The Walt Longmire Book Series & TV Show Group discussion

The Basics > Hi There, Please Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
Hi My Name is Brenda and I am the co-moderator for this group. I got involved with this book series after the started advertising the LONGMIRE series on A&E. The show looked so good and I just wanted to know more about Walt Longmire.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 14 comments My name is Kim, I got involved with the books after watching the first season of the show. I hadn't read a novel in many many years (really bad) but I plowed through these in a few months. I'm OK with a tv Walt and a book Walt.

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy Walker | 13 comments I'm Joy and, like Brenda, I got involved with the book series after watching the first couple of episodes of the tv show. I absolutely love Craig Johnson's writing style and appreciate the fact that he does hit on the darker, more realistic side of Walt and company. At the same time I find myself laughing until tears flow at some of the things that Vic & Lucian can get into.

message 4: by Tammy, Moderator (new)

Tammy Hanson (sdflash32) | 23 comments Mod
Hello everyone My name is Tammy, but a lot of my friends call me Flash! I am addicted to anything Longmire and read all the books available at the time the second season started, and I went back and caught the first season! I consumed the books in about a week and have loved watching the show ever since! I spent 7 years as a criminal Records records clerk and Dispatcher in Law enforcement in to small towns where I live and My brother has been in law enforcement for almost 30 years so I am very addicted to reading anything with a crime, murder, or suspense theme! I also love Romance, Western Romance, Military romance! Pretty much anything with hot,sexy men! lol! I am the owner of this page so if you want to be a Moderator or help out with the page please let me or Brenda know! Miss Pam has Privileges and can also help out with things that might arise!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (mtnred) | 47 comments Hi gang! I'm Susan and I started reading the Longmire series after the first few episodes of Season One. Now, I own and have read all the novels, plus The Spirit of Steamboat. I have lived in Wyoming, New Mexico and now Colorado, so all these locales and characters are totally familiar. I also own all the novels on audiobook-George Guidall is awesome. I've always been a "whodunit" fan, starting with Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie when I was little. Huge fan of Tony Hillerman, have read several of Michael McGarrity and a fan of a little known author, Steven F. Havill, who rights a sheriff series in fictional Posadas County New Mexico. I finished Spiderwoman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman not too long ago. I don't have the time for reading like I used to but I make time for Longmire, book and tv. I have lived in Wyoming, New Mexico and now Colorado, so all these locales and characters are totally familiar.

message 6: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Prigmore (anthrochick1931) Hello, I am Maranda. I haven't read any the books. I stumbled onto the show. I am a native Georgian & Floridian. I love any type of crime shows. I am pretty laid back & easy going. I work a ton for authors. I am married to the love of my life. We have 3 fur babies; pepper, megatron, & dom kitty. Anything else u wanna know ask :D

message 7: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Marie said:
Hi! I've been reading the Longmire books since Craig first published and my library gets each one as soon as it comes out. The audios are fantastic, so I switched to them 5 years ago. George G. who reads is a terrific performer and has both voices of Walt and Henry perfect. I'm glad to have found this site and look forward to all the different threads

message 8: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome to all who have joined our group. We are very happy to have you on board. Please free to add your comments to any of the topics. Your comments and discussions are always welcomed!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) Hello, I'm Jen and love to learn about new genres. Looking forward to learning more about Longmire books. :) Thanks for the invite, Brenda, you're awesome!

message 10: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome Jen!! Thank you for joining us and your welcome about the invite. Jen is the moderator and mastermind behind the Retro Chapter Chicks which features historical fiction. And she is a great friend. I'm happy to have her aboard!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) Awww, thanks Brenda for the endorsement, I'm happy to be aboard :)

message 12: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

You are most welcomed

message 13: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 7 comments Hi everyone. I am Laura. Thank you, Brenda, for the invite! Your group looks great! I can't wait to get to know everyone!

message 14: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome Laura!!! It is wonderful that you have decided join us. Laura is the moderator of her own group(Short & Sweet Treats) who I'm a member of and she is also my friend. We look forward to some good interaction on here. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for joining!

message 15: by Cynde (new)

Cynde Janis | 17 comments Hello! My name is Cynde. I admit that I am one of those people that stated "you mean there are books" after starting to watch this show.... Sorry Craig :-) But luckily I now know that there are books and have read them all - some more than once.
I began watching the show at the start of the second season and have never stopped.
I have owned, ridden, and shown horses (Quarter Horses & Appaloosas) for most of my life although I am currently without one after the death of my mare last October. I also own a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
I am an accountant for a hospital in the metro Detroit area.

