What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Set in Stone
This topic is about Set in Stone
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Dark YA, Gargoyles, Early 2000's. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren (silverinkblot) | 5 comments Okay, I read this one a reeeally long time ago - like, I must have been in late middle school at the earliest, so sometime around 2003 - 2005 (though the book itself may have been older). Standalone, not part of a series.

I want to say the title was something like "Heart of Stone," though of course searching for such a generic title gets me nowhere. I definitely recall that it had a faded yellow cover, and I think a circular doorknocker in the center? I must have found it in the YA section, cause I certainly wasn't browsing the Adult fiction at that age, but it would have been a very dark YA.

*PLOT SPOILERS NOW*

I can barely remember anything about the plot, but to the best of my memory it involved a girl that moved into an old house with gargoyles. The gargoyles were very prominent in the book - they didn't come alive or anything, but they popped up in the descriptors a lot. Naturally, a creepy Gothic house comes with a dark secret; this one involved a dead child, though I can't recall the exact circumstances - murder, stillborn, I don't know. I feel like there may have been incest involved. I think the baby may have been her sisters. I want to say the body was placed in a pond on the grounds, but I can't be sure. I remember the book ends shortly after the discovery of the secret - like, a handful of pages after.

*END SPOILERS*

I can't recall much more than this pretty bare-boned summary, but I'd appreciate any help tracking this sucker down - I've always wanted to read it again and see if it really was as dark as I recall.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4324 comments Cover doesn't match and not sure about the plot but have you looked at Heart of Stone?

message 3: by Andria (new)

message 4: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren (silverinkblot) | 5 comments Andria wrote: "Set in Stone"

Yes! This is it! I remember the name Marianne now, and Fourwinds now. Thank you!