EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS > 1Q84 - pre-read

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 1371 comments Mod
Hello all - starting up discussions for the MAY 2018 BOTMs. For this month's theme of Japanese Literature, this discussion is for the group's poll selection for the MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS category: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

This discussion will be SPOILER-FREE. If you have already finished the book and want to discuss, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!
Kasey

message 2: by Sj (new)

Sj | 46 comments just ordered this at the library this afternoon, so hope to have it by mid-to-late next week

I've been contemplating reading this since it came out, but always baulked at it .... will be interesting to see if the baulk reflex was justified or not :)

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Rashid | 11 comments I am looking forward to reading this book and joining the discussion. This really is a book I hadn't even heard about. Excited!

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 109 comments I think this was the only one of all the Japanese literature nominations that my library owns. However, I'm going to pass on this one. It's just too long for me right now. I do look forward to reading what people have to say about it, though.

message 5: by Ulla (new)

Ulla Gomez | 32 comments Wow! This book should count as two for my yearly reading challenge, it´s like a brick!

message 6: by SimitudeSims (new)

SimitudeSims | 238 comments I’ve finished it. I had a lot of books I have to read this month and I have company over for two weeks. You are right, the hard back edition could brain you. The pages are so soft and the cover is made of rice paper. I also love how the page numbers are upside down on one side. I’m really glad I bought it.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I am going to be late on starting. My library is changing comp. So the holds are backed up.. I have read it before. It starts slow and builds.

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I really hope to get in on this group read, but I'm currently elbow deep in The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Dune, and Brideshead Revisited. I love Murakami, but this is one I've put off because of the length. Michelle, how did you like it? Was it a fast or slow read?

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) Anyone else was realllly surprised when they picked it up from the library and realized it is 900+ pages?! Whew.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) I read this last year and really liked it. It didn't really seem like it was that huge a book, but i did read it on my Kindle so I wasn't carrying around a huge volume to remind me how long it was.

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 336 comments 48 hours long...

I'm excited, but also really nervous after seeing how huge it was in the bookstore. But I always prefer larger books in audio format.

I'm currently in the middle of an audiobook from my library, so I'll have to finish that before I start.

message 12: by Anne-Kathrin (new)

Anne-Kathrin | 54 comments Same here. Stupid question though: The German edition (which I am going to read) comes in two physical books and also two separate ebooks - one containing book 1 and 2, one containing book 3. "The book" is all two/three of them, right?

message 13: by Kerri (last edited May 02, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

Kerri | 702 comments Anne-Kathrin wrote: "Same here. Stupid question though: The German edition (which I am going to read) comes in two physical books and also two separate ebooks - one containing book 1 and 2, one containing book 3. "The ..."

My copy is broken into three "books": Book One is April-June, Book 2 is July to September, and Book 3 is October to December.

Edit: When going to the 1Q84 Goodreads page - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... - it says (#1-3) by the title, and then has entries for each book. So I would say Yes, there are 3 books, and they are combined into one large volume, or able to be read in 3 separate parts.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments I just picked up the audio version at my library and was shocked to see that it was 19 CDs. Then, I got a bigger shock when I read the fine print and found out that the case only held Part 1. The back cover informed me that altogether, the story is 38 CDs and will take almost 47 hours to listen to. Not sure I can devote that much time to this. Maybe when I am retired!

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Rashid | 11 comments Emily wrote: "Anyone else was realllly surprised when they picked it up from the library and realized it is 900+ pages?! Whew."

I was very surprised and a bit concerned but the story pulled me in really quickly. One thing that has struck me so far is that the surprising/supernatural/intriguing sections are balanced by an equal number of sections that could be described as boring/mundane/excessively descriptive. And yet I have not actually found any of these sections boring or mundane. There is almost a feeling that everything is interesting and important in some way.

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I could never do a 48 hour audio. I can't handle much over ten hours.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I didn't realise this book was over 900 pages long. I'm still wrapping up Little Fires Everywhere from last month and then have a read for another book club I need to get through, so I'm not sure I'll get round to this one in time

message 18: by Anne-Kathrin (new)

Anne-Kathrin | 54 comments thanks Kerri! well, I guess it's good to be prepared then. I didn't realize it was such a huuuuge book.
anyway- Today and on Monday, I'll spend 12 hours (respectively) on the train. maybe that gives me a good start...

