrote: "Going to have to pass on The Radium Girls as it can’t be found in the UK. I’ve tried Waterstones, WHSmith, Amazon UK, Simon & Schuster UK, musicMagpie, Tesco, and Hive. All I can find out is it see..."

I'm with you Chloe, I see it's a whopping £12.08 on Wordery, but with all these people reading it, we should find second hand copies in a couple of years!

message 48: by Martina (new)

Martina Simpson | 1 comments Talk about fate. My local library just advised me today that my request for The Radium Girls has just arrived. Excited to pick it up and get started.

message 49: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Nadine wrote: "MeerderWörter wrote:
Hm, thank you Nadine for checking that out - English is fine for me, but I know how it is when English is NOT so easy to deal..."

I guess it will not be an easy read in Engli..."

As long as it's not as complicated as His Dark Materials...
Challenge accepted:)

message 50: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 89 comments Jazzy wrote: "Chloe wrote: "Going to have to pass on The Radium Girls as it can’t be found in the UK. I’ve tried Waterstones, WHSmith, Amazon UK, Simon & Schuster UK, musicMagpie, Tesco, and Hive. All I can find..."

Did you try the library? I was able to put a hold on The Hate U Give.

« previous 1 3