2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > April 2018 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited May 09, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11419 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Jonetta
Melissa
Robin
Giulia
Michelle
Lauren
Laura
Veronica
Lieke

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

I got up to date in 4 series:
Cork O'Connor by William Kent Krueger
Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly
Romantic Suspense by Karen Rose
HORNET by Tonya Burrows

I started 3 new series:
DI Adam Fawley by Cara Hunter (will continue)
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (will continue)
Shattered Past by Cecy Robson (will continue)

I moved forward in 3 series:
Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson
Shore Leave Cafe by Abbie Williams
The Bourbon Kings by J. R. Ward

I had two 5-star reads: Two Kinds of Truth, which was almost perfectly written and featured both Harry and Mickey; and Reckless Honor, which had me adoring and admiring a character who I had previously written off (not my cuppa). Both books had a lot going for them and I LOVED the stories.

This was the first month in YEARS that I read all of the eBooks on my plan. I cannot adequately express what a good feeling it was to look up and see I was reading the last one. My goal is to create more realistic plans each month and I'm on the right track. And, all but one of the books I read and listened to were enjoyable experiences (that one was just dull).
Two Kinds of Truth (Harry Bosch, #20; Harry Bosch Universe, #30) by Michael Connelly Reckless Honor (Hornet, #5) by Tonya Burrows

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1441 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I started the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas and I will definitely be continuing.

I moved forward in 2 series: Maximum Ride Series (#6) by James Patterson and Will Trent series (#3) by Karin Slaughter.

No 5 stars this month, but I did really enjoy them all. I'm glad I started reading Karin Slaughter again and the Throne of Glass series is going to be fun and interesting.

I wish I had been able to read more than 3 books this month, but I enjoyed what I read.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

I’m glad you’re reading both series with us, Melissa (Will Trent in the J. D. Robb group). Also glad you enjoyed your books last month.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2604 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished two and got up to date on one series:
Evil Series - Allison Brennan
The Prince Trilogy - Elizabeth Hoyt
Harry Bosch - Michael Connelly

No

I moved forward in three series:
Gaslight Mysteries - Victoria Thompson
Fatal Series - Marie Force
Chicagoland Vampires - Chloe Neill

My only 5-Star book this month was Two Kinds of Truth by Michael Connelly.

I didn't finish too many books in April, but they were all pretty good except one.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

I loved Two Kinds of Truth, too! You had a good month no matter the small number of books read. Six series completed/up to date or advanced. That’s great.

message 7: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No

I moved forward in 4 series:
The Queen of Attolia
Murder on Washington Square
Theft of Swords
Half the World

I really enjoyed the second half of Theft of Swords, Avempartha. The adventure was a lot of fun, and it revealed lots of new information and new mysteries about the world and the characters, in particular my favourite, Royce.

A good month, and I managed to make progress in a few series.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Congrats, Giulia on a good reading month! Your 5-star book sounds like it was exciting.

message 9: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Jonetta wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?
This was the first month in YEARS that I read all of the eBooks on my plan. I cannot adequately express what a good feeling it was to look up and see I was reading the last one. My goal is to create more realistic plans each month and I'm on the right track. And, all but one of the books I read and listened to were enjoyable experiences (that one was just dull)."

Good job on completing all the books you planned Jonetta! It must really feel good to reach the end of the planned list!
I'm a total mood reader so I usually don't even attempt to follow a plan; I cannot even go to the library with a nice list of books to borrow without coming back home with a completely different bunch of titles :P

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

~ Giulia ~ wrote: "Good job on completing all the books you planned Jonetta! It must really feel good to reach the end of the planned list!
I'm a total mood reader so I usually don't even attempt to follow a plan; I cannot even go to the library with a nice list of books to borrow without coming back home with a completely different bunch of titles :P ..."

I used to be more spontaneous in my reading until I started series reading (and don’t get me started on all those review requests I accepted). I love series reading and don’t want to lose track so I create a plan with so much variety I’ll always find something to fit my mood. My reading is eclectic so I’ve a wide array of genres.

