A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1) A Court of Frost and Starlight discussion

Come talk about this book!! *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jess SO I seem to be one of the only people who've finished it and want to talk about it OR I just can't use a search button properly.
People who've read this book and want to scream and cry with me please join!

Yomna Jessica wrote: "SO I seem to be one of the only people who've finished it and want to talk about it OR I just can't use a search button properly.
People who've read this book and want to scream and cry with me pl..."

Wasn't the sneak peak just AWESOME! Can't wait for the next books!

Kjmiller The teaser was 👌👌👌 I find Nestas POV very interesting. Get a different take on people.
We'll get to hear about her powers in the next book (if it IS about them, as the teaser leads us to believe). Get to see her healing arc. Cassians healing arc - he'll learn he's not just some 'low born Illyrian bastard'. Nessian 😍 learn more about about the Illyrians stirring up trouble -Kallon especially.
So Cassian talked a fair bit about the blood rite in this book. He mentioned the troublemaker, kallon, would do the blood rite this spring or next. He also mentioned that he would offer to 'participate HIMSELF, if it meant quieting the grumbling.' - do you think nesta will somehow get to do the rite and he'll go after her/participate (or vise versa) and they'll face the ancient creatures he described and the other rivals together?

Enough predictions! Sorry. I thought there'd be more character development in this book, considering it had no action. But it mainly set up the next few books. It was nice to hear from feyre & Rhys again but I'm glad their spotlight has come to an end.

Any really negative/positive responses to the novella? Having read a couple spoilers and negative reviews on the book before I picked it up, I went in with low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. I thought we'd hear more about what was happening outside of the Night Court but I guess we'll have to wait for the next books (i think the next one will focus on issues in Illyria and the one after will involve either the humans or continent)

A lot of people are still stuggling in this book. Other than Nesta. Mor is not ok. Elain seems like she's getting better but I think she's more broken than she's letting on.

Hard to read what's happening with Az/Elain/Lucien. Az was still looking at Mor with 'yearning and heat' in the gift giving scene. Did you read the Az & Elain interactions as friendship or more? It's hard to know without getting their POV.

Hillary I'm really glad it's not a mor narrated book i was kind of worried part way through the book that she was setting it up for the next book to be from Mor's POV. I was really hoping for Lucian butt i'm actually really looking forward to the next book about Nesta and Cassian and seeing what happens and what nesta's power is going to be. Every since book three i've really lost interest in mor as a character. I'm not sure about Az and Elain I go back and forth I'm not sure if it's romantic love thats growing or a friendship brother sister we have a connection and understand each other on a deeper level kind of thing. I know tamlin was an a$$ but i couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for him.....I did have the craziest thought though like what if Rhy's and Feyre have a daughter and she turns out to be tamlin's mate....lol high drama but i would still laugh

message 5: by Jess (last edited May 02, 2018 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess @Kjmiller

I am SO here for the Nesta POV. Cassian is an interesting character for me and her treatment of him hurts my heart a little but, like, is she entitled to it? I honestly don't know at this point. I can't wait for the look into the Illyrians! Maybe even since they brought up Cassian's mother, maybe Nesta finds her body? (Big reach there). I can definitely see Nesta getting up the mountain to the monolith if she can care about it that much, or OOO maybe even joining Cass in training the Illyrian females?? Like her being trained alongside them and drawing more attention and less derision to the practice?
Yea, I like the slight stuff we see but also I get leaving it for the future, they are immortal and it'll take a hot second because they're stubborn af.

I've heard some not good thoughts and I understand because it's not very action heavy, but it is a novella? And it sets up for SO many things and (something I was TOTALLY not keeping up to date on) Sarah is about to have a baby??!? Like, WOW big point in her life to be churning out these books man!

I think it sets up stuff with Tam, Lucien+Elain+Az, Nessian, what happened with Nesta and Amren, the baby thing, the Illyrians, what Keir could possibly do to Valeris and Mor, Mor's coming out (possibly), Az+Mor, the Band of Exiles (mhmmmm.....) and Vassa's curse, maybe something to do with Hybern's unrest, finding Bryaxis, that king with Vassa's unbreakable curse, etc etc like WOW.

I honestly don't know with Az and Elain, that's an interesting situation...it'd be very Elain to not accept Lucien as a mate (I don't blame her) and just go on with her life and possibly have a quiet flirtation with Az or become very close friends and stuff and something maybe (???) happening? Idk. But Mor needs to definitely tell Az or at least let him know she's not interested in him like that cause it's getting to that point.

I guess we'll find out about all of the above!! So many open ends!!

Jess @hillary
Honest to god if their offspring is Tam's mate I don't think I could take that...also it's almost too Twilight-ish for my taste and possibly Sarah's?
I bet Feysand has the baby like super early though or at the worst possible time because that's them or something to do with it's mate, maybe Cass even? :E

Magdalena It will be a boy as the Carver showed Feyre. Tamlin is not in for males.

