Books2Movies Club discussion

Going Postal
This topic is about Going Postal
Monthly Reads > Going Postal - book and TV

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zeljka (ztook) | 2990 comments Mod
I've been nagging you for years to try to read this book. I know for certain it won't be everyone's cup of tea just like Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide wasn't, and some won't like the fact it is actually a 33rd novel in the Discworld series of books. I am guilty for the first faux pas - I adore British sense of humour, but if you like it too, this might be worth your time. For the second one, it is not really necessary to read Discworld books in a proper order, as they are all mostly standalone novels just like this one is. Rumour says that this one is also one of the best in the series, having been nominated both for Nebula and Locus award. It was even a Hugo nominee, but Pratchett himself withdrew the novel from the competition.
Going Postal (2010) was a Sky One Production, a third in the series, following Hogfather and Colour of Magic (they all can be seen and read for themselves). The ratings were great and the cast superb - Richard Coyle, David Suchet, Charles Dance and Claire Foy to name some - so expect a tremendous fun with the show too.

Started reading it a few days ago. I've already read half and love it!

message 3: by Zeljka (last edited Feb 22, 2020 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am currently halfway through Good Omens and remembered this book, how I immensely enjoyed it. I remembered also how at the time I really needed Going Postal. It suited me perfectly. I laughed a lot, and cared deeply for all those weird characters. Each was unique, incomprehensible, and important. Hopefully I'll return to Discworld soon!

TV show on the other hand was enjoyable yet missing something. I guess, same with the Hitchhiker's Guide, humor from the book was difficult to translate to the screen. I liked the show nevertheless. Coyle was very charming, Dance an absolute match for Vetinori, postmen utterly weird just like in the book. Golems weren't so impressive though. I am not sure what I actually expected. They looked exactly how they were described. The Discworld setting in the show didn't appear as weird as in the book, yet again, I have no clue what I expected, probably the producers didn't know either :)