Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Advice on agent/publishing

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (jstalmer) | 5 comments I have several stories I've been toying with in different forms for years (plays, teleplays, screenplays). I have a greater love and deeper appreciation for reading than any other art form, so I'm going to give it a go - in writing several novels back to back. I've decided on the first two to finish this summer. Most of what I want to write is inspired by real life, with a few completely from my imagination. I have a natural bent toward dark comedy (life is often such).

Question: do I need an agent to get published?

Question: how do I go about pitching my novels to a publisher? Any suggestions of publishers?

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. I have my 10,000+ hours in, have written in every possible genre and type of writing, and am currently a freelance journalist. I am sharing this so it's clear I'm not new to writing.

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1245 comments Mod
Getting a publisher is hard. Most places won't look at unsolicited manuscripts- and you need an agent to get your book in there.
There are some new, very small publishing houses that will take a book- but you have to be careful with them. Without an agent to be your advocate, there is a chance you can be taken advantage of.
You can self-publish- that's what most of us have done. My son self- published and then was picked up by a small hybrid publisher. They handled the editing and production of his book, but I did all his marketing and promotion.
Periodically on Medium, they list agents looking for 'types' of books.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread