Audiobooks discussion

Audiobooks in the News > Audiobooks Have A Positive Effect On Mental Health

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments Not necessarily scientific, but something we all know.

https://goodereader.com/blog/audioboo...

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1642 comments grumpus - here's a study that supports the article :)

The Impact of Audio Book on the Elderly Mental Health

Introduction:
The growing elderly population calls mental health professionals to take measures concerning the treatment of the elderly mental disorders. Today in developed countries, bibliotherapy is used for the treatment of the most prevalent psychiatric disorders. Therefore, this study aimed to investigate the effects of audio book on the elderly mental health of Retirement Center of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences.

Methods:
This experimental study was conducted on 60 elderly people participated in 8 audio book presentation sessions, and their mental health aspects were evaluated through mental health questionnaire (SCL-90-R). Data were analyzed using SPSS 24.

Results:
Data analysis revealed that the mean difference of pretest and posttest of control group is less than 5.0, so no significant difference was observed in their mental health, but this difference was significant in the experimental group (more than 5.0). Therefore, a significant improvement in mental health and its dimensions have observed in elderly people participated in audio book sessions. This therapeutic intervention was effective on mental health dimensions of paranoid ideation, psychosis, phobia, aggression, depression, interpersonal sensitivity, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive and somatic complaints.

Conclusion:
Considering the fact that our population is moving toward aging, the obtained results could be useful for policy makers and health and social planners to improve the health status of the elderly.

message 3: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments Dee wrote: "grumpus - here's a study that supports the article :)

The Impact of Audio Book on the Elderly Mental Health

Introduction:
The growing elderly population calls mental health professionals to take ..."

Thanks for sharing this. The conclusion states it could useful to improve the health status of the elderly. I say if it helps with all those other conditions listed, then consideration should be given to expand it beyond the elderly.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1642 comments oh totally - I could dig more into the literature - this is just one of the first ones that showed up

message 5: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 77 comments I definitely use audio books for more than reading. I specifically look for boring books to put me to sleep, and some narrators have a relaxing effect on me too. My life is so much better because of audio books. Plus, some of my "boring" books turn out to be not so boring so that's a bonus. I wonder how long it will be before someone starts making intentionally boring recordings, lol.

message 6: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3792 comments Dee, thanks for that study. Do you know if it said which books were used and whether they were chosen for their therapeutic content or sheer entertainment?

message 7: by Dee (last edited May 02, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1642 comments here you go Jeanie - the study was conducted in Israel -

The most important books were in the followings categories: Poetry and literature: Shahnameh, Masnavi Manavi, Divan-e-Hafez and Divan-e-Sa'di; Psychology: Conquer the summit of success without limbs by Nick Vujicic, The power of expression (Talk to win) by Brian Tracy; Religion: The Holy Quran; Fiction: Iran’s constitutional history.

According to Figure 1, of 103 favorites registered, 30.1% of the participants were interested in novels, 24.2 % in history books, 15.5% in religious books, 23.3% in psychology books, and 6.9% in poetry books.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1642 comments the full study is available to read:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...

message 9: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 49 comments It helps my mental health😎. My friend 6 yr old son was dignoised with brain cancer the tumor was removed but he needs alot of therapy. Drs recommended audiobooks for him. It helps keep him updated with all school friends but he is getting the vocabulary words too.

message 10: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3792 comments Dee wrote: "here you go Jeanie - the study was conducted in Israel -

The most important books were in the followings categories: Poetry and literature: Shahnameh, Masnavi Manavi, Divan-e-Hafez and Divan-e-Sa..."

Thank you for that, Dee.

message 11: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments So good to know that my love for AUDIOBOOKS is good for my Mental Health.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail | 10 comments Penelope wrote: "I definitely use audio books for more than reading. I specifically look for boring books to put me to sleep, and some narrators have a relaxing effect on me too. My life is so much better because o..."

There is a podcast that I listen to called Sleep With Me...boring stories..quiet voice. Works for me!

message 13: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 77 comments Gail wrote: "Penelope wrote: "I definitely use audio books for more than reading. I specifically look for boring books to put me to sleep, and some narrators have a relaxing effect on me too. My life is so much..."
Thanks, I will look for it!

message 14: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1227 comments It sure helps my mood! I can never sleep on trains, airplanes, car trips, etc. but I also can't read because I'm either too tired or get carsick. But audiobooks are great for that time. I pick something lightweight or a relisten.

I definitely get more housework done and more walking for exercise because I can listen to my books then, and that is all good for my health.