The Challenge Factory discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
2018 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > LaLecture, Eunice & Denise - The Girl on the Train

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5934 comments Mod
LaLecture, Eunice & Denise - The Girl on the Train

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

Let me know when you want to start! :)

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments I‘m ready whenever you are :). I’m always reading multiple books at the same time so I can start anytime ^^.

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

Same here! I guess it's up to Eunice then. :)

Eunice | 347 comments Me three! But I’ll just suggest a date anyways. This Saturday?

message 6: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

Works for me!

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments Great :). We should probably divide the book into parts or something so we can better talk about it without spoiling anything, shouldn’t we? I’ve never participated in a buddy read here so I don’t know how that works :D.

message 8: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's really up to us, each group can decide what works best for them. :) We can also use the good old (view spoiler) method in addition to deciding e.g. a set number of chapters to read each day.
Looks like the chapters aren't all that long. They're not numbered, so we'll have to pay a bit more attention, but I'm sure it won't be a problem. :) Should we just pick a number of chapters to do for now and see how it goes? We can always speed up or slow down if needed.

Eunice | 347 comments Unless I’m mistaken, there are 38 chapters. We could do 9 each week and 11 chapters on the last week of the month?

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments I just counted chapters. This book is really weird as some chapters have twenty pages and others just one. I will just read the first nine, as suggested, I think.

message 11: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've finished the first 9 chapters.

Gotta say, I'm having trouble getting into it - I always have a hard time getting invested in a book in which I find every single one of the characters thoroughly unlikable, and so far that's the case for me with this one. At this moment, I just... really don't care very much about what happened to Megan, or what trouble Rachel is getting herself (further) into, etc. ...

What do you think so far?

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments Denise wrote: "I've finished the first 9 chapters.

Gotta say, I'm having trouble getting into it - I always have a hard time getting invested in a book in which I find every single one of the characters thorough..."

Same for me! Although it is explained how Rachel got where she is now I can’t really sympathise with her. Neither with Megan. I know I should maybe feel sorry for Rachel because of all she had to go though but I don’t. And I don’t get why she isn’t honest to people, especially (view spoiler)

message 13: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

Another 9 chapters done... most of these were fairly short, which is a good thing because I still don't care much about any of these people. I think if we didn't have a schedule planned out for this I'd just skim through the rest of the book and be done with it at this point...
(view spoiler)

Eunice | 347 comments Finished the first 18 chapters.

They make me annoyed sometimes. I mean, I slightly feel sorry for Rachel, but it’s been 2 years and she still calls her ex. And in Anna’s chapters, all she talks about is how Rachel is dangerous, like she’s going to come for her and her child soon enough. Yeah, she’s being a bit of a wacko, but Riley’s description of her seems right. Rachel’s also impulsive and doesn’t think, which is why she’s in this situation. (view spoiler) I understand why Anna thinks of Rachel like that, but I still think she’s too paranoid.

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments Now I finished the first 18 chapters to. I wonder if I counted right. Are 18 chapters about two thirds of the book :D? Anyway, I still don’t like any of the characters. I can’t say I know what it’s like to have an addiction but sometimes I just wanna scream at Rachel. Why doesn’t she even think about changing her life, going to rehab or something? I agree that Anna’s point of view doesn’t add many new things to the story. And I still don’t like Megan. We know now (view spoiler) Thankfully the book is rather easy to read so I’ll hopefully finish it soon.

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments Finished the next 9 chapters. Slowly the story is getting a bit more “thrilling” and we get more hints. (view spoiler)

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments Aaand finished.
(view spoiler)
So, have you finished reading? What did you think of the ending and the book in general?

message 18: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

I intended to continue on the weekend and then sunshine and the lure of the beach got in the way...
II'll try to get back to it today, should be able to finish today or tomorrow.

Charlie (tfortilney) | 9 comments Denise wrote: "I intended to continue on the weekend and then sunshine and the lure of the beach got in the way...
II'll try to get back to it today, should be able to finish today or tomorrow."

That’s understandable :D. I combined the beach and the book yesterday :D.

message 20: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

I went and finished the remainder in one go, I was about ready to be done with it.
I'm not an overly big fan of the way it all turned out, but I'm feeling rather lukewarm about the book in general, so I'm not exactly surprised at that. All those horrible people deserve each other if you ask me.
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Eunice (last edited May 30, 2018 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eunice | 347 comments The book was bad in a slightly good way. I liked it in general, but the characters were just messed up in the head, and I hated them all. I know for sure that I'm never reading this ever again.

And I agree that the ending came out of nowhere. It's like the author was leading us in circles and then suddenly just dropped a bomb on us. He seemed to be the only sane person in the story, and then it turns out he was the worst of them all.