I Read Comic Books discussion

Avengers: Infinity War Discussion [FULL SPOILERS!!!]

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 581 comments Mod
What did you think of Avengers: Infinity War? How did it stack up compared to other Marvel movies? If you've read the comics, did you like the way they adapted it?

This discussion is FULL SPOILERS for all Marvel superhero movies up through Avengers: Infinity War!

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments I really enjoyed the Movie, I mean, its been 10 years in the making.
During my second viewing I really started following the actual structure of the stories. The thing that stood out to me the most is the parallels between this movie and Jonathan Hickman's Infinity
This Event was following 3 different groups, a story that Ran in New Avengers, a different story that ran on Avengers and the main story that ran in the actual Infinity book. The movie similarly has a story set in space that follows Thor's group, the Earth Story and the Thanos story all coming to ahead in the Third act.

As far as the movie, my favorite sequence is the Fight on Titan.

Of course as any Fan would the ending was very surprising and very sad. I think this movie will succeed because of how rich it is and its rewatchability.
in the grand scheme of things, this is my 3rd favorite MCU film (behind 1- The Winter Soldier and 2 - IronMan)

Also, Thor really was put over hard!! Stormbreaker is so EXTRA cool!

message 3: by Kate (new)

I really loved some scenes of this movie, especially those with Gamora or Spiderman. Overall, the movie felt very disjointed and incomplete. In that way, the viewing experience was exactly like reading a big crossover event comic to me, with all the same pros and cons.

I wish that they had given us a five hour movie with an intermission instead of just releasing what is essentially half of a movie like they did. This trend of splitting big blockbusters into two halves is really frustrating to me as a viewer, and I think it hurts the overall narrative structure and storytelling. What do you guys think?

message 4: by Kate (new)

Daniel wrote: "I really enjoyed the Movie, I mean, its been 10 years in the making.
During my second viewing I really started following the actual structure of the stories. The thing that stood out to me the mos..."

I'd really like to watch it a second time for the same reason. I also think it may flow better if I rewatch some of the preceding movies first.

That's a really interesting point about Infinity. Now I have to check it out! Have you read The Infinity War?

message 5: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 641 comments Mod
Goddamn Peter Quill ruining the goddang Marvel Universe with your whiny, stupid ass...

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Kate wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I really enjoyed the Movie, I mean, its been 10 years in the making.
During my second viewing I really started following the actual structure of the stories. The thing that stood ou..."

I haven't read Infinity War, I know i should, I have a bit of a harder time reading some of the older comics ... I definitely will try.

BTW I really liked Infinity overall, but then again at that point i was reading EVERYTHING Hickman wrote.

With Regards to Mike's comment, i saw a reviewer say that they could not believed that Gamora was "fridged" to move the story along?
Do you guys have any thoughts on that?

message 7: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments I thought the Russo brothers did a fantastic job of balancing all the characters. And after watching this, Spider-Man should ALWAYS be an Avenger. Tom Holland was a highlight of the movie. Oh, and Pirate Angel should be Thor's new name in perpetuity.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Gordon I know I'm alone on this, but I have no interest in seeing this movie at all haha. I got bored/irritated by superhero movies long ago, so I don't even want to bother with the mainline ones anymore. I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU.

I also don't mean to disparage those who like these movies (I hope I can get back into them one day), but I personally haven't found the last few movies I've seen entertaining and Infinity War appears to be more of the same to me.

message 9: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Chris wrote: "I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU."

Interesting. Venom looks to me like the biggest piece of crap to come along in a long time. The Incredibles is the best (and only good) Fantastic Four movie ever made.

message 10: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Daniel wrote: "With Regards to Mike's comment, i saw a reviewer say that they could not believed that Gamora was "fridged" to move the story along? "

Definitely not. Gamora was the only thing in existence that Thanos cared about. It's this kind of thing that keeps him from being a one note villain and gives the character depth. "Fridged" is something that's only done for shock value. I saw Gamora's death coming from the moment she said she had a secret about the gems, but I still thought it was meaningful to the story.

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments Coming from the other end, as a big fan of Starlin's seventies work (and he took a long break before coming back), I did not really like The Infinity Gauntlet.

Based on GR comics chat, I have picked up some Jonathan Hickman Avengers, and will try to get into them.

The word of mouth on this movie is good, but I don't have definite plans to see it.

message 12: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Chad wrote: "Daniel wrote: "With Regards to Mike's comment, i saw a reviewer say that they could not believed that Gamora was "fridged" to move the story along? "

Definitely not. Gamora was the only thing in e..."

