Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I can't believe it has taken me so long to start pushing this book, it is one of my very favorites!

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

California's gold country, 1850. A time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep.

Angel expects nothing from men but betrayal. Sold into prostitution as a child, she survives by keeping her hatred alive. And what she hates most are the men who use her, leaving her empty and dead inside.

Then she meets Michael Hosea. A man who seeks his Father's heart in everything, Michael obeys God's call to marry Angel and to love her unconditionally. Slowly, day by day, he defies Angel's every bitter expectation, until despite her resistance, her frozen heart begins to thaw.

But with her unexpected softening come overwhelming feelings of unworthiness and fear. And so Angel runs. Back to the darkness, away from her husband's pursuing love, terrified of the truth she no longer can deny: Her final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael does...the One who will never let her go.

A powerful retelling of the book of Hosea, Redeeming Love is a life-changing story of God's unconditional, redemptive, all consuming love.

This is one of the most beautiful redeeming love stories of all time, and even if you aren't a Christian, I KNOW you will be touched by this story. It is so powerful and ugh...you all just have to read it!!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yeah...and I mean what I say. Obviously there are Christian themes to the story, but all it takes to love this book is a beating heart.

I haven't read it in years, I need to re-read it one of these days.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments oooo, that is cool :)

I pushed it on my mom, and my mom then pushed it onto her best friend, who then pushed it on...and on....my copy ended up going around to SEVEN people in my parents' teeny tiny town.

You better believe I made sure I got it back though ;) haha.

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Okay Ladies. I detest a book where the central theme is a love story. Its okay if the theme is something else and happens to have a love story. I mean sexual tension is always really important in a book.

I read the synopsis and...well...don't hate me cause I like you guys...but...its sounds kinda lame.

Convince me ladies. I'm Christian. I don't have a problem with that angle.

message 5: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Hmmmm. I guess you never know tell you read a book. Besides, some of the best books I've ever read sounded really stupid or looked really boring. Example: The Count of Monte Cristo.

I'll trust you guys and put it in my TBR. Oooo perhaps I'll use it for one of the challenges.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Yep I'm going to use it for the 400+ page book.

message 7: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I'll give it a shot, Heather. But if it's going to make me cry (I cry alot with books, lame I know) then I'll make sure not to read it during lunch break at work. Embarassing.

message 8: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) My oldest daughter read this book and has given it out to so many people. She buys the book, gives it out, buys another copy etc..etc...Sad to say I have not read it yet. I guess I should plan on that one soon too. So much to read.

message 9: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments You know what Heather. Right now I'm reading the The First Man in Rome. I have an hour lunch break and I usually read during this time. I've tried to read Rome during this time but its too deep of a story...too many names that sound the same. I have to read it all quite in the basement to understand it. :) I think I'll pick Redeeming Love up and read it during my lighter lunch breaks. And if I have to cry then I'll just go out to my car and have it out.

message 10: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) This is the same author that wrote The Mark of the Lion series, which I loved. I've also read (and enjoyed) Redeeming Love, but I was overwhelmed by "A Voice in the Wind". I still have all three books on my Keeper shelf. She's a great writer in general.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I really want to read the Mark of the Lion series too!

message 12: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) You both have to read it and let me know what you think. It was years ago when I read it, probably when it first came out. You've got to love reading about Ancient Rome.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Redeeming Love is one of my favorite books! My friend got it for me as a gift a couple years ago and I was blown away. I LOVE it!! I have also read all three Mark of the Lion books and they are really good as well. Not quite as good as Redeeming Love for me, but still excellent. My favorite book of the trilogy was probably the last one, As Sure as the Dawn. So good! :)

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments I'm getting it from the library tomorrow!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yay Holly, you'll love it!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yeah Kimberly, I wanna read Mark of the Lion. I own the first one somewhere I think.

message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Have you read The Locket by Richard Paul Evans?

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments I really wanted to love Redeeming Love based on what so many of you have said about it. I liked it, and generally I thought the theme of redemption was wonderful, but didn't love it. Perhaps it didn't strike me as hard as some of you because having studied Hosea, upon which it was based, so I wasn't surprised by the story line.
I thought Michael's character was a bit unbelievable (but we are talking about a character based out of the Bible here - people led by God to do things we often can't understand). So, yes, I liked it, but Michael drove me nuts when he kept calling Sarah whatever name he felt like at the time...a little presumptuous on his part?