2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

The Chemist
This topic is about The Chemist
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Chemist

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited May 09, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Stephenie Meyer‘s book, The Chemist.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Julia, Eirelyn, Joan, Kristy, Tina, Nikkin

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 130
Week 2: 130
Week 3: 130
Week 4: 130

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I've started this one and am through chapter 5. It has been overly wordy so far, but the plot finally seems to be picking up a bit. Hopefully it continues to move more quickly.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited May 03, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3285 comments There are certain authors that I've read and discovered they're just not for me. This is a book I will most definitely not touch with a ten-foot pole, and yet I was so curious that I listened to a sample of it on Overdrive when it came out in 2017... yeah...

May you ladies, have better luck with it :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it :)

Joan Barnett | 888 comments Lisa wrote: "There are certain authors that I've read and discovered they're just not for me. This is a book I will most definitely not touch with a ten-foot pole, and yet I was so curious that I listened to a ..."

She was the author that got me back into reading in 2009. While my tastes have changed since then, I still have a soft spot in my heart for her. I do like her connections between characters though. I seem to like her characters a lot. I was interested in this one to see how it is different (if at all) from her others.

message 6: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy Johnston | 358 comments I picked this up and read chapter one last night. I'll probably try to read a little on this every week though if the story becomes compelling and I can't put it down, I may go faster. I admit that I went through a phase where I read and reread the Twilight books over and over again though I never cared that much for the movies. I also enjoyed The Host though it wasn't one that I'll probably ever reread (unless she ever writes the rest of the series). I don't thinks she's a great writer per se but I enjoy her knack for storytelling and while I enjoy a really good writer now and again, I read more for the entertainment factor these days.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Kristin, I'm with you. Whether it's an author/book I enjoy or not, if it gets someone out there excited about reading, then that's a very good thing. :)

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I read the first chapter so far. It has my interest up.

So I'll tell my little story of how I got back into reading. Before kids, I was always reading a book but I probably didn't read as much as I do now (except for summer when I was a kid). I had gotten out of the habit of reading when the kids were little. I was too tired. I think I really only kept up with Nicholas Sparks and John Grisham when the kids were little. When my youngest was in kindergarten I was over at my friends house watching her kids and my kids and I picked up Twilight that she had on the coffee table. I started reading it and then kind of got absorbed and asked if I could take it home. Up until that point I hadn't read a YA as an adult. I was kind of snobby on it. But since then I figure a book is a book and I read whatever.

So I pretty much got back into reading after that. It was probably also my first fantasy book. Pretty much what I read up until that point was Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, some crime/mystery and horror.

Tina Haigler | 13 comments I am actually starting this book on Wed with a couple of goodreads friends :)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments I've had this book on my TBR shelf for about a year...maybe it's time to "pull it off the shelf" for a buddy read!

message 11: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Tina & Nikki - I have added you to the list of participants!

message 12: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Haigler | 13 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Tina & Nikki - I have added you to the list of participants!"

Thanks! I've read the first two chapters. I think I'm gonna like this one :)

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I've read the first four chapters. It is a little wordy. I'm hoping it starts to get more interesting now.

message 14: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm halfway through now and I'm not as invested in the characters as I want to be. I also don't have that feeling that I'm dying to see what happens next.

What does everyone else think of it?

message 15: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy Johnston | 358 comments I had to put this one down for a week while I finished another book that was due at the library but I'm going to try to pick it up again tomorrow after my book club meeting (I haven't read that book either so project for today).

I'm around 10% and I agree with Joan in that I'm not as invested in the characters as I want to be but I'm hoping for that to change since I'm not that far into it yet. I will say that that for some reason all the italicized words are kind of bugging me. Does Meyer normally do that and I'm so into the story that I don't notice them?

Since I'm not too far into the story and I'm not sure where it's going, this is probably a little early to say but I'm having a hard time with picturing this schoolteacher/girl's volleyball coach as a terrorist. I know, I know, it really can be anyone, they're good at blending in, but...I guess maybe I just know too many teachers to imagine one as a terrorist.