I enjoyed the movie but it was 'fridgeing'. It was the killing of a female character in a shocking to motivate and push the male character's development forward. Kyle of course is the source for the term and when Major Damage did that it changed Kyle as a character fundementally moving forward.

Gamora had that happen twice to her in a span of a 2.5 hour film: first with Quill pulling the trigger and then when Thanos threw her off the cliff. Both times it was to further the story of the male character. That's fridgeing.

As I said, enjoyed the film but it is what it is, worts and all :)

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Gordon Chad wrote: "Chris wrote: "I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU."

Interesting. Venom looks to me like the biggest piece o..."

We'll see, I have hope it'll turn out good. I'd much rather spend the ticket price to see something unique like Venom than pay to see another 2 hour trailer for the next set of Marvel movies.

But I do agree with you on Fantastic Four movies, in that none of them were particularly good!

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments Kate wrote: "In that way, the viewing experience was exactly like reading a big crossover event comic to me, with all the same pros and cons."
I think that's actually why I liked it so much. Comic book events are sort of dumb and sloppy, and this movie captured that experience perfectly. It didn't feel as "safe" or predictable as most other Marvel movies. Plus, all the stuff with Thor forging the Stormbreaker is EXACTLY what I want from a superhero movie: big and over the top without being too self-aware.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments Christopher wrote: "Coming from the other end, as a big fan of Starlin's seventies work (and he took a long break before coming back), I did not really like The Infinity Gauntlet.

Same here. I read Infinity Gauntlet a few years ago and thought it was really boring. But, I recently read Starlin's Warlock stuff, which I really enjoyed. Planning on revisiting Infinity Gauntlet to see if it clicks for me after reading more Starlin and seeing the movie.

message 16: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Chris wrote: "Chad wrote: "Chris wrote: "I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU."

Interesting. Venom looks to me like the bi..."

You might be the first person I've seen online who is excited about Venom. What's got you hyped? (sorry everyone, TANGENT!)

message 17: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited May 02, 2018 10:37AM) (new)

Chad wrote: "Chris wrote: "I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU."

Interesting. Venom looks to me like the biggest piece o..."

*hides his secret love for the original Fantastic Four movie in a corner*

message 18: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Points of interest about Infinity War:

Tom Holland's amazing death scene was wholly improvised. The kid has talent.

The majority of the characters that survived are the ones whose contracts are up at the end of whatever Avengers 4 is going to be called. That could be... very bad.

And once again, my favorite Avenger gets shafted by not even showing up. Poor Hawkeye.

message 19: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments Wayland wrote: "And once again, my favorite Avenger gets shafted by not even showing up. Poor Hawkeye."

Maybe he'll show up in Ant-Man and Wasp.

message 20: by Chad (new)

Chad | 820 comments If Avengers 4 had filmed a little later, it would have been a cool way to introduce the Fantastic Four to the MCU.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris Gordon Mike wrote: "Chris wrote: "Chad wrote: "Chris wrote: "I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU."

Interesting. Venom looks to ..."

Venom is my favorite villain/anti-hero in comics, so to see him get his own dedicated movie is something I can't wait for. I'm also excited to see how he is handled without Spider-Man being the first symbiote host; that in and of itself warrants seeing the movie if for no other reason than having an original take on the character. If they can't integrate Spidey in a Venom movie without compromising Venom's character like in Spider-Man 3, then I'm okay with just Venom for now. I'd prefer a true-to-comics take, but I'm open-minded to a new idea, too.

Also, I know many people excited about Venom, more so than upcoming MCU movies like Ant Man and Wasp, for example. But I will concede that Infinity War has garnered far more attention so far and will probably have more attention overall than Venom. But I feel like some of the people I know only go to see MCU/DCEU movies anymore out of obligation to do so, as if not going to see them would be proclaiming they hate Marvel or DC in their entirety. People always ask me when I tell them I don't want to see these movies anymore, "oh, you don't like comic books? You don't like Spider-Man or Superman or Iron Man?" Well, I still love these characters, I'm just bored of their movies is all, so I look to new movie ideas like Venom instead of the same old team-up/crossover/trailers that have been coming out the past 10 years.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Gordon Mike wrote: "Chad wrote: "Chris wrote: "I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU."

Interesting. Venom looks to me like the bi..."

You mean this one?

message 23: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Chris wrote: "Mike wrote: "Chad wrote: "Chris wrote: "I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, and Venom since they seem so unlike anything being spewed by the MCU and DCEU."

Interesting. Venom looks to m..."

You caught me....