UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Group Challenges > Jud's Free Book Clear Out Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jud (last edited Jul 10, 2020 03:14PM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments All my unread and unattempted books from 2011. I am determined to get through a load of these this year. Boy I was 1-click happy back when I first got my Kindle.

TO READ
4. The Swiss Family Robinson; or Adventures in a Desert Island
5. The Iliad
6. The Half-Brothers
7. Kidnapped (Dover Children's Evergreen Classics)
8. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
9. The Man Who Would Be King
10. The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights
11. Doctor Marigold
12. Wreck of the Golden Mary
13. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
14. Allan Quatermain
15. Lair of the White Worm
16. Martin Chuzzlewit: The Life and Adventures of
17. Heroes, or Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
18. No Thoroughfare
19. South Sea Tales
21. The Uncommercial Traveller
22. Adam Bede
23. Daniel Deronda
24. The Return of the Native
25. Barchester Towers
26. The Warden
27. The Oregon Trail: sketches of prairie and Rocky-Mountain life: Sketches of Prairie and Rocky Mountain Life
29. A Journal of the Plague Year, written by a citizen who continued all the while in London
30. You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!
31. Our Mutual Friend
32. Out of Time: A Time Travel Mystery
33. Veiled Freedom
35. A Book of Remarkable Criminals
36. The One-Eyed Guru
37. Dust
38. Running Dark: A Novel
39. The Evil Genius
41. On Dark Shores: The Lady
42. The World As I See It
44. When Love Comes
45. The Preacher's Bride
46. Sunrise in a Garden of Love & Evil
47. The Cruelest Cut
48. The Phoenix Conspiracy
49. Mary Queen of Scots Makers of History
50. The Girl Born of Smoke
51. Throwaway
52. King Henry VIII
53. Queen Elizabeth Makers of History
54. The Love Letters of Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn With Notes
56. England under the Tudors
58. You Can't Do EVERYthing ... So Do SOMEthing: Small Ways to Change the World
60. And On The Eighth Day
61. French Quarter
62. Sarah's Diary
63. Everybody's Business Is Nobody's Business
64. Redcoat
65. The Gentle Grafter
66. The Travels of Sir John Mandeville (Penguin Classics)
69. Night Birds' Reign: Book One in the Dreamer's Cycle Series
70. Even More Classic Sherlock Holmes Mysteries by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Vook Classics
71. Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne: Vook Classics
72. A Bride for Tom
73. Power for Life: Keys to a life marked by the presence of God
74. Any Red-Blooded Girl (The Flora Fontain Files)
75. Dead Reckoning
77. Highland Blessings
78. Wild Child
79. The Time Machine by H.G.Wells: Vook Classics
81. Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads)
82. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe: Vook Classics
83. Re:union
84. The Secret Sharer
85. Milking the Rhino: Dangerously Funny Lists
87. My Lunatic Life
88. The End of the World
89. Code Blue
90. Hot Ticket (Middle Grade Mystery)
91. The Dead Saint (Bishop Lynn Peterson)
92. Sweet Ophelia (A Hollywood Story)
96. The Penal Colony
97. I Dream of Genies
98. Songbird Under a German Moon
99. Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington (Love Finds YouTM)
100. The Spook's Stories: Grimalkin's Tale
101. What A Demon Wants
104. Compromised
106. A Taste Sweet and Salty
107. I'll Be There
108. Thanatos Rising (The Memoirs of Harry Chesterton)
109. Commune Of Women
110. The Meandering Mayhem of Thogron Throatbiter (a short story)
111. Kappa Hunter
112. Stone Flower Garden
113. The Quest for Nobility (A Fantasy Adventure) (The Rule of Otharia series)
114. The Marlowe Conspiracy: A Novel
115. Conan: Queen of the Black Coast: Queen of the Black Coast
116. The Journey Home
117. Jigsaw
118. On Sparrow Hill
119. Tribes
120. Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are
121. It's Alright: The Rape Of Iuevnis Galvin
122. Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles)
123. Flash Gold (a steampunk novella set in the Yukon) (The Flash Gold Chronicles)
124. I'm George, mwm, 52
125. A FAERIE FATED FOREVER
126. Enemies and Playmates
127. Unicorn Bait
129. Sole Sacrifice (a novella)
130. A Fair to Remember (Welcome To Redemption)
131. A Husband for Margaret
132. Return to Pearl Island, Bonus Chapters
133. Demon Lord
134. Armageddon
135. A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
136. Lissie
137. Give Me - A Tale of Wyrd and Fae
138. The God's Wife
139. The Holiness of God
140. Over Fields of Fire: Flying the Sturmovik in Action on the Eastern Front 1942-45 (Soviet Memories of War)
141. The Flinch
142. The Girl Who Couldn't Say No: Memoir of a teenage mom
143. Disciplined Life, The
144. Poison In The Blood: The Memoirs of Lucrezia Borgia
145. The Certain Guilt of an Innocent Man
146. When I Said I Do
147. Luke Banderloft and the McFarven Pirates (Luke Banderloft Series)
149. Raising Abel
150. World War II London Blitz Diary, Volume 2, 1941 (A Woman's Revelations Enduring War and Marriage)
152. Brutus; First King of England, Prince of Troy (The Welsh Chronicles)
155. Ladykiller
156. Taking Flight
157. The Pocket Linguist: A Practical and Highly Effective Guide to Learning any Language
160. Tales of the Sword: Short stories of a fantastic nature
161. His Last Duchess (Break Bites)
162. Is it a Ghost Story You Want? (Dark Corners)
164. Tyburn (The Highwaymen)
165. Hide and go Shriek
167. Noose
168. Titan's Tears
170. Asylum (The Birch Harbor Series)
171. Rena's Promise: Two Sisters in Auschwitz
172. the BREED: Day One
173. How Did the Butterfly Get Caught in the Spider's Web
175. Lunch With Miss Hepburn: The Last Interview
178. Stalked
179. Life, Love, and Texting (a teen romantic comedy)
180. ORBS: A Haunting at the Claxton Mansion
181. SLOANE HALL

