The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads 2018 > Nominations for July 2018

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1093 comments We are looking for nominations for any sci-fi novel or collection of short stories written in the New Wave between 1960 and 1979 that has not previously been read by the group. Please check the bookshelf here before nominating.

As previously mentioned to increase the variety of authors read per period we will exclude authors where we have already read two or more books in the period. Therefore for the New Wave nominations, this time we will not accept any nominations for books by Ursula Le Guin, Philip K Dick, Roger Zelazny or Larry Niven

Only one nomination per person please.

message 2: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 968 comments The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley, published in 1977. I haven't read him so I am not sure he qualifies as New Wave but I read positive reviews and plan to read him

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary | 2 comments Dangerous Visions -- there are enough great and controversial stories there for several months worth of potential discussion.

message 4: by Patrick (last edited May 02, 2018 10:00AM) (new)

Patrick Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein? 1961

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Engine Summer by John Crowley, 1979. I happen to own the mm pb. It looks somewhat weird, and challenging... which means, imo, good fodder for group discussion.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4280 comments Mod
I'll nominate Dorsai! (aka "the Genetic General") by Gordon R. Dickson. It's the first of his Childe cycle & stands alone well. This & Tactics of Mistake are my 2 favorites. I don't think we've read anything by Dickson before.

message 7: by Rafael (last edited May 02, 2018 11:56AM) (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 146 comments Kindred fits the criteria for sci-fi?

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 19 comments I Sing the Body Electric! & Other Stories by Ray Bradbury book:I Sing the Body Electric! & Other Stories|74586] by Ray Bradbury published in 1969

I suppose, Gary, that you mean the book by Harlan Ellison.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Criscuolo | 5 comments Stranger in a Strange Land is a great choice. I’ll second it

message 10: by Jim (new)

Rafael wrote: "Kindred fits the criteria for sci-fi?"

Yes, barely IMO, but that's OK. If you look at the book & all the genres it is filed under, the SF ones show respectably. The publisher also calls it SF, so I'd say it is OK for a nomination.

message 11: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 146 comments Great.

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1093 comments Rafael, we have already read Kindred recently, so we can't accept it as a nomination this time round.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Whoops! Didn't even think to check for that. Sigh. Thanks, Jo.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary | 2 comments Edited by Ellison, including stories by many and varied authors.

message 15: by Danielle (last edited May 03, 2018 12:14PM) (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 19 comments Gary wrote: "Edited by Ellison, including stories by many and varied authors."

O.K. Thank you. It was just to make sure because there were other SF books with the same title.

message 16: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 146 comments Jo wrote: "Rafael, we have already read Kindred recently, so we can't accept it as a nomination this time round."

Oh! I forget to check it too. Sorry.

message 17: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 2096 comments Mod
I'm tempted to nominate Trouble on Triton: An Ambiguous Heterotopia, but there are enough nominations, so I will skip it.

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 2096 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "I am not sure he qualifies as New Wave ..."

i think Jim and Jo are just using the publishing dates as qualifying criteria. It doesn't necessarily have to have a New Wave style.

I've read and enjoyed several John Varley books. Can't remember exactly which ones, though.

message 19: by Susan (last edited May 03, 2018 03:52PM) (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 130 comments High-Rise by J.G. Ballard
High Rise by J.G. Ballard

message 20: by Tony (new)

Tony (gribshnobler) | 8 comments Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner

Stand on Zanzibar

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 19 comments Susan wrote: "High-Rise by J.G. Ballard
High Rise by J.G. Ballard"

Oh, great choice!

message 22: by Patrick (new)

Patrick The whole Dune series would be fun. Maybe a small group could read those if they're interested. I know I would! lol

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 717 comments So many good nominations! I've got Stranger in a Strange Land, Dorsai!, High-Rise, Stand on Zanzibar and Dune all on my bookshelf waiting to be read so I'd be down with any of those.

message 24: by Leo (new)

Leo | 640 comments Dune we read here in 2016. Wouldn't mind to read the following part though.

message 25: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Honestly, any classic sci-fi would be great.

I just bought Stand on Zanzibar, 2010 Odyssey Two, Hyperion & Fall of Hyperion, Rendezvous with Rama, and the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

message 26: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 19 comments Patrick wrote: "Honestly, any classic sci-fi would be great.

I just bought Stand on Zanzibar, 2010 Odyssey Two, Hyperion & Fall of Hyperion, Rendezvous with Rama, and the Moon is a Harsh Mistress."

Brunner, Simmons, Clarke and Heinlein? All of them are five-star authors. :)

message 27: by Patrick (last edited May 27, 2018 11:07PM) (new)

Patrick I can't wait to read them! I just read Stranger in a Strange Land and didn't like it like I thought I would. I hope his Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers are better.

I've heard great things about Hyperion series and Clarke's Odyssey series. I'm looking forward to them!

message 28: by John (last edited May 28, 2018 01:52PM) (new)

John | 77 comments I nominate Gateway by Frederick Pohl written in 1977. It won a Hugo Award, a Locus Award, and a Nebula Award—all for the Best Novel nod. In Gateway, humans try to understand the technology of the Heechee aliens that have perished long ago. A space station is located inside an asteroid, and the most powerful governments on Earth hope to learn the controls and capabilities of this massive structure. After many fatal attempts, humans finally uncovered the power of Heechee technology. Soon, they discover habitable planets aside from Earth. As their own planet is under extreme stress due to overpopulation and poverty, are people willing to try their luck and use the Gateway space station?

message 29: by Jim (new)

John wrote: "I nominate Gateway by Frederick Pohl written in 1977. It won a Hugo Award, a Locus Award, and a Nebula Award—all for the Best Novel nod. In Gateway, humans try to understand the technology of the H..."

Please include the book link, John. You find it by clicking the 'add book/author' link above the comment box. In the book search box, put in 'gateway, pohl' & click search. Find the correct one & click add. It's the top on in this case. Gateway

If you don't use the book link, there's too much chance of confusion with some books & authors. Also, Jo has to read through this whole thread to create the poll & is more likely to miss it.

message 30: by John (new)

John | 77 comments Jim wrote: "Please include the book link, John..."
Thanks for the heads up, the link has been added.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 717 comments John wrote: "I nominate Gateway by Frederick Pohl written in 1977. It won a Hugo Award, a Locus Award, and a Nebula Award—all for the Best Novel nod. In Gateway, humans try to understand the techn..."

One of my all-time favorites. I'd be up for a re-read.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.