Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books & Editions > My book (s) being attributed to author of same name

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fozabog (new)

Fozabog The Elder (rachalmers) | 5 comments I am the author of this book "The Dragons of Sara Sara - Awakening" and this Hardcover version on Lulu 9780244331931 is my work.
Can I differentiate my books here on Goodreads by changing to "Robert A. Chalmers" if that too is not already taken? Or at least modify this book, 9780244331931 to the current "Robert^^Chalmers"

Thanks if anyone can tell me how to modify these problems. Indeed, I have other books that need attention, I need to add new versions, to replace covers and names. "Robert ^^Chalmers" with "Robert A. Chalmers" ... Unless as I say, Robert A. Chalmers is also taken. If so, I'll have to leave it as "Robert ^^ Chalmers" where the ^^ symbolizes two spaces.
Thanks

message 2: by Hugo (new)

Hugo (hugo_nebula) | 732 comments Hi, Robert.

Goodreads policy is to list the author's name as it appears on the cover of the book. As the Author, you can yourself edit your name to the Two^^Space name which will move all books to your Profile.

I have moved 9780244331931 to your Profile and Combined it with the previous editions of this title - https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

Any new editions will need to be added as Alternate Cover Editions, following Goodreads policy - https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/8... - and remembering the two spaces in your name.

message 3: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45527 comments Mod
Hugo wrote: "Goodreads policy is to list the author's name as it appears on the cover of the book. As the Author, you can yourself edit your name to the Two^^Space name which will move all books to your Profile."

This is incorrect/incomplete. An author editing their name will not move any missing books to their profile. The books need to be edited by librarians to match the existing profile, spaces and all.

And using a middle initial to disambiguate authors with common names is explicitly mentioned in the Manual as an acceptable alternative to multiple spaces.

message 4: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

As it happens, at least one of the author's books is actually published under Robert A. Chalmers.

All fixed.

message 5: by Fozabog (new)

Fozabog The Elder (rachalmers) | 5 comments Thanks for the edit. After much angst some time back, I decided to add my middle name initial (Anthony - A.) to my author name for the books. I keep bumping into the "other" author who has always used just Robert Chalmers. No relation I don't think.
So, it seems that now at least my Author name on Goodreads is becoming consistent at Robert A. Chalmers. I guess getting rid of old covers is more a cosmetic thing anyway because the only books now for sale all have the up to date modern covers.
I think I've managed to make quite a mess of the whole thing over the last year or so, as well as today, even to the point of adding myself as a new user I think, as I tried to add a Hardcover version. I'm sure it will all sort out in the end.
So whoever was finally responsible for editing my name and books and juggling the books under it. thank you.

message 6: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

As the author, you have the ability to change which edition of the book is the default, which will come up in searches by title and show on your author profile. Here's how: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Robert wrote: "Thanks for the edit. After much angst some time back, I decided to add my middle name initial (Anthony - A.) to my author name for the books. I keep bumping into the "other" author who has always u..."

BTW, for editions with multiple covers you can set which edition you want to show up on your Author Profile, and when people search for the book.

Here is how to set your Default Edition:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

message 8: by Fozabog (new)

Fozabog The Elder (rachalmers) | 5 comments Thanks, that's good to know.