Aneesa I want the next book already!!!!! Im not patient at all, but honestly i feel sad for tamlin, i kno i know just hear me out. He has nothing now and is sad and he knows that he ,ade mistakes, but i just feel bad!! Hes got nothing ,and i really didnt think i would feel bad. I was hoping for Rysand to puch him and all but then i was like hes sad just let him be, and he had no one on solsciste!!!!! I felt so bad :(

Adrienne Reeser Can't wait for some Nesta and Cassian!!! <3

Brittany Aneesa wrote: "I want the next book already!!!!! Im not patient at all, but honestly i feel sad for tamlin, i kno i know just hear me out. He has nothing now and is sad and he knows that he ,ade mistakes, but i j..."
I agree. granted he did bring it on himself but when he asked rhys if feyre would ever forgive him, I felt that he finally saw that he did wrong. hope he does get his happy ending and learns from his mistakes.

Brittany with all of that arguing and fighting between nesta and cassian when something finally happens between these two it is going to make feyre and rhy's cabin scenes seem g rated lol

Hillary Magdalena wrote: "It will be a boy as the Carver showed Feyre. Tamlin is not in for males."

I meant if they had more children and one of them was a girl

Hillary no spoilers and off topic but I had a thought of how sarah is going to give aelin her happy ending and make it so she can live I think both her and dorian will combine their power to make the key so neither has to die i forget which book its in but they tell aelin that it was going to be either her or dorian to create the key one of them was the spare just in case but dorian was not ready so it had to be her but i think dorian will be ready when it comes time to make the key

Magdalena Hillary wrote: "Magdalena wrote: "It will be a boy as the Carver showed Feyre. Tamlin is not in for males."

I meant if they had more children and one of them was a girl"

Tamlin was still involved in the death of any pontenial daugther's grandparents and aunt so I hope not. To complicated.

Jessica Tamlin: Hope he gets a shot at happiness. These are immortals so if you look back and see that for maybe 100 years of his 5000 plus years he was a dick, I think we could call it a phase and move on. I'm totally of the mindset that he was a good guy in ACOTAR and it wasn't until the very end and all of ACOMAF that he became a jerk. And i don't think it was organic, it felt forced. I'm all for Rhys and Feyre but I think Tamlin deserves to become a better person and show that he can be a good guy.

Elaine and Azriel.. please don't let it be. I'm sure Sarah could make anything work but I don't think they suit well. Azriel is a warrior and is dark. Elaine is happy and calm and i think would find it hard to be around someone who tortures and kills (even if its for a good reason). Thats why I like Lucien for her. While he may partake in war-type things, he doesn't like it and seems he would be much happier as a diplomat. Azriel needs someone who will accept him for what he is and will see strength and courage there, not someone who would potentially fear his dark (which I would see Elaine doing). Besides - Lucien is the son of the day court, and what better for Elaine's beloved gardens then some sun???

Nesta and Cassian: YAS QWEEN. Make it happen. Those two sure make the room hotter. I love their love/hate relationship which you can just tell that is all about the fact that they are really in love/lust with each other. I want the next book to focus on that, really. We know there is lust but I want them to see why they are so perfect for each other in spirit and mentally/emotionally, not just physically. I love how Nesta puts Cassian in his place. I love how Cassian doesn't take shit from Nesta. She can't be with someone weak. She needs someone who can temper that fire. I think she will totally do the blood right, there was no other reason to bring that up as much as it was in this book if not to foreshadow.

Feyre and Rhys: Cute but boring now. Why is homegirl having a kid? I have a 2 year old and am pregnant again and this shit is hard work! If i had FOREVER, I would have some sexy time fun for a while and thhheeennnn have a kid. I love my daughter to death and we cannot wait to meet baby number 2 in November but DAYUM if i had forever, my husband and I would probably have waited a little longer and enjoyed our life together. I mean, unlimited wealth and time? Do some crazy shit before you settle down that much! You just won a war. Enjoy it girl!!

Eda Yangin I didn't actually like this novella. I think she took too long to write and now with everything gong on in her life t's going to take her like 3 years to publish the next book. I feel like this should've come out wayyy sooner and i know it was just to tie the first three books with the rest of the series but I was just really not impressed with this novella and I had been waiting for it for so long I just wanted to cry and throw my kindle out the window. Can anyone else relate?

Elise Backer Does anyone think that the next series is going to focus on Nesta? I don’t mean to offend anyone but in my opinion I would be kind of sad if it was. All of the other characters are SO much more interesting and fun and I would be really disappointed if the next books were focused on Nesta. I just love Feyre and Rhys so much I want to hear more from them! They have gotten me through some really tough times and I love their story so much.