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 7 comments Brenda wrote: "Welcome Laura!!! It is wonderful that you have decided join us. Laura is the moderator of her own group(Short & Sweet Treats) who I'm a member of and she is also my friend. We look forward to some ..."

Thank you, Brenda! The group looks great. I think you are doing a fantastic job. Thank you for having me!

message 17: by George (new)

George | 17 comments Hi, I'm George. I had read the books before the series started, and have kept up with the ones published since. I love all the characters, and the humor (in the books especially) is great. I have been watching the TV series since it began, and think the casting is perfect. I was glad to find this site.

message 18: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Nice to have you with us George. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

message 19: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

LaLaLa Laura wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Welcome Laura!!! It is wonderful that you have decided join us. Laura is the moderator of her own group(Short & Sweet Treats) who I'm a member of and she is also my friend. We look f..."

It is my pleasure.

message 20: by Cross (new)

Cross | 12 comments Hi! My name is Lykinda and I am another one guilty of finding the show first and then wondering what it was based on. I read a wide range of genres and really like online discussion groups or "book clubs" because they introduce me to new perspectives of the books I am reading or to entirely new authors. I have read some amazing and obscure books because of groups like this. I was raised in a rural setting much like what is seen in these books and the New Mexico area that the show is filmed in was in my back door. My family now vacation in the area yearly. Being raised in a rural farming/ranching area makes the characters make sense to me because they are very much like the people of note when I was growing up.

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments i am Danielle. in my early 60s, an avid reader, literally 1000s of books in my lifetime. i have re read these books three times each..they are so WELL written. i love good wordsmiths though that might not be proper english. i am From Philly which is why i like Vic so much. for what it is worth, my husband was older than i, and we lasted 40yrs so the age difference between walt and vic for me is a non starter...i love westerns and horses. liked robert taylor before the series started, excellent choice for the series. i am a writer and an artist. you could say books are my drug of choice.

message 22: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome George, Cross and Danielle! It is a pleasure to have you with us!!!! I know that a few of you have been here awhile but feel free to join in on the discussions.

message 23: by Susan (last edited Aug 08, 2014 12:53PM) (new)

Susan Stalnaker | 15 comments Hi I'm Susan. I was reading Longmire books when I stumbled on the Tv show right before S1 began. Love both the books and the show. I have the dvds so I can rewatch. I love to read (mostly mysteries and history). I was an operating room manager 30 years in a small rural hospital. Im in my early 70s and now I'm a semi retired OR nurse. More time for family and reading. So happy to have found this site!

message 24: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome Susan! I'm glad you found us also. Like you I am a retired and disabled nurse. I wish I could still work but... Anyways we are glad to have you here.

message 25: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Warner | 3 comments Hello, My name is Nancy and I live in SW Missouri. I have been watching the Longmire TV Series from the beginning and that is a first for me. I usually miss the first year of a good series and have to go back to find the first year in re-runs. I have watched and re-watched the episodes of Longmire (having the DVD's) and my son DVR'd this short 10 episode season. I like to catch the little things that are said and done that help me to try and solve the mystery. I have fought reading the books because: 1) I don't want to spoil the ending for myself and 2) I don't know if they are being filmed in the order the books were written. At any rate, my husband and I will take our vacation around Longmire Days next year and that will be a first because it is usually around horse or dog show Nationals. I hope this group has some good general information and feed on the series.

message 26: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome Nancy! We are happy to have you with us! The show Longmire is loosely based on the characters in the book plus a few others. The stories are different than the books although on occasion they seem similar. Feel free to join in and make your and your husband's ideas, comments & questions known. We will do our best to help you out. We will be reading the first book (The Cold Dish)starting yesterday August 15th. There are discussion questions develop by Craig that we will use as a jumping off place. Anything else I have not covered just ask one of us will answer.

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane Hi, I'm Diane. I've read all but "Spirit of Steamboat" and have seen all three seasons. I'm lucky enough to live in Billings, MT, often mentioned in the books. Also lucky enough to be able to see and listen to Craig Johnson when he stops in our local B&N, as he did last weekend. My favorite book is "Hell is Empty"...I think it is much more than just a mystery novel. I'm looking forward to the short story collection that is coming out in October. These books are so rich in characters and setting.

message 28: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

It is good to have you aboard, Welcome! feel free to participate with any ongoing conversations. We are friends here and do not judge. Relax and enjoy!

message 29: by Gean (new)

Gean Gentry | 3 comments Hey, I'm Gean, a happily retired bureaucrat and a longtime mystery reader. I saw the first season of Longmire and found out that there were books! Until then, Tony Hillerman and J. A. Jance were my favorite western mystery writers, but I love all of the Longmire books. I had the pleasure of attending one of Craig Johnson's book signings and he is a wonderfully entertaining speaker. I had to get used to the characters in the TV series not being exactly like the characters in the books, so much so that I have saved the newest book to read now that the TV show has ended, but I like them both. Hope that there is a 4th season. Thanks for letting me put my two cents into the discussions.

message 30: by Carol (last edited Aug 16, 2014 07:32PM) (new)

Carol (crestad) | 1 comments Hi
My Name is Carol
. And I stsarted reading the books because I love the show so much.

message 31: by Janet (new)

Janet Washer | 23 comments I feel like this is a 12 step program. Hi, my name is Janet. I have lived in Colorado since 1979. Found the show just pre-second season advertised before movie in theater. Have now watched and own first two seasons Blue-Ray, DVD and on tablet, and have 3rd season on DVR. Between second and third season, read most of the books. Am currently re-reading Dark Horse, which I love because of 'Undercover' aspects and visiting his family's old homestead. Love Craig Johnson's humor - sometimes dark, insight to his characters, and love of Wyoming and the west.

message 32: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome to our three most recent members, Gean, Carol, & Janet. We are happy to have you all aboard. Feel free to jump in and add things to any topics you want. We are a friendly group and very easy to get along with. Let's all have fun and enjoy!

message 33: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Lipe | 2 comments Hi, my name is Sandi and I live in Oklahoma. I discovered Longmire when buying books for my Mom, who could no longer get out to go to the library. I noticed the book cover mentioned a TV show so when she liked the book, I decided to look up the series on Netflix. I was hooked after the first episode. I'm a longtime mystery reader and I'm currently reading the 3rd book in the series. I love the fact that the characters aren't just one dimensional in the books and the tv series. Hopefully, A&E renews the series soon!

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) Hi, I'm Cheryl. I've been watching Longmire since it started and just discovered this group. I've been thinking I want to read the books in order and was poking around to figure that out. I'm a Nebraska gal and love westerns.

message 35: by Ron (last edited Sep 01, 2014 10:44PM) (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 19 comments Cheryl wrote: "Hi, I'm Cheryl. I've been watching Longmire since it started and just discovered this group. I've been thinking I want to read the books in order and was poking around to figure that out. I'm a Nebraska gal and love westerns."

The order for the Longmire books by Craig Johnson is: Click here for Longmire Order

And, welcome to Goodreads. My wife and I are Iowa people now living in Oregon since 1971. But, both of us were born and raised in Iowa. She has a long time girl friend who lives in Nebraska. Omaha, to be exact.

message 36: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome Cheryl it is good to have you on board. I hope we can help you with questions or problems. Feel free to join in on any discussions and add your opinions.

message 37: by Sophie (last edited Sep 18, 2014 02:42PM) (new)

Sophie Hi, My name is Sophie and I'm french.
I discovered the books written by Craig Johnson less than a month ago when I picked at the local library the first book Cold dish.
And since I've read it, I'm an addict of Sherif Longmire and Henry Standing Bear.
I've heard that a serie has been made while reading a review on Goodreads. I like it a lot even if it's quite different from the books and I've almost finished the second season.
At the moment, I've read cold dish and Kindness Goes Unpunished.
As I understand that reading them in order is the best way to appreciate the books, I'm now reading the 2nd book death without a company and I have already order the 4th.
I'm looking forward talking about the books and the series on this group.