Fallback will always be the mystery genre though:) If I were to walk into a library or bookstore...I’d come out the same way you do but they’d all be from one genre. So...back to the plan😏

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments "Jonetta wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?
This was the first month in YEARS that I read all of the eBooks on my plan. I cannot adequately express what a good feeling it was to look..."

Congrats on following your plan. I always get drawn to reviews of friends.and don't even get me started on friends Strongly urging me to read something NOW!! But I also have so many that I'm carrying over from last year and previous months. I suppose if I can just get through the currents months then I'll be happy.

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

I’m still digging out of the hole I created while blogging but now I can see my way out. It feels great. My plan won’t need to be so rigidly followed pretty soon.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes 1

As per usual I not only started but got up to date in it as well. If the author writes more continue.
Perdition MC by Isabel Wroth
I also started Hell's Eight series by Sarah McCarty. I loved the first book and not to much the second book. I think I will continue with it but more on the back burner that top of the piles
Caine's Reckoning (Hell's Eight, #1) by Sarah McCarty Sam's Creed (Hell's Eight, #2) by Sarah McCarty

Yes I'm actually binge reading few series so I moved forward in:
Suncoast society by Tymber Dalton
Shalia's diary by Tracy St. John

Nothing really stood out. I'm just happy when nothing is bad.

5. Overall summary of your reading month
I think April was a month of chugging away at some series. Or. Just finally getting to books from previous months. Some interesting reads. Some dark read. Some new authors but best of all just reading made me happy.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Jonetta wrote: "I’m still digging out of the hole I created while blogging but now I can see my way out. It feels great. My plan won’t need to be so rigidly followed pretty soon."

Yippee🎉🎉

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "
1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes 1 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? As per usual I not only started but ..."

Ooh, you’re binge reading! I so love that. Congrats on your series progress, too.

I’ve heard such good things about the Hell’s Eight series. Glad you liked the first book and hopefully the rest of the series will be as good.

message 16: by Michelle (last edited May 03, 2018 06:44AM) (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Jonetta wrote: "Michelle wrote: "
1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes 1 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? As per usual I not only start..."

Thanx Jonetta. With Hell's eight I really like the Heroes biut the ladies take a bit of warming up to. At least with the second and third book. I've started the next one but it didn't hold my attention so hence the back burner comment. I really want to continue it but ja not right now

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4522 comments Mod
Jonetta wrote: "This was the first month in YEARS that I read all of the eBooks on my plan. I cannot adequately express what a good feeling it was to look up and see I was reading the last one. My goal is to create more realistic plans each month and I'm on the right track"

Congrats, Jonetta!
Making a doable plan is an excellent goal.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Melissa wrote: "I wish I had been able to read more than 3 books this month, but I enjoyed what I read. ."

Quality over quantity, Melissa.
As long as you have a good time, the # doesn't matter.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Robin wrote: "I didn't finish too many books in April, but they were all pretty good except one. .."

That's great, Robin.
Hopefully May will be as good if not better.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

~ Giulia ~ wrote: "A good month, and I managed to make progress in a few series."

Yes, you had a fantastic month.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Michelle wrote: "I think April was a month of chugging away at some series.."

Slow and steady :)

message 22: by Lauren (new)

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes
I finished the Forgotten Princesses series by Sophie Jordan. It was a fantastic end to the series.
How to Lose a Bride in One Night (Forgotten Princesses, #3) by Sophie Jordan

Yes, 5. I just can't help myself - I will continue them all
The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas Broken (LOST, #1) by Cynthia Eden The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1) by Sarah MacLean A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1) by Sherry Thomas Magnate (The Knickerbocker Club, #1) by Joanna Shupe

Yes, 6
Innocent in Death (In Death, #24) by J.D. Robb The Visitor (Graveyard Queen, #4) by Amanda Stevens Pitch Black (Black Cats, #2) by Leslie A. Kelly White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7) by Kim Harrison Fractured (Will Trent, #2) by Karin Slaughter Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris

Two 5 star reads this month - Innocent in Death and A Study in Scarlet Women. Both have excellent stories and characters.

5. Overall summary of your reading month? I read 15 books. Not having a long list of predetermined books is really working out well for me.