Hillary it does seem like it will be nesta but a really hope the next three books will not all be nesta but perhaps there will be several POV's like with TOG? I was really hoping for that the next book would be from Lucien's POV I think there is so much that goes on in his head that he knows or notices that he does not say or reveal and I thought it would be really interesting especially after finding out where he's living but i think the way it ended with nesta going with cassian made it pretty obvious that it will be her pov which is kind of disappointing but i'll take what I can get my hope now is that maybe the fourth book with be a different pov or this third book will have more than just nesta's pov my biggest releif though is that it's not Mor's POV really have no interest in her story especially after sarah kind of made her into a selfish coward when she had her reviel that she's been playing people off of each other and playing with peoples emotions to protect her own secret when really lets be honest like rhys or any of them would care or judge her

message 19: by ❥ M I A (last edited May 30, 2018 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

❥ M I A Eda Yangin wrote: "I didn't actually like this novella. I think she took too long to write and now with everything gong on in her life t's going to take her like 3 years to publish the next book. I feel like this sho..."

Honestly, I felt the novella was extremely repetitive and sloppy. There were so many overused phrases (I'm getting really fed up with the words "mate", "male", "vulgar gesture") and cheesy lines. And don't get me started on Feyre constantly mentioning the sum of money she now shares with Rhys and how she'd feel so guilty if she spent it... That was especially... irking... I felt like it was constantly being shoved in my face. (Feyre and Rhys are honestly getting on my nerves now.)

I know that this is a novella and there isn't supposed to be a lot of action, but even then, there should be some character development right? Frankly, it seems like some of the previous character development backslides in this installment. There should be something gained here that couldn't have been gained in brief passing in the previous book or the coming books - but that wasn't the case, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of Sarah's other books, but this was just disappointing... I wish there was more substance to (or simply the existence of) Cassian, Nesta, Elain, and Azriel's chapters, but alas, one cannot have everything.

However, I don't really blame Sarah. She's been dealing with huge events in her own life, which is much more important, so I wholeheartedly respect those circumstances. I just hope her next books have the sophistication and editing that was sadly lacking in this novella...

Shawna Brittany wrote: "with all of that arguing and fighting between nesta and cassian when something finally happens between these two it is going to make feyre and rhy's cabin scenes seem g rated lol"
hahahahahaha so true, so true!

Shawna ❥ M I A wrote: "Eda Yangin wrote: "I didn't actually like this novella. I think she took too long to write and now with everything gong on in her life t's going to take her like 3 years to publish the next book. I..."

I agree wholeheartedly, there was something 'off' for me in this novella and perhaps it was the writing? Either way I definitely found the writing style to be too sloppy for me and very repetitive, I understand we're talking about fae and high fae but it's getting too animalistic at this point?

message 22: by Nicko Mocanu (last edited Jun 08, 2018 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nicko Mocanu (Elril Moonweaver) I haven't finished this novella. I DNF-ed it just after the Rhys and Tamlin meeting because I just couldn't stand how much of an asshole Rhys was to Tamlin.
Oh and also because Tamlin is suffering from clinical depression and the other characters are just like: "Ya sure, whatever, let him wallow in his misery, he deserved it".
No one should be forced to live in loneliness, shame and self-pity like Tamlin is right now.

If anything I would actually like to have a bit of story dedicated to Tamlin, because quite frankly I am tired of seeing Feyra and Rhys gushing about their relationship to everyone, especially the readers.

Fire heart Nicko wrote: "I haven't finished this novella. I DNF-ed it just after the Rhys and Tamlin meeting because I just couldn't stand how much of an asshole Rhys was to Tamlin.
Oh and also because Tamlin is suffering ..."

I totally agree! As much as I hate Tamlin, Rhys was being horrible to him. It's pretty obvious that Tamlin wants to commit suicide, and the rest of the characters are just letting him live like this. You're right- Tamlin is going through depression, loneliness and self-hatred. I feel like people also overlook the fact that It was Tamlin's army that turned the tide of the war. I could tell that Tamlin was trying to be good, but none of the characters seemed to care.
But, this did make me like Lucien even more cuz he went to visit Tamlin and made sure he was doing alright.

message 24: by Kira (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kira Nieves Was anyone else annoyed that Feyre decided to do a complete 180 and decide to have kids so soon? I completely agreed with their decision to wait back in ACOMAF because it made sense but now they're just disregarding it? Didn't they make a pact that if one of them dies then other would die as well because they wouldn't want to be without each other? If that's the case then bringing a child into the mix and then if one parent died and then the other deciding to die as well, which would leave their child an orphan, seems very selfish to me. Plus the world is still healing and there are new troubles brewing close to home and the everlasting peace they want so badly is still far off so why the hell would you want to bring a kid into that before it's accomplished? Plus Feyre's only 21! Ya'll have got so many years ahead of you. You can stand to wait.

message 25: by Moon (new) - rated it 1 star

Moon Kira wrote: "Was anyone else annoyed that Feyre decided to do a complete 180 and decide to have kids so soon?"