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I am going to be joining in real late. My library is switching to a new comp system It is not going smooth at all

Yesterday i checked my record. It says i have 273 books overdue. It has billed me for all of them. The fine listed is 5603 dollars. I check out a lot of audio books.

The thing is I only have 6 books out. The think that the system somehow lost all the books i checked in. The person i spoke to thinks they need to manually check the shelves. I am waiting for a call back from the library director. I was there 2 days ago. I think they would have noticed if i had that many over dues when they cheked my 6 books out.

This whole thing is insane. I do remember some of the book but with the length I will be behind

message 20: by John (new)

John | 549 comments Karen wrote: "I just picked up the audio version at my library and was shocked to see that it was 19 CDs. Then, I got a bigger shock when I read the fine print and found out that the case only held Part 1. The b..."

Brilliant! I was so bummed because I looked at like 5 digital libraries and it isn't available. Then I looked for the CDs and they had one! Thank you.

47 hours is long, but I just finished Sanderson's, Oathbringer and it was like 57 hours. But I can speed up the digital versions so this will take awhile...

message 21: by Sj (new)

Sj | 46 comments Renee wrote: "I am going to be joining in real late. My library is switching to a new comp system It is not going smooth at all

Yesterday i checked my record. It says i have 273 books overdue. It has billed me ..."

ah! ... that does sound a bit messy and like you will have to wait for a while for it to sort out

my local library went through a system change last year and there were a fe odd errors to contend with, but nothing like you're describing - $5603 is quite a debt O_O .... I'm just happy for you that they know it's not legit

message 22: by Sj (new)

Sj | 46 comments Anne-Kathrin wrote: "Same here. Stupid question though: The German edition (which I am going to read) comes in two physical books and also two separate ebooks - one containing book 1 and 2, one containing book 3. "The ..."

yes ... when I ordered it they asked if I wanted the first book or the trilogy, and I was taken by surprised as I hadn't realised it was in 3 parts

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue I'll be joining a little late, but definitely planning to read this one.

Thanks for the heads up about the number of pages. I mostly use my reader these days, and I've been surprised by some book lengths recently - both very long and strangely short.

message 24: by Heljä (new)

Heljä I had 1Q84 sitting in my bookshelf for a couple of years, and in March this year I finally read it! I love Murakami's books, and this is one of the best. Took a while to complete though, as it is a thick book..!

Saar The Book owl | 391 comments It's a hard choice to make. I really love Japanese literature and I'm already reading 'I am cat'. I'm hesitating to do this one too, but I'm reading 5 or 6 books at this moment.

message 26: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) I've read this one before, but I adored it and have always meant to read it again, so I'm in here. Helpful that I kept my copy b/c I adored it sooo much, so it's right here on my shelf -- and I'll reach for it as soon as I finish last month's books...

One thing I'll say - it's a thick book, but it's also a really good book, so I read it much faster than some thinner books I liked less. Of course, that's all a matter of taste.

I am currently reading Murakami's interviews with Seiji Ozawa "Absolutely on Music: Conversations with Seiji Ozawa" and LOVING it, as I usually do with pretty much anything he writes. I was a teenager at Tanglewood many years ago with Ozawa, and I find myself smiling and imagining the conversations with ease.

message 27: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1766 comments I'd like to read this one, but I knew from the beginning it wouldn't be possible. I can't read very long books in a short time.

But I always do a thorough research in the nomination period, including the leght of the book. So, no surprise for me. I suggest you do the same, it is quite useful.

message 28: by Batool (new)

Batool | 1 comments I think we should all agree that the bulky book is actually 3 books in one. I suggest that we focus on finishing part one this month. I think this would be easier for all the members concerned about the length of the book, especially me.

message 29: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Renee wrote: "I am going to be joining in real late. My library is switching to a new comp system It is not going smooth at all

Yesterday i checked my record. It says i have 273 books overdue. It has billed me ..."