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "Overall summary of your reading month? I read 15 books. Not having a long list of predetermined books is really working out well for me. ..."

Great month, Lauren! I noticed your list was shorter. The psychology of that sure seems to make a difference. Congrats!

Your reviews had me add two new series to my shelf😏

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Your reviews had me add two new series to my shelf😏 ."

Glad I could contribute to your addiction :)

Yes, it is a reverse psychology now that I think of it, and it's perfect!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments 1.I finished 3 series
The Bitterroot Inn (Jamison Valley, #5) by Devney Perry Cowboy Take Me Away (Rough Riders, #16) by Lorelei James Runaway Groom (I Do, I Don't, #2) by Lauren Layne
Got current in two
Bad for You (Dirty Deeds, #3) by J. Daniels Undone By You (Chicago Rebels, #2.5) by Kate Meader

2. Hard to believe but I only started one new series. I will continue- it's about 3 feuding mafia families
The Marriage Contract (The O'Malleys, #1) by Katee Robert

3. Did I move along in any series- yes
Naked Edge (I-Team, #4) by Pamela Clare Wild Man (Dream Man, #2) by Kristen Ashley Hidden Away (KGI, #3) by Maya Banks

4. My standout books
Getaway Girl by Tessa Bailey I can't recommend this one enough!
! Runaway Groom (I Do, I Don't, #2) by Lauren Layne Wild Man (Dream Man, #2) by Kristen Ashley Bad for You (Dirty Deeds, #3) by J. Daniels Redneck Romeo (Rough Riders, #15) by Lorelei James The Outpost (Jamison Valley, #4) by Devney Perry one of my favorite reads of the year
The series is great. 5 book series is complete.

6. Great month- I finished 15 books and I am sticking with my yearly goal of staying more organized. When I start a series I am sticking with them. I finished the Rough Rider series which is 16 books. I really did enjoy all my reads this month. I had only one 3 star the rest 4-5.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "Great month- I finished 15 books and I am sticking with my yearly goal of staying more organized. When I start a series I am sticking with them. I finished the Rough Rider series which is 16 books. I really did enjoy all my reads this month. I had only one 3 star the rest 4-5. ..."

You finished Rough Riders?!!? I’ve been trying to get back to that series for a long time.

Congratulations on a fine month! You seem to have had a lot of fun reading.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "Great month- I finished 15 books and I am sticking with my yearly goal of staying more organized. When I start a series I am sticking with them. I finished the Rough Rider series whic..."

The later books in Rough Riders are great. Once I got back to it, it was easy to keep going. Also they are all on overdrive.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Romantic Suspense by Karen R..."

Great month for you. Getting current with Karen Rose is huge. Her books have gotten sooooo long.

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

I know! They’re 600+ pages.

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I completed two series (trilogies): Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown

Got up to date in one series: Murder Will Speak (Lilly Long #3) by Penny Richards

I started two new series and will continue with both. Kushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1) by Stuart MacBride

I moved forward in two series: Kushiel's Justice (Imriel's Trilogy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey Fortune Hunter (Miss Fortune Mystery #8) by Jana Deleon

I had three, four star books this month.

Kushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey - lovely writing, great characterization, epic scope

Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown (though I am considering upping Golden Son to five stars) - lots of action, political intrigue, betrayals, surprise twists

I had one, five star book this month.

Kushiel's Justice (Imriel's Trilogy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey - same as the first book in the trilogy, Kushiel's Scion...evocative writing and just a great personal journey by the main character

It was a light month for me since I only got around to reading ten book but I really enjoyed most of the books I read.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Laura wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "Great month- I finished 15 books and I am sticking with my yearly goal of staying more organized. When I start a series I am sticking with them. I finished the Rough R..."

I started this series years ago and it on my list to finish this year. But I think I'll have to start from the beginning as it been so long since I read them. Last time I read them out of sequence as well.

message 32: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Veronica wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I completed two series (trilogies): Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown

Got up to date in one serie..."

