What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Novel - A novel of a woman finding her POW father who turned out to be a snake farmer... Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Burnham | 1 comments My dear 92 year old Nan is trying to find a book that she thinks she read some time ago, possibly 30 or more years, but she can't be sure of the time-frame. All of the following details are probably pretty vague and maybe some wires are crossed but this is the best I've got to go on.

She thinks it was a hardcover book, most likely borrowed from the library of a large Australian north-coast country town. She had it in her head the title was "A time between" or something like this, however the books I could find with that title weren't really a good fit (with the slim exception of the Maria Duenes novel/Netflix series that seems a bit too recent and missing a few details, though I can't be entirely sure). I'm not sure if the title may contain some of the key words "time" or "between" but that's a start.

Anyway, my nan recalls some key events from the plot-line, this is what I've put together so far from her memory:

- A girl, maybe in her 20's or something, unmarried, that possibly started the novel in England and moved to America, trying to track down her father who she had never known.

- She found him in America, breeding rattle-snakes (?) as a profession.

- She had been told that he was a prisoner of war, possibly in Russia (though she jokingly added that it might have been Mexico or even Alaska :P )

- She ended up at his farm/ranch and she met him but "something went wrong" and she found out that he had indeed not been an allied POW but was a spy for Germany, that he was actually an imposter and not her father after all, and had been involved in some shady thing through the war (btw this suggests this book was set after a war, probably WW2)

- When she found out, he also learned his identity was revealed, so he had her bitten by one of the snakes that he farmed

- After this, her boyfriend arrived and saved her

It would make my Nan's day if we could find this for her, any leads or clarifying questions much appreciated!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Hi, I've no idea what the book is but - have you tried searching in the National Library of Australia catalogue? https://trove.nla.gov.au/book

In the Advanced search you can put in keywords, words from the title, limit by publication dates, etc. Might be worth a browse.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Removed "and also an imposter" from the topic header, and added a spoiler alert.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Matt, is your Nan still looking for this or was it found?