Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > 3rd Qtr 2018 Long Read Nomination

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited May 01, 2018 03:50PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9893 comments Mod
Nominations for the 3rd Quarter Long Reads
July -- September 2018

Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length. Nominations need to be a book, not a series of books nor an omnibus of books. We are going to read this book over three months, so choose accordingly.

Long Read Nominations must meet the same requirements as books being nominated for our New School and Old School monthly reads. Nominated books must be published prior to the year 2000.

Only the past Long Read Books listed below are NOT eligible:
Long Reads Bookshelf

War and Peace, 1st & 2nd Quarter 2014
Anna Karenina, 3rd Quarter 2014
Les Misérables, 4th Quarter 2014

The Count of Monte Cristo, 1st Quarter 2015
Gone with the Wind, 2nd Quarter 2015
Don Quixote, 3rd Quarter 2015
The Stand, 4th Quarter 2015

Middlemarch, 1st Quarter 2016
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, 2nd Quarter 2016
Bleak House, 3rd Quarter 2016
The Lord of the Rings, 4th Quarter 2016

The Three Musketeers, 1st Quarter 2017
Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, 2nd Quarter 2017
The Brothers Karamazov, 3rd Quarter 2017
The Woman in White, 4th Quarter 2017

Ulysses by James Joyce, 1st Quarter 2018
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray, 2nd Quarter 2018

Feel free to discuss the worthiness of a nominated book. Is it a classic? Is it worth discussing for three months? Please avoid Spoilers in these discussions.

Nominations are open from the 1st through the 14th. Polls will be open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9893 comments Mod
1. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

2. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

2a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

3. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

3a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Discussion Thread for New Rules

message 3: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I would like to nominate The Thorn Birds.

message 4: by Brina (new)

Brina Second The Thorn Birds. I was ready to read it last month.

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2018 comments I nominate A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (1989, 637 pages)

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

message 6: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Brina wrote: "Second The Thorn Birds. I was ready to read it last month."

Thank you, Brina.

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 884 comments I nominate The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James 635 pages, serialized from 1880-1881, and first published as a book in 1881.

From wikipedia: The Portrait of a Lady is the story of a spirited young American woman, Isabel Archer, who, in "confronting her destiny", finds it overwhelming. She inherits a large amount of money and subsequently becomes the victim of Machiavellian scheming by two American expatriates. Like many of James's novels, it is set in Europe, mostly England and Italy. Generally regarded as the masterpiece of James's early period, this novel reflects James's continuing interest in the differences between the New World and the Old, often to the detriment of the former. It also treats in a profound way the themes of personal freedom, responsibility, and betrayal.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I nominate Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley (729 pp, pub 1976).

message 10: by Zoe (new)

message 11: by Leslie (last edited May 01, 2018 05:52PM) (new)

Leslie | 145 comments I nominate Shōgun by James Clavell (1152 pages, 1975)

message 12: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I second Matt's nomination of The Portrait of a Lady.

message 13: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 66 comments I would like to nominate Hawaii by James A. Michener

message 14: by CluckingBell (new)

CluckingBell | 25 comments I'll second Hawaii.

message 15: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Rosemarie wrote: "I second Roots: The Saga of an American Family."

Thanks Rosemarie.

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 884 comments Loretta wrote: "I second Matt's nomination of The Portrait of a Lady."

Thanks, Loretta!

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Matt wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I second Matt's nomination of The Portrait of a Lady."

Thanks, Loretta!"

My pleasure Matt! 😊

message 18: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 66 comments CluckingBell wrote: "I'll second Hawaii."

Thanks, CluckingBelle!

message 19: by Lalitha (new)

Lalitha (falcon_) | 24 comments I second "A Prayer for Owen Meany"

message 20: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I'd like to nominate The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 by Anonymous. (982 pages)

The separation into volumes is due to the length, so books 2 and 3 could be included to make sense of the story. The whole set is 2,784 pages long.

message 21: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Jehona wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 by Anonymous. (982 pages)..."

I wanted to nominate this anyway, so I second instead. It would be great to read this in the summer months!

message 22: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments I would like to nominate The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. It has a prominent place on both the 1001-list, The Guardian list and the World Library 100-list. And we do not have anything by Doris Lessing on our shelf.

message 23: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Petrichor wrote: "Jehona wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 by Anonymous. (982 pages)..."

