The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

More Books?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (last edited May 02, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
In this group we are currently reading two books at any given time:

1. A monthly group read from Rory Gilmore's reading list found on Black White and Read Books blog, and...

2. A quarterly re-read, where we re-read a book that the group has already read for new members, those who didn't get a chance to read it the first time around or a longer book we need more time on.

In addition to these 2 books, I am trying to see if members of our group would be interested in choosing another book each month for "fun"? It could be anything ranging from classics to chick lit and cozy mysteries. We can set a theme each month and then nominate titles in that category and have a vote for the "fun book".

For example: if we nominate Chick Lit as the theme for June 2018, we could all recommend titles that fit this category and then nominations would go to a vote.

One more thought: we could pick a series to read each year and work on it throughout the year depending on how many books are in the series (could end up being a book every month, or a book ever 3 months etc.).
For example: We nominate series and the Shopaholic series wins. There's 8 books so that would be a little less than one book per month.

I'd be open to doing both a series read and fun book as well if everyone is. That means we'd have 4 books going at any given time, but you obviously don't have to participate in all of these!

Or if you're not interested in this and don't think it has a place in this group.. then please let me know that too. Please weigh in below with thoughts!

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 4 comments I love the series idea! One thought... if the series that gets voted is short, maybe do one book a month (depending on the size of the book?), and then possibly do more than one series a year?

message 3: by L (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I love the series idea! One thought... if the series that gets voted is short, maybe do one book a month (depending on the size of the book?), and then possibly do more than one series a year?"

Thanks so much for weighing in! Yes, if it's a short one we can definitely do that. I know there was some talk on another thread in here about the Sue Graffton series, so that might be a good time to do that one too!

message 4: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Adams I am open to either or both ideas. I would be less apt to read a series but I know lots of people enjoy them.

message 5: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe I love all of this and want to incorporate both right away! Another thought, maybe for themed months we could pick a book from the RG list as well as a fun one and compare. The books Rory read helped build who she was, so, if we say chose romance as the theme, it would be cool to compare books that helped shape Rory's concept of love and romance to say more modern works. Plus it would speed up how quickly we finish the list!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Reaume | 1 comments I love both ideas! I think the flavor of the month is great to maybe expand the genres that I read. I also like finishing a series but find that sometimes I am not motivated enough to do so. I’ll be happy with either choice.

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly | 233 comments Mod
I like the idea. Would the series be off The Gilmore List though? Maybe an author study, pick an author from the list, read that book and then other books from that author?

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments LOVE!!!!

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel Harris I wouldn’t mind a series as long as it something that I could find on audiobook. I’m super busy and work a few jobs so I tend to do audio book during travel. Joined because it will give me new ideas to read :-)

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly | 233 comments Mod
Question for the series books.

Would we be reading the WHOLE series in a month or would we just be reading one book from the series that month? Just wrapping my head around the idea.

message 11: by L (new)

Hi Holly- we would divide the series over a one year (or 6 month) span just depending on how many books are in the series.

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly | 233 comments Mod
That makes a ton more sense! thanks!!!

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 324 comments Mod
No, I think we have enough going on. And we need to concentrate on the book of the month and the re-read. I know that you (Laura) do a lot and I appreciate it, but I feel we need another moderator for times when you are too busy to update the books or whatever.

Again, thank you for all you are doing in this group. I really love it!