Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City
This topic is about Seven Fallen Feathers
May/June 2018: Seven Fallen Feathers by Tanya Tagala

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amnesty (last edited May 16, 2018 11:43PM) (new) - added it

Amnesty Bookclub | 225 comments Mod
Hello again everyone,

May-June's selection is Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City by Tanya Talaga. A work of Canadian non-fiction, it is an award winning book about the deaths and lack of accountability surrounding Indigenous students in Thunder Bay.

The full discussion guide is available here, featuring an Introduction from the guest reader, Monia Mazigh, discussion questions, an interview with the author, and actions you can take.
http://www.amnestybookclub.ca/wp-cont...

What did you think of "Seven Fallen Feathers"? What did you like the most or find most challenging?

Jo-anne | 1 comments It is Tanya Talaga’s ability to weave the oppressive facts of the deliberate efforts to ensure cultural genocide of First Nations while honouring the Seven Fallen Feathers, seven First Nations students who lost their lives in Thunder Bay, that makes this book outstanding. With each book I read I become more aware of how initiatives achieved this. Finally accepting that the Indian Act was a form of apartheid, equally appalling as to what has happened in South Africa, shakes me to my core. I hope the loved ones of Jethro, Curran, Robyn, Paul, Reggie, Kyle and Jordan find some healing in having the stories of these young people shared with the world. Their stories have touched me and increase my commitment to ensuring that my vote will always go to an individual who would support the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and all the recommendations from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Miigwech Tanya for enduring the heartache this book must have created for you. I pledge to her to never forget her words.

message 3: by Amnesty (new) - added it

Jo-anne wrote: "It is Tanya Talaga’s ability to weave the oppressive facts of the deliberate efforts to ensure cultural genocide of First Nations while honouring the Seven Fallen Feathers, seven First Nations stud..."

Thank you, Jo-anne, for such an impassioned and thoughtful answer. You mention your vote, and one of the questions from the discussion guide (linked above) is "What more should the federal government be doing to support Indigenous communities across Canada?" Do you have any additional thoughts? You may also be interested in the action suggestions in the discussion guide too!

message 4: by Amnesty (new) - added it

Did this book make you think about or give you more insight about life for youth in Northern or remote communities? What more can the federal government do to support these communities?

What other thoughts did this book bring up for you?