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11620 comments Wow! Good luck

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1749 comments Good luck with this almost impossible task. Happy reading.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4337 comments Do you actually want to read all of these? Or just delete them from the TBR pile? Some titles look familiar so I may have downloaded them myself way back when I got my first kindle. I would go through the list and look at all the books that are number 1 of a series and then look for the rest of that series and decide if I want to buy the next 20 books or delete book one from the list.

Best of luck in reducing that list 😀

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments No I want to delete them so I'll give some a go and if I don't like it I'll strike it off the list.

I can't bring myself to just get rid of them without a little look. I should maybe go through amazon and see if the blurb still interests me. There are a few books on there that I would like to read someday so I may not give them a go yet but I do want to read them at some point before I die. Hopefully, I have a good while left to do that!

message 6: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I'm taking your advice Janet, book series are out. Even if there are only 2 or 3 in the series I'm unlikely to buy them so why bother reading the first one. If they are good enough to buy I'll hear of them through a recommendation!

message 7: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments I've cleared out from 2011 to 2014.
I keep adding about a dozen or so and I keep looking at the ones left in that collection and then go to another, so they will be binned.

message 8: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments You have a lot of classics / old books on your list.

Of the ones on your list, I'd recommend
You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir! 4*
The Penal Colony 4*

The following are my ratings.
Six Seconds (MIRA) 4*
The Hunchback Assignments 4*
Code Blue 3*
The Penal Colony 4*
Dead Saint - binned
What A Demon Wants 3*
Breadwinners - binned
Tinseltown (Victoria Fox?) 4*

message 9: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Yeah, because the classics were free I downloaded pretty much all of them. I've actually read the majority so I'll need to look at the others and consider if I really want to read them or if they are there because I thought it would look and sound good if I could tell people I had read it!

message 10: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finally read books from the list!

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3112 comments Well done Jud! I don't dare list what's on my Kindle ... got enough problems with the paperbacks I'm still trying to read and pass on to the charity shop.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11620 comments Yay! I dread to think how many on my kindle, did count the paperbacks recently, think its around 50

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I've cleared a whole lot out just from the titles and looking at the blurbs for some others. Realistically, I could probably just throw them all out but I don't want to do that and miss a wee gem. Hopefully I'll get the list way down by the end of the year.

message 14: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finished one! Goodness but this is slow work. I think I'll spend the rest of my life trying to clear out this list.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11620 comments I feel like that sometimes. Unfortunately it hasn't stopped me clicking on freebies!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments After reading your thread title, I thought I'd find a mound of prunes and a big bowl of bran in here.

message 18: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I'm waiting until the week before my holidays to do that, Patti.

message 19: by Jud (last edited Jun 26, 2018 03:46AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I gave up on Get Some and The Branding and I'm giving She Walks in Beauty a go. It's okay so far, good enough to continue with.

READ
The Mill on the Floss
Paris: A Brief History
Rome: A Brief History
London: A Brief History
New York: A Brief History
Riven
101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History
Pilgrim's Progress
Lady Audley's Secret
Six Seconds (MIRA)
A Book of Nonsense
No Name : Complete and Uncensored

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4612 comments Glad you are willing to give up on some. Life is too short.

message 21: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Oh yes, I have no intention of reading all of these. I want to have thrown more away than I read but I keep picking ones I think I'll like so I end up reading them. I will have to try and pick ones that I think will be rubbish.

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finished number 20. She Walks in Beauty, it was a bit terrible but it was also very good. I couldn't stop reading it.

message 23: by Jud (last edited Jul 23, 2018 02:14AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Two more down!

166. The Day The Sub Came I didn't realise it was a kids book and it was about a substitute teacher. It was not worth reading.

154. The Adventures of the Frog Prince, obviously a kids book and quite enjoyable.

I still haven't finished Breadwinners, I don't know if I will, I'm struggling to connect with any of the characters.

message 24: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finished 174. The Infection, a rather morbid short story.

