YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Fawkes
This topic is about Fawkes
BUDDY READ: Historical Fiction > Fawkes by Nadine Brandes - Restarting 15th September 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 12277 comments Megan, this will be my next read. So I'll probably start a little early. :)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Starting this now

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Thomas Fawkes is turning to stone, and the only cure to the Stone Plague is to join his father’s plot to assassinate the king of England.

Silent wars leave the most carnage. The wars that are never declared, but are carried out in dark alleys with masks and hidden knives. Wars where color power alters the natural rhythm of 17th century London. And when the king calls for peace, no one listens until he finally calls for death.

But what if death finds him first?

Keepers think the Igniters caused the plague. Igniters think the Keepers did it. But all Thomas knows is that the Stone Plague infecting his eye is spreading. And if he doesn’t do something soon, he’ll be a lifeless statue. So when his Keeper father, Guy Fawkes, invites him to join the Gunpowder Plot—claiming it will put an end to the plague—Thomas is in.

The plan: use 36 barrels of gunpowder to blow up the Igniter King.

The problem: Doing so will destroy the family of the girl Thomas loves. But backing out of the plot will send his father and the other plotters to the gallows. To save one, Thomas will lose the other.

No matter Thomas’s choice, one thing is clear: once the decision is made and the color masks have been put on, there’s no turning back

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Goodreads summary

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments 1-7 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Chapter 20(view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 21 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 23 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 24 (view spoiler)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 12277 comments 30% done

(view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 27(view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 29 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 37 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 39 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 42 (view spoiler)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 12277 comments 41%

(view spoiler)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 12277 comments Amanda wrote: "End of 21 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 12277 comments 68%

(view spoiler)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 12277 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 5112 comments Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 5112 comments Chapter 37 (view spoiler)

message 23: by Megan (last edited Jun 30, 2018 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 5112 comments 80% (view spoiler)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 5112 comments 80% (view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85693 comments Mod
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date changed. Restarting August 5th 2018. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Little late on this,but is anyone else still planning to read it?

Karen Barber | 11318 comments ch1 - no idea what this colour test is, but to leave him like this seems cruel. No wonder Thomas thinks he has a reason to seek revenge on Guy Fawkes.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch6. Liking the blend of historical and fantasy. Curious to know more about the white light.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch12. Thomas has got himself caught up in something rather odd. Convinced he’ll try to harness the white light.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch22. Convinced his one-time friend is more interested in this plot than he ought to be.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch42. Is Dee really responsible for the spread of plague?

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Previous post was up to ch32. Now up to ch45. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Finished. Not quite what I expected. Review on home page. Guy Fawkes seemed to do what was expected by the end.

message 34: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy | 14687 comments Karen wrote: "Little late on this,but is anyone else still planning to read it?"

I'm hoping to start tomorrow!

message 35: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy | 14687 comments Ch. 15 (view spoiler)

message 36: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy | 14687 comments Ch. 23 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy | 14687 comments Ch. 36 (view spoiler)

message 38: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy | 14687 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 39: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48893 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting September 15th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 6070 comments I'm up to Chapter 13.

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 2225 comments Chapters 1-13:
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 2225 comments I don't like his dad. He doesn't seem like a good person. (view spoiler)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 6070 comments Leah wrote: "I don't like his dad. He doesn't seem like a good person. [spoilers removed]"

I hope he does too.

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 6070 comments I'm up to Chapter 25.

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 2225 comments Chapters 14-25:
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 2225 comments He is a jerk, and I didn't like it either.

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 6070 comments Leah wrote: "Chapters 14-25:
[spoilers removed]"

I was glad (view spoiler). I actually thought it would've happened much later.

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 6070 comments I'm up to Chapter 37.

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 2225 comments Chapters 26-37:
(view spoiler)

message 50: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 2225 comments I feel the same way.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fawkes (other topics)