Spaztic Readers discussion

2018 Archives > May 2018: BOTM Comic Explosion - Batman Nightwalker by Marie Lu

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone! Our book of the month for May is Batman Nightwalker by Marie Lu!

Summary:
Before he was Batman, he was Bruce Wayne. A reckless boy willing to break the rules for a girl who may be his worst enemy.

The Nightwalkers are terrorizing Gotham City, and Bruce Wayne is next on their list.

One by one, the city's elites are being executed as their mansions' security systems turn against them, trapping them like prey. Meanwhile, Bruce is turning eighteen and about to inherit his family's fortune, not to mention the keys to Wayne Enterprises and all the tech gadgetry his heart could ever desire. But after a run-in with the police, he's forced to do community service at Arkham Asylum, the infamous prison that holds the city's most brutal criminals.

Madeleine Wallace is a brilliant killer . . . and Bruce's only hope.

In Arkham, Bruce meets Madeleine, a brilliant girl with ties to the Nightwalkers. What is she hiding? And why will she speak only to Bruce? Madeleine is the mystery Bruce must unravel. But is he getting her to divulge her secrets, or is he feeding her the information she needs to bring Gotham City to its knees? Bruce will walk the dark line between trust and betrayal as the Nightwalkers circle closer.

I hope everyone will join us for this month's book of the month! Let us know how you feel about it! Or if you have already read it!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm like almost halfway through this book. I can't really get into the writing style of this book but besides that I'm liking it.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (ReadingRover) | 45 comments Mod
I just picked this up from the library yesterday. I’m excited to start it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the cover of this book honestly!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished this book. I liked it. Sometimes I found it over the top with its antsy but it was good. I felt Bruce was way too moody and broody, which I know he usually is but I felt like this Bruce was even more so. I found this book to be full of cliches and cheesiness and at time it really worked and in others it was over done. I felt like Marie Lu wrote this book not knowing anything about Batman but gave it a good shoot. Though I feel like she lost a major opportunity to do something great. But regardless I still liked this book for what it was.

message 6: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne | 36 comments I thought this was okay. But it may be my mood i am not loving things lately.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (ReadingRover) | 45 comments Mod
I finished this yesterday and I’m on the fence. I enjoyed it for the most part but Bruce was kind of annoying. Granted it was a young Bruce so I guess he was supposed to be more naive & moody, similar to how he is in the show Gotham. Also I felt like parts of the book were really drawn out. Bruce going down to meet with Madeline and then the conversations themselves and all the time he spent thinking of them. It seemed like a lot of unnecessary repetition. He went from smart soon to be Batman to a sappy dumb teenager.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Right? I was thinking that too. That's why I thought maybe it was a little less like an actual Batman story. I didnt like the love story aspect because it was too sappy to be Batman.