Berkeley College Online Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Break the Ice - Introduce yourself! (OLD)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Jul 28, 2014 08:31AM) (new)

Nicole (moment2shine) If you are new to the club, take this moment to introduce yourself and say hello!

- Campus
- Major
- Grad year (Class of...)
- Last great book you read
- Anything else you'd like to share!

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (moment2shine) I'm Nicole!
Director of Student Development, Online
The Fault in our Stars (still crying)
I'm so excited!

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wu (katherinewu) | 26 comments I'm Katherine! I'm a personal counselor at the Online Campus. The last books I read were this morning: The Adventures of Bumblebee Boy and Trucks. Haha!

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt (mlabrake) | 95 comments Mod
I'm Matt!

Library Director for Online Degree Programs

Just finishing up the 5th book in the Game of Thrones series and can't put it down. Hoping George RR Martin stays alive long enough to finish the last 2 books!

message 5: by Sharla (new)

Sharla | 3 comments I'm Sharla!
Went to the Midtown Campus
Criminal Justice Class of 2014
I just finish reading Teardrop.
Now I'm reading the 5 People you meet in Heaven.

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wu (katherinewu) | 26 comments Hi Sharla! Thanks for sharing!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 5 comments Hi everyone! I'm Nancy. I originally graduated back in 1986. I attended the Ridgewood campus, which relocated to Waldwick, then finished up in Garrett Mountain. Now, almost 30 years later, I'm back and enjoying the Online "Campus". I'm not sure when I'll be done pursuing my Bachelors, but I suspect some time in 2015. The last great book I read was John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany". Currently, I'm reading "Atlas Shrugged." I hear "Unbroken: WWI..." is really good so at some point I might switch over to that! Anybody read that yet?

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 4 comments Hi I'm Bonnie, Director of the Woodbridge Campus Library here at Berkeley College. I love listening to books while commuting. Right now I am "reading" "Unbroken.." I am also in a local book club with my non-work friends. We just read Me Before You! (now a hot bestseller)

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (loreleislegacy09) Hi everyone! I'm Karen. I'm just starting out at Berkeley in the Health Service Administration, Medical Billing & Coding program. I guess that puts me in the class of 2016. I'm an on-line student. The last book I read was A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'm not reading anything currently, but my Kindle is charged up and ready to go.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (moment2shine) Welcome everyone!!!

message 11: by Jean (new)

Jean Daros | 2 comments Hi Everyone!
Jean Daros, Information Systems, Woodland Park
If I Stay and Fault in our stars
Just borrowed Where she went
Excited to be part of this group :)

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (loreleislegacy09) Just started "If I Stay", I always like reading a book before I see the movie!

message 13: by Jean (new)

Jean Daros | 2 comments Karen wrote: "Just started "If I Stay", I always like reading a book before I see the movie!"

Me too!

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (moment2shine) I liked "If I stay" also! Excited for the movie!

message 15: by Andrea G (new)

Andrea G (glintofbliss) | 1 comments Hi I am Andrea!
Loan Processor working out of Woodland Park Campus
"The Spark" was the last book I read.
Will start reading "If I Stay" since all the reviews are great plus I want to see the movie too.
Happy to be part of this group I can't wait!

message 16: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Mohedano | 1 comments Hello my name is Beverly. I attend the New York campus. My major is business management administration. This is my last semester! The last two books I read were "Mirror Image" by Ice T and "Hold me in contempt" by Wendy Williams. They were both really good. I'm currently reading "Under the Doom" part one. I've been watching the t.v. series and I wanted to read the book. There so different.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (loreleislegacy09) Hi Beverly! Congrats on this being your last semester. I'm basically just finishing up my first. Can't wait to be where you are :)

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (moment2shine) Thanks for joining!!!

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5 comments Hi everyone, my name is Bill. I'm the Library Director at the Berkeley NYC Midtown campus. I've been reading a lot recently, ever since I starting tapping into the resources (and ebooks!) of the NYPL collection. The last book I enjoyed reading recently was "The Night Circus", and right now I'm reading "Robopocalypse." I tend to enjoy reading books that my friends have read and recommended so that we have things to talk about -- so I'm looking forward to being part of this book club!

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (moment2shine) Welcome Bill!

message 21: by Hugo (new)

Hugo Walter | 1 comments Hi Everyone, My name is Hugo Walter. I am a Professor of English and Humanities for Berkeley College Online. One book which I am currently rereading is Jane Austen's great novel "Pride and Prejudice." I am glad to see that the book club is being revived.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (moment2shine) Welcome professor!!!

message 23: by Matt (new)

I encourage our new members to introduce themselves in this thread!!!

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 5 comments Hi Everyone,

I'm Jess, an international business major graduating this term. Last great book I read was "Hard Choices" and now I am finishing up "Freakonomics." I am excited to get a chance to participate in the bookclub before I graduate.

message 25: by Matt (new)

Hi Jess. Welcome and thanks for joining! Just an FYI that the club is open to Berkeley Alumni also!

message 26: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Although I am not a new member, I want to introduce myself again. I work in Enrollment Services at the Woodland Park location.

I just finished reading Seth Godin's latest: What to Do When It's Your Turn (and it's always your turn). Very inspiring and motivating. The book itself reads more like a magazine than a hardcover which also makes it unique.

message 27: by Matt (new)

Thanks for sharing Joyce! Glad you will be participating again!!

message 28: by Rose (new)

Rose | 3 comments Hi! I'm Rose.