Officially shelved 176. The Breadwinners, I want to like it but I'm just not getting on with it.

message 25: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finished 151. Rattling Bones, some of these stories are really grim. Gareth was disgusted by one of them! I enjoy a bit of the macabre though.

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Started and discarded 177. Precious Bones, thought it would be my kind of story but it isn't.

message 27: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finished 159. The 19 Dragons. I quite enjoyed this one, it was short and snappy and each chapter was about a different character (there was 1 chapter per dragon) but some characters appeared in several chapters. It was kind of like interconnecting (super) short stories.

message 28: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3112 comments Jud wrote: "Finished 159. The 19 Dragons. I quite enjoyed this one, it was short and snappy and each chapter was about a different character (there was 1 chapter per dragon) but some characters..."

Sounds interesting Jud - have added it to my TBR which is too long already!

message 29: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments i read precious bones and l have deleted Life, Love and Texting and Ladykiller

message 30: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Oh look at that. it would appear that I forgot that I had deleted precious bones, oh well.

message 31: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finished 28. The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders. It was quite astounding what that one woman went through in her life. Each chapter was like an episode of Eastenders. Took me a while to get through it since I read 3 other books whilst in the middle of this one, probably would have managed it quicker if it had been slightly less reflective. There was a lot of waffle padding it out but I still enjoyed it.

message 32: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3112 comments I only saw the TV version of that years ago - very raunchy as I recall!

message 33: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Pam wrote: "I only saw the TV version of that years ago - very raunchy as I recall!"

I can imagine, it was all only suggested at in the book though, as is right and proper ;o)

message 34: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3112 comments Oh that's interesting. Thinking if it was 18th century it might have been more saucy!

message 35: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finally, another update!

2. Vanity Fair done and dusted

I know it's 2019 now but I'm going to keep this challenge going :o)

Unless Patti says no.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11620 comments Just take the year off the title ;)

message 37: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Good thinking Desley!

message 38: by Jud (last edited Feb 15, 2019 01:58AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments One more down 1. Nicholas Nickleby

message 39: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Read 95. Spalding's Scary Shorts (A collection of humorous horror tales). A bit disappointed with it, mostly because it only contains 1 story and it finished at 70 odd %

message 40: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Finished 40. The Two Destinies and 163. Gwynne, Fair & Shining (Preschool edition)

I LOVED the first one. Wilkie Collins is one of my favourite authors, His writing is surprisingly modern, it's nothing like Dickens but it is so well written. I recommend it.

I didn't realise I had Gwynne, a preschool book, on my kindle. I must have bought it with the baby in mind (that baby now being Kathleen), I'll have to read it to her and see what she thinks.

message 41: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments My kindle books that I've bought in recent years are starting to pile up, I may have to leave the olders ones for a while to work through some of the newer ones. For the meantime I've created a new Excel list with all my unread books and I'm using random.org to generate a random number which is then the book I read. It just so happens that all the books so far have been 2011 ones.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11620 comments That sounds a good idea Jud, might try that

message 43: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I struggle to pick because I have so many and I tend to pick from one genre when I like many genres so random.org makes it a bit more varied for me :o) although I don't always like it when it picks a doorstop of a book, Martin Chuzzlewit is up next!

message 44: by Jud (last edited Feb 28, 2019 03:03AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Having nothing to do at work is doing wonders for my TBR list

Finished 34. Please Stop Laughing at Me... One Woman's Inspirational Story by Jodee Blanco . It was very moving and made me VERY grateful that I did not go to an American school (assuming they are still like that but hopefully not!)

message 45: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments And another, 57. When All Hail Breaks Loose Weathering the Storms of Life by Pat Day

I started Martin Chuzzlewit but couldn't face it so soon after Nicholas Nickleby so I re-did my random numbers.

message 46: by Jud (last edited Mar 01, 2019 03:35AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Didn't finish this one Blister (Soft Target #5) by Conrad Jones , I gave up around 20%, I think I gave it a fair go but I just couldn't get on with it. All the characters were annoying, the whole thing was annoying. Good concept for a story though shame there wasn't more depth to the writing and the characters.

I think it is the 5th in a series though so maybe that is the problem. However, I don't think I'll bother starting at the first book.

message 47: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments another one done and dusted

3. William Walker's First Year of Marriage: A Horror Story

message 48: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3112 comments well done Jud

message 49: by Jud (last edited May 28, 2019 03:22AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments When the Devil Whistles
67. Going Harvey in the Big House
86. Conan: Red Nails
80. The Fairy Godmothers and Other Tales by Mrs. Alfred Gatty: Vook Classics
105. Dark Deeps
128. SERIAL
103. Signs and Wonders (Annie Grace adventures)

That's me partly caught up. Think there are a few more books in that list that I have read but it's home time so I'll have another run through on Monday.

message 50: by Jud (last edited May 28, 2019 03:24AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I haven't finished 169. The Apple and the Thorn (Tales of Avalon). That's the second time I failed to get in to it so it has no more chances
nor 158. Fiji: A Novel, not my cup of tea at all.

« previous 1