flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > Mellow in May

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2425 comments magnificent May
O wonderful day
the best of months I think
so read and play
relax! be gay
it's over in a blink

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2425 comments Sorry to be late posting this and apologies for the doggerell it's a bit corny I know. this I wrote this morning but too busy to go online until now.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1278 comments Magdelanye wrote: "Sorry to be late posting this and apologies for the doggerell it's a bit corny I know. this I wrote this morning but too busy to go online until now."

I love corny: especially when I first wake up and need simple, happy things! (as well as my coffee).

Hope it's a happy busy!

I can't believe it's May already. Getting excited for summer vacation!

message 4: by Petra (new)

Petra | 884 comments I like the poem, Magdelanye. It's cheerful and happy.

Isn't today moving day? Hope all goes well. Hugs.

Ellie, where are you going on vacation this year?

I'm trying to think of a place to go with step-dad for our walking week. I've run out of ideas for places with flat terrain and interesting hiking trails.

Let's hope that May lasts longer than April, which just flew by.

message 5: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 32 comments I love the poem! It's a dreary day here on the east coast, and it makes me hopeful that true May days are just around the corner. :)

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 204 comments May the Fourth be with you all.

It has been sunny here for quite a few days in Vancouver with just a few clouds today.
Magelanye - love the May poem and hope you are in a good space, with your things well stored and your heart ready to play and be gay. May it not all be gone in a blink.
Red Clocks is an amazing book, but right now I wonder why that title. There are a few protagonists and their lives and stories are woven together so beautifully.

I hope you all are doing well.

message 7: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 768 comments Returned from the North(umberland) ... with the cold wind accompanying me under partial sunny skies, just like reading Nordic Noir !

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2425 comments greetings dear group,
Just jumping in here while I'm at the library here in Powell River.
Yes, its back to that as there is no Wi-Fi in the remote boonies where I am staying.
It felt very odd to have no time whatsoever to read while the actual move was going on, and it was slow to get back to it. But I did finish this am The Leavers by Lisa Ko and wow, what an amazing book. Thanks Ellie for the rec.
Hope the weather has perked up for you east coasters.
Will check in again when I can!!!

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2425 comments its a new rhythm for me but I am quite excited about my life right now and tho I miss somewhat my old routines, it feels right to be just where I am.

Still not reading so voraciously but I am enjoying what I have and trying to finish all my library books before I leave here. I have a room booked for June 6 for a presentation which will include poetry.
Petra, I guess you will ever be connected for me to Proust, until perhaps I have read him myself and can make him mine. The latest reference is a poem I just read, called Proust in the Waters, from a collection by Michael Ondaatje called the cinnamon peeler. Its a great poem which may be even more meaningful to someone who has read him. Which come to think of it, I believe at least Ellie has. I'm only 20 years behind schedule!

message 10: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 32 comments Where did you move Magdelayne?

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2425 comments hey Natasha, I am ON the move for a while, putting on my pilgrim robes again to promote the camino world peace project while I keep my heart open for somewhere to settle.
Good to hear from you!

message 12: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 32 comments Blessed travels my friend! You are always an inspiration! ❤️

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 204 comments @ Magdelayne - Where do you hang your pilgrim robes at night? I hope you have a nice place to stay while you save the world.

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1278 comments Missing you Magdelanye: I hope you are well and enjoy safe travels. Until (soon) you find your home.

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2425 comments Actually wrote a long reply and note of appreciation on my friends computer a few days ago and it did not post. And today earlier I tried posting the monthly topic and the computer would not cooperate and there was nothing when I checked my fone. So it seems rather ironic that I had no difficulty at all posting this update and I hope this comment.
On the ferry back to Powell River after a few days in Van and a night in the Creek.
Please don't worry about me...I feel so blessed.

Natasha I noticed You got a new book by Heather O my darling. So jealous.
Ellie I am only an internet connection away, just slower.
we are about to land.
Peace

message 16: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2425 comments ugh the downside of the fone is Spell check changing things even sentences. I was bring the ease of working with the fone when doing group updates. Not sure how clear or coherent I am at this stage but we are about to disembark so it will have to do

message 17: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 768 comments Ghosts in the machine .........

message 18: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1278 comments Magdelanye wrote: "Actually wrote a long reply and note of appreciation on my friends computer a few days ago and it did not post. And today earlier I tried posting the monthly topic and the computer would not cooper..."

So happy you are well and happy.

My work is going well although the politics are fierce and next year is not looking good for me. So I'm trying to stay focused on right now. I've started guitar lessons and am having fun with that.

Anyone read anything by Fleur Jaeggy? She writes these very strange short stories in which the characters are generally despairing. But I am somewhat drawn to the stories anyway.

Also reading The Burning Girl by Claire Messud which is easy reading and so far good. I took Indian Horse out of the library and hope to read it in the next few weeks. And of course I'm still reading Karl Ove Knausgaard's last installment of My Struggle. Right now, he's writing a detailed examination of a Paul Celan poem which is very interesting but slow going for me.

Hope everyone is enjoying good weather and good health.

message 19: by Petra (new)

Petra | 884 comments Magdelanye, it's great to hear from you and know that all is well in your world. I hope we hear of a new and wonderful permanent home soon.

Ellie, I'm sorry that next year is already looking stressful at work. I wish it could be otherwise.

I threw my back out a few weeks back. It still niggles a bit but I can get around normally again.

Step-dad was here last week and we had a good time. We mainly went for walks each day (that's his hobby) and tried a few new parks and trails, all of which were lovely.

message 20: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1278 comments Petra wrote: "Magdelanye, it's great to hear from you and know that all is well in your world. I hope we hear of a new and wonderful permanent home soon.

Ellie, I'm sorry that next year is already looking stre..."

So sorry about your back Petra. Glad it's getting better: hope it's 100% soon!

I've wondered sometimes if I made the right choice in careers but it's too late now to worry about that! For the moment, I'm just repeating my mantra, One More Year. And then I get to retire.

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 884 comments Next year will be your last year, Ellie? That's terrific news! It'll be so nice to leave the stress behind.
It's so difficult to know if the decisions we've made are correct. I try not to worry about this (although I do at times) and try to go forward with the decisions made.

I'm thinking of retiring at the end of the year. I'm going to talk with my boss soon and let him know that January is when I'm thinking of going.

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1278 comments Petra wrote: "Next year will be your last year, Ellie? That's terrific news! It'll be so nice to leave the stress behind.
It's so difficult to know if the decisions we've made are correct. I try not to worry ab..."

Petra wrote: "Next year will be your last year, Ellie? That's terrific news! It'll be so nice to leave the stress behind.
It's so difficult to know if the decisions we've made are correct. I try not to worry ab..."

Thank you for sharing, Petra. I do try to let the past go, except for when I don't! I hope you do get to retire next year. June is my date (although if it gets really bad, I may go earlier). Retirement sounds so good. So much of the stress gone.

I'll have time for music and poetry. My friend just retired a few months ago and she's loving it. She says she has so much more energy. That would be nice.

message 23: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1278 comments Petra wrote: "Next year will be your last year, Ellie? That's terrific news! It'll be so nice to leave the stress behind.

Petra wrote: "Next year will be your last year, Ellie? That's terrific news! It'll be so nice to leave the stress behind.

Thank you for sharing, Petra. I do try to let the past go, except for when I don't! I hope you do get to retire next year. June is my date (although if it gets really bad, I may go earlier). Retirement sounds so good. So much of the stress gone.

I'll have time for music and poetry. My friend just retired a few months ago and she's loving it. She says she has so much more energy. That would be nice.

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra | 884 comments Ellie wrote: "I'll have time for music and poetry. My friend just retired a few months ago and she's loving it. She says she has so much more energy. That would be nice. ..."

More energy would be nice. I'm hoping to spend more time with hobbies and friends. I'd really like to feel rested every day. I like my job (most of the time) but the freedom of having my time as my own is alluring. I've got other things to do now at this stage of life, as you do. Music and poetry are restful.

message 25: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1278 comments Good luck Petra! It would be nice to go into retirement together :)