Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > Katharine's climbing again

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Moving on up from Pike's Peak.

Books I have read so far are

1. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
2. The Devil's Feast by M.J. Carter
3. Enemies at Home by Lindsey Davis
4. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
5. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
6. Holy Terrors by D.M. Greenwood
7. Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms by Gerard Russell
8. The Outcast Dead by Elly Griffiths
9. Catilina's Riddle by Steven Saylor
10. The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor
11. The Ghost Fields by Elly Griffiths
12. Daughters of Britannia by Katie Hickman

and now on Mt. Blanc

13. The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Another delightful fantasy set in the Discworld. A book that left a smile on my face.

message 2: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Climbing slowly.

14. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. A book I wish I'd read 20 years ago rather than now. Not a comfortable read but probably a necessary one.

message 3: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments I've had this one a while.

15. Midnight in Peking by Paul French. An account of a murder in 1930s Peking which paints a fascinating picture of the life lived by foreigners in the city during a time of political turmoil and the threat of Japanese occupation. An interesting read.

message 4: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments I've had this one a long time, so long that I can't even remember buying it. It's one of those books that seems to have materialised on my bookshelves.

16. The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson. An Australian classic from 1910. The story of the misadventures of schoolgirl Laura Rambotham trying to make the best of the unfriendly environment of boarding school in Melbourne.

message 5: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments And another step on the climb.

17. Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure by Artemis Cooper. A biography of a travel writer I love and an excellent portrait of someone who lived life to the full.

message 6: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Halfway up Mt Blanc

18. The Mauritius Command by Patrick O’Brian. Not my favourite in the Jack Aubrey series but still an excellent naval historical novel.

message 7: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments I keep forgetting to update.

19. Wellington: A Journey Round My Family by Jane Wellesley. The author bases a history of her family round the life of its most famous member, the first Duke of Wellington. A really enjoyable read for those interested in family history.

message 8: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments I’ve been tackling some of the large amount of non-fiction on my TBR pile.

20. Bess of Hardwick: First Lady of Chatsworth by Mary S. Lovell.

Interesting biography of a woman whose marriages and business acumen made her the second richest woman in Elizabethan England after Queen Elizabeth herself. Full of fascinating insights into the life of an upper class woman of that time and the amount of autonomy she might have.

21. SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard.

Very readable history of Rome. Made me want to read more on the subject.

message 9: by Katharine (last edited Aug 20, 2018 01:55AM) (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Made it up with a rather mixed bag!

22. A Question of Upbringing by Anthony Powell.

First in The Dance to the Music of Time series, a 12 volume set which I inherited from my dad. I enjoyed the first book about the early years of the narrator and reading it was quite hypnotic so I will probably be continuing with the series.

23. A Very Private Enterprise by Elizabeth Ironside.

A mystery novel set in the British Embassy compound in India. Great sense of place and good portrait of the diplomatic world with a neat twist at the end but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book I read by this author.

24. Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch.

Another very enjoyable read in the Rivers of London series though the action takes place in rural Herefordshire and involves a child abduction with magical overtones. I really like this series and it was good to see this "world" expand more.

And that's it for Mt. Blanc so I will probably move on to Mount Vancouver. This is such a useful exercise to reduce my TBR pile but unfortunately I can't resist adding to it again.

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Yay, congrats!

message 11: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Jessika wrote: "Yay, congrats!"

Thanks. This is as far as I got last year but I'm going to carry on climbing this year. If I could just stop getting new books I might actually make a dent in the TBR pile.