Pulp Fiction discussion

Books and Series > Radical Noir: Activist Crime Novels

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom | 34 comments Interesting sub-genre list here I discovered on Crime Reads (via Lit Hub). A few familiar titles, but most are new to me, especially the international titles. Many look intriguing. Anyone recommend any of these? Thanks.

http://crimereads.com/activist-noir-2...

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay Gertzman | 272 comments Lots of good ones in the list. I would include Doctorow's The Book of Daniel, which is a startling reflection on the Julius and Ethel Rosenberg execution from the point of view of the grown son of the (fictional) couple. His mother's last words of defiance, "Let our deaths be [Daniel's] bar mitzvah." Her words are directed at her Rabbi, the FBI, the Communist cell, and her country.
Huellebecq's novels on the end of humanity, and the commodification of the 60's revolt that made it possible, should be on any list, from The Elementary Particles forward.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 34 comments Jay wrote: "Lots of good ones in the list. I would include Doctorow's The Book of Daniel, which is a startling reflection on the Julius and Ethel Rosenberg execution from the point of view of the grown son of ..."

Agreed, Jay, Doctorow's BoD would be good fit. I've read it multiple times, taught it twice (students were perplexed by shifting narration but otherwise intrigued with the history, of which, sadly, they knew little or nothing), and it never loses its power. Huellebecq is on to-read list somewhere ... Thanks for comments.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (saraelizabeth11) | 49 comments Thanks for the list! I've ordered several from my library already. :)

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 34 comments Sara wrote: "Thanks for the list! I've ordered several from my library already. :)"

Bravo, Sara. We'll expect trenchant reviews forthwith.

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay Gertzman | 272 comments Tom wrote: "Jay wrote: "Lots of good ones in the list. I would include Doctorow's The Book of Daniel, which is a startling reflection on the Julius and Ethel Rosenberg execution from the point of view of the g..."

I'm so glad you taught The Book of Daniel, Tom. I never did, but wanted to. Amazing the heights that some great writers can attain EARLY in their careers.