What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Picture book. Woman in a boat is warned not to look back, but she does and sees the sea full of monsters.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited May 03, 2018 09:40AM) (new)

Jenny Fosket | 2 comments This is a children's picture book, lovely illustrations. The only thing I can remember is that she's in a boat (maybe on the sea, I can picture beautiful pictures of waves) and she's possibly escaping something or somewhere, but she's warned she mustn't turn around and look back. She does and something happens. Maybe it's based on a myth? I read it in the 70s, but don't know if it was new at that time.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Sounds like the legend of Lot's wife, turned into a pillar of salt for looking back.

No boats in that story, though.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36565 comments Mod
Jennifer, is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a longer chapter book with mostly words and some pictures?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, sunny/dark/muted colors/black & white?

Do they remind you of another illustrator/author?

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Fosket | 2 comments It's a picture book. The illustrations are elaborate and colorful, beautiful. Somewhat realistic, but magical.

I'm pretty sure when she turns back she sees that the sea is full of monsters and serpents.

message 5: by Melody (new)

Melody Kemble | 31 comments Any chance it's a Christian children's book? Every possibility I come up with involves bible stories.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Jennifer, are you still looking for this or did you find it?