That felt off to me too. In ACOMAF Feyre was equal to Rhys. He supported her decision to wait until she was ready to have children. After the mess that was ACOFAS Feyre is practically a housewife.

And for anyone out there who did enjoy ACOFAS I am sincerely glad you did! However, I simply can't look past the problematic areas surrounding Feyre and Rhys' relationship. Feyre admitting to Rhys that she wanted him under the mountain glorifies an abusive situation. It bothers me how SJM romanticized/excused his behavior later on in the series when previously he had terrorized Feyre by placing a decapitated head outside the Spring Court, painfully entered Feyre's mind without consent, painfully twisted her already broken arm while she was sick, manipulated and drugged her and then paraded her around half-naked. This was a person she wanted? Right. I'm sorry but it makes no sense whatsoever that Feyre would desire Rhys at this point in the series! I also feel that it takes away from the wonderful character development Feyre went through in ACOMAF. Her anger towards Rhys was justified. ACOMAF will forever remain one of my favorites. But ACOFAS was rubbish and ruined the series for me.

message 26: by L. (last edited Jul 28, 2018 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

L. Kira wrote: "Was anyone else annoyed that Feyre decided to do a complete 180 and decide to have kids so soon? I completely agreed with their decision to wait back in ACOMAF because it made sense but now they're..."

I asked myself exactly the same question about their bargain and I'm really happy that others have also noticed. I tell you I just want to scream high and loud to all the fandom about that shit because of all the explanation that Feyre could have to justify the fact of having children she picked the most annoying and illogical one ever. I've never read something that annoy me so much in my whole life ! And beside a kid should never exist in order to fill a void, that's awful ! It feels like the author herself scammed us all and I'm pretty sure that she will justify that fact by saying that they can cancel the bargain or something like that in the future just because it suits her (even though it's such an important promise and even though they were supposed to be together until the end of times) but I'm pretty sure she could say something like that. She just play with us the whole time and I don't like it at all ! (without to forget that Feyre is just 21 and is IMMORTAL so why the HELL ? And after everything that has been said in acomaf ! Ugh I want to vomit, it's disgusting from the author because you imagine things with acomaf and you end up with that in the end ! I shouldn't even care at that point)

message 27: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I"m really curious how the whole Court of Nightmares works now... feels like it gets brushed aside a lot, you know?

Also, does Mor walk up all those stairs every time she goes to the House of Wind? you can't winnow in and... no wings?

Also, the head on the spike thing... Rhys didn't know she was living there when he did that, so....

I want more Feyre and Rhys, but mix it with others for sure. They are a little stagnated in this one, but can totally come out of that for sure! I love their flirtations and such.

I despise Tamlin, but did feel for him in this book, he needs help. Although, either in the excerpt for the next books or the actual book (can't recall) he did start to help him a little (butchering the elk for him), so maybe, something will start to change.

Georgia Irvine-Casault I'm very curious to see how the next book turns out because the book is going to be mostly about Cassian and Nesta, not Rhys and Feyre. Although I do hope we get more information, on the whole, Feyre having kids thing.

Samantha Kira wrote: "Was anyone else annoyed that Feyre decided to do a complete 180 and decide to have kids so soon? I completely agreed with their decision to wait back in ACOMAF because it made sense but now they're..."
I don't remember them making a pact about their lives, if you haven't read KOA this is a spoiler, but I remember Chaol and Yrene making something like that. I also think Feyre should wait to have kids, I get that most of the fandom ( I think) wants more children in both the TOG and ACOTAR series but she is immortal now! Why can't she just wait some time and have some fun with this "inner circle", who by the way don't get like practically any POV's.

Haliak Gnav Brittany wrote: "with all of that arguing and fighting between nesta and cassian when something finally happens between these two it is going to make feyre and rhy's cabin scenes seem g rated lol"
LMAOOO!!!! I definitely agree xDD

Jessica Yeah I’m totally like “FEYRE WHY ARE YOU HAVING KIDS?! You are 21 years old girl and kids are HARD WORK. SAY GOODBYE TO SLEEPING!” (I’m a mom of two, with my younger kid just under 4 months so the struggle is real).
I think Sarah J Maas was probably just writing what is going on in her life and being inspired by it. She just had her first kid.
And while I can say that having children with your love is really a wonderful thing, so is being young and having energy and having sex all the time. It takes a while to rebound after a kid and feel like a woman vs just a “mom” all the time. Hahaha feyre girl, you should have waited.