Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2018-05 - Keeper discussion thread

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
Elvenn has picked Keepers as our shelf for the month of May. I hope everyone had a good time perusing the list. I've been thinking about what makes a Keeper, and what books I might put on the list. So - here are the questions I pose for the month:

After looking at the list, what criteria do you think people used to class a book as a Keeper?

What about you? What would make a book a "keeper" to you? What criteria would you use?

Do you have to own a book for it to be a "keeper"?

What is your short list of "keepers"?

As always, I hope you all have fun discussing these questions. :)

Happy reading!

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 99 comments 1. I guess it's a book they plan to re-read or love so much they feel comforted by owning a copy.

2. I only keep books if they are my absolute favorites or for decorative quality.

3. I think that's the point.

4. I have too many but most of them are collections of stories.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
I agree, Jamie. I think that the books on the lists are ones that they want to own a copy, or re-read at some point. For me, I have several reasons that would qualify a book as a keeper. Some are favorites of mine, like Little Women or Rebecca. Others I are books that have some sort of nostalgia value, like my vintage copy of Five Little Peppers and How They Grew or Little House on the Prairie. An still others are part of a set which I want to own all of, like the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon or The Accursed Kings Series Books by Maurice Druon. And lastly, there are my history books about royalty like The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Nicholas and Alexandra, and the Wolf Hall series.

Having said all of that, I can see myself putting a book on a "keeper" list even though I do not own it or plan to own it if it is a book that really moved me or that I may want to read again sometime.

As for my list - I could go on and on, as I own a LOT of books, but I think you all will get the idea from my answer above.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 99 comments Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "I agree, Jamie. I think that the books on the lists are ones that they want to own a copy, or re-read at some point. For me, I have several reasons that would qualify a book as a keeper. Some are f..."

Little Women is my #1 Keeper as well! It's my favorite book. I like always having a copy, it's comforting.

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1431 comments 1. I think people list as "keepers" books they want to own and not part with, books they want to read over and over again or that they just loved and want to have a copy on their bookshelves.

2. I don't know that I have any keepers. I've been a bookcrosser for almost 10 years now, and I feel that books shouldn't be left to dust on the shelves, on the contrary I like giving them new life by setting them free, swapping them, giving them as presents... That said, I may want to keep some books for a while, before parting with them. But I'm known to not even have kept my favorite books - sometimes I may want to give my copy of my favorite book to a special person in my life.

3. I agree with both Jamie and Lyn on this one. I think a keeper is something you wish to keep, but at the same time I think I might shelve a book as "keepers" if I really loved it and wanted to read it again at some point. Something like a "favorites" shelf.

4. See #2. I don't really have keepers. But I do have favorites :)

message 6: by Karin (last edited May 07, 2018 10:14AM) (new)

Karin | 811 comments I have been so very busy!!!!! I am 4 or 5 books behind in reviews and haven't even posted my review for last month's Pick a Shelf! Ideally I'll have time to check that list, but we have 8 performances this month, 6 with my son, plus everything else (my son is a graduating high school senior who will be going to Boston Conservatory next year).

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 80 comments I normally do not post in the reviews or discussion unless they are good. The Snowman by Jo Nesbo was good. Posted a small review in the reviews. Just want you all to know, if you want a good suspense, pick up this book ASAP.

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin | 811 comments Paige wrote: "I normally do not post in the reviews or discussion unless they are good. The Snowman by Jo Nesbo was good. Posted a small review in the reviews. Just want you all to know, if you want a good suspe..."

I have this book but keep putting it off as I think it might be too graphic for me.