Director of the Online Academic Support Center.

I'm currently reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I'm looking forward to this quarter's book club discussion of Nesting Dolls!

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim Royal | 1 comments Hi! Im Kim

Im an FWS Office Assistant Financial Aid Dept. at Woodland Park Campus and Online Student

I just got my copy of Nesting Dolls tonight and I cant wait to be discussion the book with everyone....Im current reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky....

message 30: by Matt (new)

Welcome Rose and Kim. Thanks for sharing!

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 3 comments I'm Sharon Goldstein, COO Online Campus! I love to read and am excited to be in an online book club! I also belong to an onsite book club and can't get enough reading!!!

I finished the book Nesting Dolls and enjoyed it immensely!

message 32: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra | 5 comments Hello!
My name is Alessandra Lippolis.I am majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management at the NYC campus and I expect to graduate in 2017. I am currently reading "If on a winter's night a traveler" by Italo Calvino, "Here is New York" by E.B. White and of course "Nesting Dolls", which I am literally crazy about! I am very excited to be part of this club and I am looking forward to participate to future discussions and enjoy this amazing learning experience!

message 33: by Matt (new)

Thanks for sharing Sharon and Alessandra. Looking forward to our upcoming discussions!

message 34: by Karla (new)

Karla Naranjo Martrus (the1theonlyk) | 1 comments Hello I'm Karla! I'm from the Woodland Park campus, year 2017, studying Criminal Justice. Last great book I read was Angels & Demons, and now I'm reading Hamlet. I hope to make some great friends here!

message 35: by Matt (new)

Hey Karla! I love Dan Brown and Angels & Demons is one of his best. Glad to have you on board!

message 36: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 3 comments Hi I'm Kaitlyn!
I'm from the Woodland Park Campus.
My Major is Fashion Merchandising and Management.
I'm part of the class of 2017.
The last book I read was Mockingjay from the Hunger Games Series.
I'm hoping to find some great book suggestions to find something new and interesting to read!

message 37: by Matt (new)

Great to have you Kaitlyn, thanks for sharing! I loved the Hunger Games Series. Did you see the new Mockingjay movie also? This is one of the rare cases where I think the movies have done the books justice. Do you agree?

message 38: by Matt (new)

Oh, and class of 2017 is representing! I hope you all take this opportunity to connect with some of your fellow students!!

message 39: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 3 comments I've seen the first two movies, however I have not yet seen the first of the mockingjay movies. I also agree that the movies have done the books justice from the most part. However I was very upset that the meaning of thmockingjay pin of which was so important throughout the books was to the modt part removed in the first movie.

message 40: by Rose (new)

Rose | 3 comments Alessandra, it's nice to see that someone else reads Italo Calvino. I enjoyed his novel, Invisible Cities.

message 41: by Salena (new)

Salena | 3 comments Hi there! I'm Salena. I'm an English faculty member and I teach at the Woodland Park and Dover campuses. I am so honored to have had Berkeley's book club choose my debut novel, and I am looking forward to the discussion boards next week and especially the February 3rd Q and A!

message 42: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra | 5 comments Thank you, Rose! He has been my favorite childhood author, but I do have to say that "If on a winter's night a traveler..." is not what I expected. I will though look into "Invisible Cities".

message 43: by Sfc (new)

Sfc Taylor Gang | 2 comments HI! im justin im a student at berkeley college and i enjoy reading books from time to time

message 44: by Cari (new)

Cari Medina | 8 comments Hello!
My Name is Cari. I'm back in college to finish up and receive my bachelors. This is my 1st semester at Berkeley College and my first time participating in the online discussion. I just read "The Nesting Dolls" by Salena Fehnel. I must say this book had me captivated. I had the book play in my mind like a movie.

message 45: by Patty (new)

Patty Torres | 4 comments Hi Everyone, I'm Patty my major is Business Management with a concentration on HR management
I attend Woodland Park, Dover and online classes
Class of 2016
I just finished reading the Nesting Dolls and looking forward to participating in the discussion.
Favorite book- Hunger Games trilogy

message 46: by Matt (new)

Welcome Justin, Cari, and Patty. Great to have you all participating!

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments Hi

I'm Jessica from the Woodbridge campus I just joined, my major is health services management. I'm a junior and my very first book that I just read is Nesting Dolls

message 48: by Eric (new)

Eric Rios | 3 comments Woodland Park
Business Admin.
I just Read Nesting Doll
First book club I have joined.

message 49: by Christa (last edited Apr 07, 2015 10:26AM) (new)

Christa Carbone | 1 comments Hi, I'm Christa. I am a non-matric online "campus" student. I just need a few classes in order to start my Masters in Accountancy. I have my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration already and graduated in 2014. The last book I read was Match Me If You Can, which my coworker brought in for me to read. I'm very excited about this club because I'm such a bookworm and am always looking for new books to read, since I tend to read them quite quickly.

message 50: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Martinez (jondmartinez) | 2 comments Hi, everyone!

My name is Jonathan and I am a senior at Berkeley. I can't wait to finish next quarter in September. I'm super excited. I am also very excited to be part of this club. This is my first time partaking in a Book Club and cannot wait to begin discussing the book for the quarter. I hope to learn from all of you!

Happy reading,
Jonathan

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.