World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Latest scam?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 153 comments I have just received an email through my website email purporting to be from Zachary Wayne, a staff Sergent in the US Army who 'came across' US$4M on a raid in Afghanistan and would dearly love to transfer it into my bank account, kindly offering me 20%!

Is this the new Nigerian scam? Anyone else been lucky enough to be 'chosen?"

message 2: by Nihar (new)

Nihar Suthar (niharsuthar) | 38 comments Wow, this is pretty bad to be using the guise of the army in a scam. I haven't received this specific one but I have received a lot of other types - they all typically involve somebody stumbling upon a large sum of money and for wanting to transfer it to your bank account because for some "reason" they can't transfer it to theirs. To compensate you for your efforts, they promise to share a large portion of it with you.

I've also seen a lot of job-related scams going around these days. For example, some scammer will reach out offering you a job (keep in mind you never even interviewed for a job). Some people believe it, especially if they are in the process of searching for a job. This person offers to send you a bonus paycheck. All you have to do is deposit the check into your bank account and transfer $500 to the HR department specified. It usually takes up to 48 hours for the funds from a check to physically appear in your bank account (even though you may see that they are displaying there). In the time you find that the bank has inevitably run into an error due to the check bouncing, you will have already paid out $500.

It's unfortunate but there will always be a new type of scam. You have to be very careful.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments I think a lot of recent scams try to mimic changes in popular accounts, like your "paypal/apple/whatever acc. changed or is outdated" and you are required to 'update' them. And there are probably real notifications from these sites too, so hard to differentiate

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Nihar wrote: "For example, some scammer will reach out offering you a job (keep in mind you never even interviewed for a job)...."

Good to know. Haven't encountered this one...

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11770 comments Nik wrote: "I think a lot of recent scams try to mimic changes in popular accounts, like your "paypal/apple/whatever acc. changed or is outdated" and you are required to 'update' them. And there are probably r..."

For recognition, check the real address that the message came from. If your paypal account query came from Nigeria, say, should you not be suspicious? Or simply trash it?