message 38: by Marie (new)

Marie | 22 comments Mod
Hi Sophie, welcome to the Longmire Book club. As you probably know, we have formed the Longmire Posse, thanks to Pam, and have put a lot of time supporting the cast and crew while they look for a new Network to pick up Longmire. You can Google the Longmire Posse and join us there as well.
A&E has cancelled the shows after 3 fantastic years, rating number 2 for the network, because they feel the viewing audience is too old to matter as far as purchasing power. We are telling them different. Feel free to ask any questions and join the Posse! Once the show has a new ranch, we will be busy spreading the work and meeting at the Red Pony and Continual Soiree after the first round-up. Please come join us and bring your friends.

message 39: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome Sophie and Thank you Marie for keeping things up to date. Yes we will be back to normal as soon as our show gets a new ranch!

message 40: by KarenK2 (last edited Sep 11, 2015 09:04PM) (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) Jen turned me on to this group. I found the tv show during mid 2nd season. Then found the show on netflix and was so sad the show was cancelled after season 3. Then absolutely elated when season 4 was picked up by netflix... doing the happy dance!!

I haven't read any of Craig Johnson books ... yet. Most certainly on my agenda. I got my love of westerns from my dad, his favorites were Louis L'Amour

Looking forward to discussing with all of you!

message 41: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome Karen!

message 42: by Nicole Nikki (new)

Nicole Nikki | 1 comments Hello, my husband and I watch Longmire on Netflix! We love the show so much. I haven't read the books yet, but looking forward too soon.

message 43: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) The books are a must read!!

message 44: by George (new)

George | 17 comments I agree. If you love the series, you will adore the books.

message 45: by Ron (last edited Mar 21, 2016 05:11PM) (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 19 comments Karen wrote: "Jen turned me on to this group. I found the tv show during mid 2nd season. Then found the show on netflix and was so sad the show was cancelled after season 3. Then absolutely elated when season 4 ..."

L'Amour is a favorite of mine, too. Many people I know who also love books, don't know anything about him except that "he's that western writer, isn't he?" But, to me, he's a very good writer. I often tell them about a passage in one of his books in which a rider is riding across a mountain meadow. From L'Amour's account of that ride, one feels like you are in that meadow with that rider! You can smell those flowers. You can feel the breeze blowing the grasses. His writing is that good! Most people just look at me, like, Yeah, right. But, I can't make them read his work and if they don't, it's their loss, not mine.

Really loved the Sackett series. Wonderful tales of the early days of the American saga. L'Amour always said that he wasn't a writer so much as a story teller. To me, he's pretty good at both!

message 46: by Parker (new)

Parker | 2 comments I'm Parker (female despite the name). Husband and I stumbled onto the TV series at the start of the second season. I found out that it was based on books, so checked them out and devoured all that were published up to that point. Have read each one as it's come into one of our local libraries.

We're both huge fans of historical fiction, and I, particularly, love mysteries. We both like westerns.

Love the TV show and wrote A & E a very nasty letter when it was canceled...we now own all but the second series on DVD.

message 47: by Linda (new)

Linda Pyles (buckskin) | 1 comments Hi my name is Linda and I love the Longmire books and series on TV. I think my favorite is the Spirit of Steamboat. I really like the characters and their adventures. Horses, Westerns mixed with mystery and murder can be an exciting combination.

message 48: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel | 1 comments Hi, my name is Gabe and I started by watching the tv show and then fell in love with the books. I've read and watched all and plan to start at the beginning again soon. I've been to Longmire Days once in 2018 and would love to return again. Thrilled to have found this group!

message 49: by Parker (new)

Parker | 2 comments Gabriel wrote: "Hi, my name is Gabe and I started by watching the tv show and then fell in love with the books. I've read and watched all and plan to start at the beginning again soon. I've been to Longmire Days o..."

Welcome!

The Walt Longmire Book Series & TV Show Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Louis L'Amour (other topics)
Craig Johnson (other topics)