Play Book Tag discussion

What She Left Behind
This topic is about What She Left Behind
May 2018: Family Drama > What She left behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman -3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknblues (last edited May 02, 2018 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Booknblues | 6893 comments What first pulled me into What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman was the fact that it is set in my old stomping grounds in upstate NY, along Seneca Lake. It moves back and forth with perspectives and eras. Izzy Stone, a foster child who begins her senior year during the 1990's with a new family is struggling to fit in and carries with her the baggage of a mother who shot and killed her father.

18 year old, Clara Cartwright falls in love with Bruno Moretti in 1929. Her father disapproves and has her committed to a mental institution. She ultimately becomes a resident of Willard Mental Institution.

This novel maintained a tension with both Izzy and Clara's story. I wanted to know what happened to each of them. There were elements to each that I didn't find totally believable and thus a somewhat lower rating.

The book was inspired by The Willard traveling suitcase exhibit; http://www.suitcaseexhibit.org/index....

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Thanks for the link to the exhibit. Interesting, and so sad.

Booknblues | 6893 comments Jgrace wrote: "Thanks for the link to the exhibit. Interesting, and so sad."

Very sad.

Nicole | 430 comments I read this one a couple year ago and, while I found the story itself interesting, I thought the quality of the writing was rather poor.

3 Star Story
2 Star Writing.

Booknblues | 6893 comments Nicole wrote: "I read this one a couple year ago and, while I found the story itself interesting, I thought the quality of the writing was rather poor.

3 Star Story
2 Star Writing."

The possibilities for an excellent book was there, but it just didn't quite happen.