Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Night / Elie Wiesel / 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynda (last edited May 02, 2018 02:45AM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Wiesel's writes of the difficulties generations had in their households where the young people sometimes wanted to flee for other ports, other countries. "Denial," says Wiesel kept families in Germany. Who would have thought that a country of great innovators and businesses that needed to occassionally borrow from the wealthier Jews and who needed thinking workers (Students of Jewish religious literature are literate capable of thinking across different lines.) would kill Jews. This is mine: What modern country would want to repeat the problems the Spanish created for themselves with 1492 edict? Who can understand these things? Sometimes humans are just inscrutable.

The only good thing--in some cases--is that when deported to the work and death camps that the men of the family and the women of the family were allowed to stay together and encourage each other. More people would have undoubtedly died if they had not had each other lean on. In this narrative Wiesel spells out a couple of things he cannot forgive himself about--particularly things about how he treated his father. A human being can only tolerate so much. Mr Wiesel I hope you have found peace in your new form.
I know that the ideal of the same sex family members was not always so ideal. Family members sometimes had to know or even had to watch family members be exterminated.

Wiesel does remind his readers that not only the Jews were exterminated. Other families suffered losses. Families had their mentally challenged ("mental degenerates") loved ones removed from their care and exterminated. Families of Catholics and families of political agitators all suffered. The Nazis wanted only political sheep, those who complied with the party line.

Wiesel struggled with his spiritual condition as he struggled through his experiences in the work camps. He was only as human as the next person. Perhaps he went inside and healed himself some. I do hope so.

message 2: by Cynda (last edited May 02, 2018 02:59AM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Muzhen-ReadTime wrote: "Cynda wrote: "Wiesel's writes of the difficulties generations had in their households where the young people sometimes wanted to flee for other ports, other countries. "Denial," says Wiesel kept fa..."

Thank you Muzhen. My ancestors left Spain after the 1492 edict. Really then left 1762 and came to the area now Texas. They hid out that long as New Christians. A direct ancestor received a land grant and high-tailed it to Tejas/Texas. Some cousins stayed in Europe. I read this narrative in honor of cousins left behind.

message 3: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Great choice - this book should be read by everyone.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9350 comments I agree. A few folks in our group have suggested it should be required reading in high school. I don’t know about that, but I would love to the suggested as a book folks should read at some point in their adult life.

message 5: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments My son had this book as required reading in his English class this year (he is in 10th grade).

message 6: by Cynda (last edited May 02, 2018 06:11PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) I agree with Amy.
To add something. The Diary of a Young Girl is a good start. The Anne Frank museum has a certain age--I think 10--where the staff assesses that people are old enough to understand and tolerate the message adequately. Night may be too much. Anne is speaking of hiding, fears of possibilities. The reality is post-diary. Wiesel is describing some of Anne's and her family's and friend's fears.

message 7: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) ❇Critterbee wrote: "Great choice - this book should be read by everyone."

Thank you Critterbee

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Certainly a good book with serious material that’s not easy. I’ve read all his books and reread them every few years. What a great man who really sought to tell the story and to change lives.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I read this in high school honor lit. It will stay with me forever.