You had a great month Veronica! Kushiel's books are usually pretty thick so even reading 10 books is not an easy feat

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "It was a light month for me since I only got around to reading ten book but I really enjoyed most of the books I read...."

Doesn’t seem like a light month. You got a lot accomplished so kudos!

I loved Red Rising but still have the third book to read. But, I’m chicken.

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments ~ Giulia ~ wrote: "You had a great month Veronica! Kushiel's books are usually pretty thick so even reading 10 books is not an easy feat ."

Oddly enough, as long as the books are they still manage to feel like fast reads to me.

On another topic, did you by any chance used to be on any of the online fan boards for the tv show "Lost" a few years ago, like The Fuselage (I think that's what it was called)?

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Jonetta wrote: "I loved Red Rising but still have the third book to read. But, I’m chicken."

No spoilers but there's nothing as bad as the ending for Golden Son, lol.

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Romantic Suspense by Karen R..."

You made some great progress last month. Realistic plans FTW!!

message 37: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

I started the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. M..."

Three books is still three books. :-)

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished two and got up to date on one series:
Evil Series - Allison Brennan
The Prince Trilogy - Elizabeth Hoyt
Harry Bosch - ..."

If all the books you read were pretty good ones then it sounds like a good month to me, regardless of the quantity.

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "No spoilers but there's nothing as bad as the ending for Golden Son, lol..."

Okay, that helps.

message 40: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments ~ Giulia ~ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No

3. Did you move forward in any series? How man..."

You've got some willpower to be able to resist starting new series. That's always my downfall, lol.

Glad you're enjoying the Riyria books. They're on my list to try.

message 41: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Veronica wrote: "On another topic, did you by any chance used to be on any of the online fan boards for the tv show "Lost" a few years ago, like The Fuselage (I think that's what it was called)?"

Nope. I'm afraid I haven't even watched a single episode of Lost ^^"

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "You made some great progress last month. Realistic plans FTW!!..."

I had no idea how those loaded plans were impacting my reading happiness.

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Michelle wrote: "

Yes 1

As per usual I not only started but ..."

I tend towards binge reading myself when I like the first book.

message 44: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes
I finished the Forgotten Princesses series by Sophie Jordan. It was a fantastic end to the series.
[bookcover:How to Lose a ..."

You always make such great progress with your series. I want to be you when I grow up. :-)

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Laura wrote: "1.I finished 3 series
The Bitterroot Inn (Jamison Valley, #5) by Devney PerryCowboy Take Me Away (Rough Riders, #16) by Lorelei JamesRunaway Groom (I Do, I Don't, #2) by Lauren Layne
Got current in two
Bad for You (Dirty Deeds, #3) by J. Daniels[bookcove..."

Great job sticking to your goals!

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Veronica wrote: "Michelle wrote: "

Yes 1

As per usual I not onl..."

I kept binge reading new series I started that I just had to add that category to my reading plan. And this month I've started with a few that are all 100or so pages long.

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Veronica wrote: "You always make such great progress with your series. I want to be you when I grow up. :-) "

Thanks, Veronica. I'm as shocked as you are when it happens ;)

message 48: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1211 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

Yes, 5 new series didn't realise it was that many until now :) And I will continue them all.
Pogingen iets van het leven te maken: Het geheime dagboek van Hendrik Groen, 83¼ jaar by Hendrik Groen
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas
Cirkeln by Mats Strandberg and Sara Bergmark Elfgren
Kaffe med rån by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg

Only one: Lola & de boy next door by Stephanie Perkins

No 5 star books, but I enjoyed most of my books.

Another nice month, I read 10 book. I gave one book 1 star (not my thing), two books 3 stars and all the rest I gave 4 stars :)

Pogingen iets van het leven te maken Het geheime dagboek van Hendrik Groen, 83¼ jaar by Hendrik Groen Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas Cirkeln (Engelsfors, #1) by Mats Strandberg Kaffe med rån by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg Lola & de boy next door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2) by Stephanie Perkins

message 49: by Jonetta (new)

Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

Yes, 5 new series didn't realise it was that many ..."

Congrats on having an enjoyable reading month! Isn’t it funny how we can unwittingly slide into a new series?