Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments May Challenge: 'Family Drama'

I read A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. I had a pretty strong response to this book. I am also posting this in the May Decathalon listing, as the book was shortlisted for the prize in 2015.

Rating: 2 stars

Review:
Uncomfortable, that is how I felt throughout the entire book. Meh characters, not pure evil, not perfect, a few were irritating. I read the book basically to get it over with, and am surprised that the book has been so well received, honored and awarded.

Basically, it is a story of a few generations of a particular family, a regular, boring US family, with unimportant secrets, petty scheming, misplaced jealousy and resentment. The family is full of oblivious characters, and if that is the author's opinion of American families, fine, only I would rather not read about the self-inflated 'problems' of oblivious, advantaged morose sulkers. With a few exceptions, everyone is somehow upset by something that did not quite work out perfectly in their life, and rarely, if ever, recognize their own fortunate and privileged life.

Not for me.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oh what a shame. I really enjoyed this in audio.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Ha ha, I love a well written negative review . . .although oddly now I kinda want to read it to see if I agree. And it totally was not on my radar . . .

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments I didn't love this book, but I enjoyed it. Rated it 3 stars. I find people normally do see faults in others but not their own. That's what I remember the most about the book. Each family member is the hero on their own story.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments I remember wanting to read this book for quite a long time. It literally was number one on my to read list for maybe a year or two. I think it just never got the reviews that got me excited about it. So I put it away from my mind. Interesting that it was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize, but that you two didn’t seem to like it either.

message 6: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments A lot of people did enjoy this book, and the writing was very good. The subject matter and characters were not to my liking.

For some reason, I was reminded a little bit of The Great Gatsby, which is another book that I did not care for that is beloved by many.

message 7: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2298 comments Darn! This is on my list and I just got the audio. I did hear that the audio was good so I hope I won't find it too bad. :-(

message 8: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Barbara wrote: "Darn! This is on my list and I just got the audio. I did hear that the audio was good so I hope I won't find it too bad. :-("

Aw, don't give it up, Barbara, you might find it really enjoyable! After all, enough readers liked it enough for it to be a nominee.

As a librarian, I am constantly reminded that everyone has individual reading preferences, and no one opinion of a book is any more or less valid than another's.

Often I have a lot of favorite books in common with a friend, and then discover that they hate a book that I love, or vice versa.