Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Randi's April 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randi (new)

Randi April started out really strong. Most of the reads were really good and then I got to The German Girl and just stopped. It wasn't that great and neither was Triple, which I picked up right after. It left me in a bit of a reading funk and I really petered out. Hopefully May will be better!

The One
I sped through this book. It was an interesting read, a bit more sci-fi than my normal go-to, however, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommend for anyone who likes a change of pace or scenery. One of my favourites this year.

I Am Not A Serial Killer
I was super into this book up until a certain point. For those of you who have read this book, you will know the point I am talking about. For those of you who haven’t, I won’t ruin it. It is still a good book, just not at all what I was originally expected. Interested to pick up the next book in this series, but there are many I would rather read first.

In a Dark, Dark Wood
I enjoyed this book. It was a tiny bit predictable, but well-written and fast-paced.

All the Beautiful Lies
While I did like this book, it just didn’t live up to the hype I had read about it. Not entirely what I had been expecting. That being said, it was not a bad read.

Ragdoll
I really enjoyed this book. It was dark, it was twisted, it was fast-paced, well-written, and kept me engaged all the way through. Can’t wait to pick up Hangman!

Origin
very typical Dan Brown book. I have enjoyed all his books so far, but the Robert Langdon series is getting a little bit too predictable – meet a beautiful woman, solve puzzles to save the world. However, I do enjoy his books; they are always just a little bit creepy to think that what Brown writes about could very well happen in the world.

The Roanoke Girls
wasn’t sure what to think of this book when I put it on my TBR list. Sounded interesting, but for some reason, I thought it might be a flop. I COULDN’T PUT IT DOWN. I finished it in a day and it was SO GOOD. Fans of FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC will enjoy this one. I highly recommend it. One of my favourites this month.

The German Girl
This one doesn't really count - I had to put this one down maybe 75 pages in. it was too slow for me. I will try to pick it up again some other time.

Triple
normally, I love Ken Follett, but this one just didn’t do it for me. Wasn’t as exciting as some of his others that I’ve read. Didn't finish it.

Eeny Meeny
This one is really good. Didn't quite finish it in April (should finish it today), but I am counting it anyways. I enjoyed the concept.. one lives and one dies. we'll see what the ending holds!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1654 comments Nice month Randi! I'm getting really good at giving up on books I just can't get into.

message 3: by Randi (new)

Randi Susie wrote: "Nice month Randi! I'm getting really good at giving up on books I just can't get into."

Thanks! I get most of my reads from the library. So if I don't like the book, I have no need to finish it since it didn't cost me anything! No sense forcing yourself to read something that doesn't hold your attention!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments The Roanoke Girls looks interesting! Loved Flowers in the Attic back in the day.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15062 comments Randi: nice list, even with the sluggish close. Insightful comments on Dan Brown's books, and several look intriguing. Here's to May!

Randi wrote: "April started out really strong. Most of the reads were really good and then I got to....."

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments nice list- i loved The German Girl- maybe try it again some time.

message 7: by Randi (new)

Randi Melodie wrote: "The Roanoke Girls looks interesting! Loved Flowers in the Attic back in the day."

It is pretty similar to Flowers in the Attic, but of course, with its own twists and turns. Not as... twisted? as Flowers, but VERY good nonetheless!