Stephanie | 40 comments It is slow going for me. I have been on Chapter 3 for a week now. I usually read before bed so I am falling asleep after reading a few paragraphs. I hope it picks up soon.

message 17: by Eirelyn (last edited May 21, 2018 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I just finished this book, and while I am a fan of suspenseful thrillers, I'd much prefer a quick-paced Connelly or Coben or Patterson over this one.

This book is interesting enough and I wanted to finish it, but, oh good gracious, the wordiness! I skipped so many passages because of the overly loquacious prose. I felt like the book stopped and started far too much. I don't mind when things slow down and the characters take a break -- in fact, I prefer an action-packed book to have character development -- but describing every scene and every movement in excruciating detail is beyond unnecessary.

And what was worse was that most of the "slowed down" scenes didn't feel very "character development-like" to me. I felt a bit like I was still on the outside, looking in with these characters. I didn't feel like I really got to know them as well as I would have liked, and because of that, I didn't care about them as much as I wanted to.

This book could easily have been 300 pages instead of the 500+ that it is, and I would have enjoyed it much more.

I'd give it 3.5 stars, but I'm rounding up because I feel generous. XD

Stephanie | 40 comments Finally, some action. It picks up in Chapter 4. I am very suspicious of her secret organization. I feel like it is a set up. I can't wait to get back to it tonight to find out what happens next.

message 19: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I have just under 100 pages left and I can't wait to be done with it. It just seems to be going on and on. At this point I'm not really even interested in what happens to the characters. I'm just finishing it in case there is some big surprise at the end. The way things are going I might rate it 1 star. It's funny because I loved the Twilight series but I read that almost 10 years ago. I feel like the characters were a lot better in the Twilight series.

I was reading the praise on the back of The Chemist. It seems like they were just making comments in general about her books and writing but not specifically about The Chemist which I found funny. I guess it is all in how you read their comments.

message 20: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I did finish the book the other day. It definitely wasn't my favorite book. I ended up rating it 2 stars. I did love the Twilight series and I even liked The Host but I just didn't click with the characters for this one.

What does everyone else think?

message 21: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy Johnston | 358 comments I picked this one up again yesterday and put it down for the third time. I'm not sure I'm interested enough to finish it. I think I may move on and come back if I have time later or not bother. I hate not finishing books but I've maxed out my library holds and over half of them are ready for me so for now...DNF at 35%.

Honestly, I don't feel connected to any of these characters. I've noticed the comments on wordiness which in some stories often doesn't bother me but in this one, I just got bogged down in all the descriptions of how these characters hiding from the gov't (or whoever they're hiding from) took precautions to the point of I don't care anymore.

message 22: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Haigler | 13 comments I'm halfway through. I honestly really like this book a lot. I'm excited and invested. The only part I haven't enjoyed is Chapter 15. The whole chapter was hot garbage and out of character for Daniel. Chapter 16 was better. I'm ready to get back into the action and have the romance in the background again.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Tina, what happened in the hot garbage chapter? lol My e-loan has already returned so I can't check. XD

message 24: by Tina (last edited May 25, 2018 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Haigler | 13 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Tina, what happened in the hot garbage chapter? lol My e-loan has already returned so I can't check. XD"

It's the chapter where Daniel goes all hot and heavy on Alex. It was so out of character for him to corner her and try to kiss her. I feel like Alex stayed in character but Daniel was all wrong. The kiss should've happened organically instead of being forced like that. And the way it was written made me wanna gag. I'm all for romance but that was just too much 😒

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Ohh yeah. XD I felt like his whole perception of her was a bit...odd. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Haigler | 13 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Ohh yeah. XD I felt like his whole perception of her was a bit...odd. [spoilers removed]"

I can understand his forgiveness of her more so than his lack of PTSD. At the very least he should be more jumpy and nervous around her, not going all creep mode in the kitchen. I'm just glad Chapter 17 got us back to action. I can forgive the blunder that was Chapter 15 if the rest of the book is as good as the beginning. Now I'm worried about all those dogs though 😢

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I know. I think I cared more about the dogs than any of the human characters. XD

message 28: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Haigler | 13 comments I'm gonna be finishing the book today and posting my review. I am on the last few chapters. It's exciting right now!

Stephanie | 40 comments I finished the book. I had a hard time understanding Daniel and Alex. I wanted more action and less drama. I like Einstein and Kevin the best.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Chemist (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephenie Meyer (other topics)