Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1)
This topic is about Justice Calling
May 2018: Children of Blood&Bone > ALT: Justice Calling Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Due to the lack of availability of the main pick at many libraries, we're adding Justice Calling by Annie Bellet as an alt. Use this thread to discuss the book. (Spoiler Warning. Please limit spoilers to the first book only. Use The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Series Discussion to discuss the entire series.)
Gamer. Nerd. Sorceress.

Jade Crow lives a quiet life running her comic book and game store in Wylde, Idaho. After twenty-five years fleeing from a powerful sorcerer who wants to eat her heart and take her powers, quiet suits her just fine. Surrounded by friends who are even less human than she is, Jade figures she’s finally safe.

As long as she doesn’t use her magic.

When dark powers threaten her friends’ lives, a sexy shape-shifter enforcer shows up. He’s the shifter world’s judge, jury, and executioner rolled into one, and he thinks Jade is to blame. To clear her name, save her friends, and stop the villain, she’ll have to use her wits… and her sorceress powers.

Except Jade knows that as soon as she does, a far deadlier nemesis awaits.

Justice Calling is the first book in The Twenty-Sided Sorceress urban fantasy series. Readers who enjoyed The Dresden Files or The Iron Druid Chronicles will likely enjoy this series.

message 2: by Qukatheg (new)

Qukatheg | 17 comments I loved it so much I'm going to read the entire series. So many fun nerdy characters!

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) An urban paranormal with a female MC that plays D&D? Yes please. I really wish it could have been longer. I originally thought this could be a novella. The audiobook was about 3 or 4 hours and I don't feel we got as much detail and character exploration as we could have in that short period of time. I did enjoy it and will be picking up the rest.

Tina | 27 comments I enjoyed justice calling, but it was too short to make me really feel for any of these characters.
I read the second book as well, but after that I don't feel the need to continue this series.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
I'm trying to do more actual book reviews for the things I read, but I'm going to repost what I wrote here.

I suppose it's not the worst complaint to say that a book as too short. Normally when I hear that, I assume it's someone putting their own expectations on what a book should be instead of enjoying it for what it is. In this case, however, I think the book suffers somewhat for it. This could have been a much better introduction to the series, but instead it brushes past the MC's backstory, it leaves many of the characters underdeveloped and flat, and awkwardly tacks on a love-at-first-sight romance.

The writing itself was good, and the plot, while not expansive, moved along without a hitch. A solid 3.5 stars, rounded up for giving us a much better representation of nerd culture than other books I've read.

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) Tina wrote: "I enjoyed justice calling, but it was too short to make me really feel for any of these characters.
I read the second book as well, but after that I don't feel the need to continue this series."

Was the second book of similar length to the first book?

Malaraa | 335 comments Yes, they're all extremely short.

Sarah (thesarahpalooza) Definitely agree that this book was way too short. Not a fan of the under-developed romance, under-developed characters, and under-developed magic system. But it was still super fun.

I was actually really drawn into this magic system, when they explained the three groups of shifters, sorcerers born with internal magic and humans that can tap external magic. The eat a heart; get more power idea was interesting, but they don't really explain the extent of what magic can do. What can magic change and affect? What can't be affected? That kind of thing.

Weirdly, my library has only the first and fifth book, so I'm just gonna have to pick something else on my long TBR list. I only wanted to continue with the series as the book was so short rather than a really compelling desire to keep on reading.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Justice Calling (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Annie Bellet (other topics)