The Sword and Laser discussion

Local Group Meetups > North Carolina

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments Anyone else in NC? I'm in the Raleigh / RTP area.

message 2: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I'm just down the road from you, Amanda, in Fayetteville.

And my niece Heather, whom I'm trying to induct into the collective, lives in Raleigh.

message 3: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle I'm in the Raleigh area :)

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments Raleigh/wake forest

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments would yall like to schedule a time to meet?

message 6: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I work a lot of nights, so my opportunities to attend will be limited, but if I can come, I will.

Amanda, any ideas where we could meet?

message 7: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) I live in Durham. I'm the Co-Organizer of the Color of Fandom Meetup. We meet regularly for fandom related events, so check us out.

Otherwise I'm game for meeting. I'm good for evenings and weekends but the more notice the better :-)

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments I don't know anywhere off the top of my head but I'm definitely interested in meeting if anyone has any suggestions.

message 9: by Walter (last edited Aug 02, 2014 08:12PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Are there any specialty sf and fantasy bookstores in the area? My wife and I just attended the S&L meet in San Francisco the other night, and they met in the Borderlands bookstore there.

If there aren't any specialty sf/fantasy bookstores with enough space to accommodate a meet, a Barnes & Noble would make a good meeting place. Might be a good idea to talk with the management and prearrange something. Maybe do it on a certain day of the week, like the last Tuesday of the month or whatnot.

message 10: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments Barnes and nobles always works. they have coffee

message 11: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) Barnes & Noble's at Brier Creek is probably a central location. Maybe someone can call ahead and get a table reserved.

message 12: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I'd volunteer to organize things, or to share the responsibility for doing so, but since most of the interested folks who've replied to this thread live in or near Raleigh, and I live in Fayetteville (not to mention I work a schedule that would allow me to attend at best half the time), I'm sure there are other folks better situated to arrange things.

Co-organizers would be even better if two folks were willing to take the job on. That way, if one person is unavailable, there'd be a backup.

Amanda, since you created the thread, how would you feel about playing chief cat herder? :)

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments how is Brier Creeks table space? I have never been to there BN. I know that Southgate mall BN is very cramped but Town centers BN has alot of table space. Just a thought.
I don't remember much about Crab trees BN.

message 14: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) I've only been to the Brier Creek location a couple of times. I would say they have a similar amount of space except that it's all one level. I don't know what their meeting policies are but I can call and find out.

If that doesn't work, McCalister's Deli and the Carolina Ale house are locations my fandom group uses for meetings. I've never set them up so I don't know but I can ask our Chief cat herder/organizer how she does it.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments I would love to help coordinate a meeting but my personal schedule is too busy right now for me to take on full responsibility. It seems like we have a good collaboration going on here. I have to go to Briar Creek this afternoon anyway so I will stop by the B&N and assess the space and seating situation.

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 96 comments Anyone further west? I am in Hickory, NC.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments Brier Creek B&N has a small seating area around the cafe and one other seating area with 4 arm chairs. If we meet up at time when business is slow we would probably be able to grab a few cafe tables; otherwise, we might have trouble finding seating. Maybe a restaurant in the area would be better provided that we don't meet during a meal time. Brixx or Alehouse maybe.

message 18: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) I agree a restaurant would be better. I personally would go for Ale House over Brixx, but I'm down for whatever.

message 19: by Walter (last edited Aug 08, 2014 08:11AM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I've never been to the Briar Creek B&N, but it sounds like the one at the Streets of Southpoint in terms of available seating room; i.e., not very much. It's odd, because the B&N here in Fayetteville has a ton of open space.

Anyone familiar with the B&N at Crabtree Valley Mall? I haven't been there yet, but unlike the others it might have a great deal more room.

message 20: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) Never been there but I'm thinking the chair policy is still first come first served. I'd prefer the security of a reservation.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments I've gone to the B&N at Crabtree several times. There is more seating in their cafe area than Brier Creek but I don't recall seeing any other seating areas. I think the overall store is smaller than the brier creek store.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments What about a coffee shop? The Caribou on Duraleigh has lots of big tables and an area that can be closed off for more private meetings. I've seen study groups there before.

message 23: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) I've never been there but the Google directions seem doable. If we meet fairly soon we can sit outside and enjoy the pre-fall weather.

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments Caribou Coffee

http://goo.gl/maps/Le1lQ

message 25: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) I'm down.. let me know where & when.

message 26: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments I havent been on Duraleigh in a while as I live on the othe3 side literllay between durham and raleigh off 98. but id be willing to try it.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments We can go ahead and schedule our first meet up at the caribou and discuss a better or more convenient location for future meet ups.

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments Does a Saturday afternoon work for most people? Saturday, August 30 might be an option but that is also labor day weekend. Or we can wait until September. How often are yall interested in getting together?

message 29: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) My vote is September. As far as meeting it depends on the agenda. I would say we should average biweekly.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments Saturday, September 13 @ 3pm?

message 31: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) I think I'm clear that weekend.

message 32: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) Well I was.. I won't be able to make that date. I can do the 14th though...

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments Is anyone still interested in meeting on the 13 or should we reschedule? I can't meet on the 14.

message 34: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments It depends where we are meeting.

message 35: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) My Saturday has opened up so I can do the 13th.

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 21 comments where would you like to meet?

message 37: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) Are we still going to meet as a group?

message 38: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments This is how my area works I'm about evenly spaced between louisburg/bunn area (20 min),durham area 20 minutes, wakefield 5 minutes, north Raleigh 5 minutes. highway 1, 98 by pass durham road, capital blvd, 401 all accessible from my area as well as smaller areas like roseville.

Did you all meet on the 13th?