Wow that is crazy! I can't imagine you're the only one affected by this glitch, and there is no way they would have let you keep taking books out if it. They'll figure it our eventually, but what a pain! When I see a book wasn't discharged from my record, I sometimes do my own shelf-check to save time. But 273 books? no.

message 30: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) People did talk about the length of this book during the nomination stage (and I was warned about the creepy sex scenes), so I decided to opt out long before the vote. I'm interested in reading the reviews though, because I do want to read this author some day - most likely Kafka. on the Shore.

Saar The Book owl | 391 comments Ella wrote: "I've read this one before, but I adored it and have always meant to read it again, so I'm in here. Helpful that I kept my copy b/c I adored it sooo much, so it's right here on my shelf -- and I'll ..."

I'm glad you're enjoying his newest book. Have you read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running and The Strange Library?

At the end of this month I'm going to a meeting with the Dutch translator of Murakami's books. I can't wait! I'm a huge Murakami fan!

message 32: by Camie (new)

Camie I'm new to this club, but glad this is June's book. It's probably the only way I would get it read. The size is so intimidating. I have enjoyed some of the authors other books and I own this one so hurray! I'll look forward to the discussion.

message 33: by Tammy (new)

Tammy NancyJ wrote: "People did talk about the length of this book during the nomination stage (and I was warned about the creepy sex scenes), so I decided to opt out long before the vote. I'm interested in reading the..."

Kafka is a great place to start. Wonderful book and not too long. I just joined this group and I probably would have tried to steer folks to try Kafka or Wind-Up Bird Chronicles as they are good but not nearly so long. I hate the idea of people not trying Murakami simply because the book is too long. His writing is a treat. I can't wait to read this. I just picked up my copy at the library yesterday!

message 34: by Anne-Kathrin (new)

Anne-Kathrin | 54 comments Thetbrslayer wrote: "I think we should all agree that the bulky book is actually 3 books in one. I suggest that we focus on finishing part one this month. I think this would be easier for all the members concerned abou..."

I definitely like the idea. Or maybe we could split up the Spoiler thread in 3 for different reading paces? (I am neither sure if anyone else things this is a good idea nor if it is possible... what do you think, folks?)

Saar The Book owl | 391 comments Camie wrote: "I'm new to this club, but glad this is June's book. It's probably the only way I would get it read. The size is so intimidating. I have enjoyed some of the authors other books and I own this one so..."

It's a May - book ;)

message 36: by Ulla (new)

Ulla Gomez | 32 comments Man is this book long... It feels like I have been reading it forever! And there is so little happening, too.

message 37: by Anne-Kathrin (new)

Anne-Kathrin | 54 comments I like it a lot but I am not exactly making a lot of progress either. I am in book 2, and I have been reading it since day 1 of May!

message 38: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha (kanksu) | 1 comments I've been meaning to start reading Murakami, but if I'm being honest, kind of apprehensive about the size of this one. Hope it goes well.

message 39: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) i am soo behind. I just got my copy

message 40: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) To be honest, I don't think this is the best introduction to Murakami. I'd agree that Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a good starter, so is Norwegian Wood, and Kafka on the Shore is wonderful too.

message 41: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I just started reading this and am utterly spellbound. Too bad I have 3 books I’m supposed to finish first, though that might not happen, whoops!

message 42: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (biancabirdy) | 15 comments This book was the first one I was going to read for this club, but at my library they can't find book 3, so I don't think I'll finish it on time :(

message 43: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I finally started reading this yesterday. I've been putting it off because it isn't on any of my challenges and it is a bit of a commitment. I'm at the 200 page mark. I hope to hit 400 tonight and finish by the end of the long weekend. I think I can, I think I can!

message 44: by Anne-Kathrin (new)

Anne-Kathrin | 54 comments I love it, but two months in I am STILL not done... Hope to be able to join you all in the spoilers thread soon... Anyone else still hanging in there?

message 45: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I made it through and I think there are some updates on the spoilers. Hope you finish soon. Would love to hear your thoughts. I really enjoyed it! Good luck.

message 46: by Anne-Kathrin (new)

Anne-Kathrin | 54 comments Thank you!

message 47: by aJENtD (new)

aJENtD | 42 comments Buddy read status: falling behind.
I should be able to catch up this weekend, though. So far I'm about 3 chapters in and like it.