I wanted to nominate this anyway, so I second instead. It would ..."

Thanks!

It is one of those books that has a scary size and makes people unwilling to start, but the stories inside are shorter so it doesn't tire you. I read the first two (different translation, different language) when I was in middle school, but my school library didn't have the last volume, so I couldn't find out the ending.

message 24: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Yes!
It being a story collection, I expect there will be some more and some less controversial, surprising, interesting and beautiful stories, so I think there would be lots to talk about.
I'd love to dive into this (different from my own) culture and time. I'm curious about the way of living they describe. I'd love to find out about the stories' morals and discuss them with other people in the group. I'm sure I'd miss many aspects otherwise.
There are books which I'd really like to read but don't feel the need to discuss them afterwards. This isn't one of them. I really want to read this with the group.

message 25: by Lia (new)

Lia I nominate Metamorphoses by Ovid, 723 pages

message 26: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I nominate Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Metamorphoses.

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments First round up of nominations -

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough 1977, 692 pages
Bat-Cat - Seconds- Brina (1)

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving 1989, 637 pages
Darren - Seconds- Lalitha (1)

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James 1881, 656 pages
Matt - Seconds- Loretta (1)

Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley 1976, 729 pages
Aubrey - Seconds- Rosemarie (1)

Hawaii by James A. Michener 1959, 1136 pages
Elizabeth A.G. - Seconds- CluckingBell (1)

The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 by Anonymous 800, 982 pages
Jehona - Seconds- Petrichor (1)

Metamorphoses by Ovid 8AD, 723 pages
Lia - Seconds- Kt (1)

The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu 1008, 1182 pages
Zoe -

Shōgun by James Clavell 1975, 1152 pages
Leslie -

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing 1962, 640 pages
J_BlueFlower -

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens 1839, 817 pages
Ada -

message 29: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) I'll second Shōgun

message 30: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Wow, that's an impressive list already! :-)

message 31: by Brina (new)

Brina I agree. I'd like to read 3-4 of them.

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 649 comments I Second The Portrait of a Lady

message 33: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 884 comments Julie wrote: "I Second The Portrait of a Lady"

Thank you, Julie!

message 34: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Julie wrote: "I Second The Portrait of a Lady"

Yea Julie! 😊

message 35: by Leslie (last edited May 02, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Leslie | 145 comments Wow! It's a great list already!!! We need to get reading!

message 36: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll second Portrait of a Lady too! I've been meaning to read James ever since moving to Boston and haven't gotten around to him yet :)

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Francisca wrote: "I'll second Portrait of a Lady too! I've been meaning to read James ever since moving to Boston and haven't gotten around to him yet :)"

Yea Francisca! 😊

message 38: by Lia (new)

Lia Kt wrote: "I second Metamorphoses."

Thank you @kt :D

message 39: by KarenMc (new)

KarenMc | 24 comments I second Shōgun

message 40: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 141 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I would like to nominate The Thorn Birds."
Second!

message 41: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Bárbara wrote: "Bat-Cat wrote: "I would like to nominate The Thorn Birds."
Second!"

Thank you, Barbara! :-)

message 42: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I would like to nominate The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. It has a prominent place on both the 1001-list, The Guardian list and the World Library 100-list. And we do..."

I second The Golden Notebook!

message 43: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3421 comments This list is so good. I want to read just about all of these. This is a tough decision.

I'm going to second A Prayer for Owen Meany

message 44: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments I have been trying to get around to reading The Once and Future King for a while, so I'll nominate that, please.

message 45: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 907 comments I'll second The Once and Future King .

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments I second Arabian Nights.

message 47: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 452 comments I second The Tale of Genji.

message 48: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4206 comments Tonia wrote: "I have been trying to get around to reading The Once and Future King for a while, so I'll nominate that, please."

YES! I will second this also. At the tippy top of my favorites, and so much fun.

message 49: by Jana (new)

message 50: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 884 comments Jana wrote: "I second The Portrait of a Lady"

Thanks, Jana!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.