What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Science Fiction, possibly YA book about 3 corporate clans racing to explore a counter-earth (1980-ish)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (verminous) | 7 comments I remember there were approximately 3 corporate "clans" running Earth in the future, each with their own rules and technology. One was definitely a medical-centric group and they used "Venom Eggs" as their main weapon, imaging a gas grenade that's deadly, I think it could cause diseases to run amok in those that breathed it, but I may be wrong.
Another clan had a weapon that resembled a spring that they would throw at the enemy and it would bind and cut into them.

I can't remember the specific weaponry of the third clan/corporation, but I think the protagonist belonged to it.

Protagonist may have been female and was young, late teens. All of the opposing operative have been trained since birth in the ways of their clan.

Somehow a counter-earth on the opposite side of the sun is discovered and a race to claim it and it's resources is the basis of the book.

There may have been some mild romance involved between protagonist and member of opposite sex from the counter-earth.

I read it in the early 80's, either 81 or 82 and I think it was new then, as it came from a "new" paperbacks rack at the local library. So perhaps a hardback was released a few years earlier?

I'm not sure about the YA heading since it wasn't a real category in those days but it feels like it would be if published today.

That's all I can recall.

message 2: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (verminous) | 7 comments I was reading a lot of Asimov, Heinlein and Norton in those days and this felt a lot like their "juveniles" but I'm pretty sure it wasn't any of them.

message 3: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (verminous) | 7 comments Still unable to find any info on this book. I remember that I was fascinated by the idea of the guild/clan/corporation specific weaponry. I'd like to read it again to see if there were more examples than the two I specifically remember, the eggs and the springs.

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:03AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Here's a list of "counter-earth" planets but I don't see any that fit your description (as far as I can tell; I can't read Swedish). It wouldn't be any of the Gor series by John Norman; no one could mistake those for YA.

I searched for "venom egg" in WorldCat, Google Books and Internet Archive and couldn't find anything (fiction, anyway). Are you sure it was that precise term or could it have been something similar?

message 5: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (verminous) | 7 comments I've done all of those searches and more, even researched the Swedish one because it fit the time and at least some of the subject matter, but it wasn't it. I didn't resort to this forum until I had exhausted my own resources. At this point I'm just hoping someone recalls it. It certainly isn't Gor, LoL.

message 6: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (verminous) | 7 comments Still looking

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Was the term "clan" used?

message 8: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (verminous) | 7 comments I don't think it actually was, it was more like the world had divided into 3 different corporate entities, but they felt "clannish". The description of the home world was very cyberpunk in feel, but this was before that term really caught on.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
A long shot - Frontera by Lewis Shiner?

message 10: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (verminous) | 7 comments While it hits some of the points, and I'm surprised I haven't ever heard of this book, it was published too late, as I definitely read the book in question in 81 or 82, when I was a sophomore or junior in HS. I picked it up on the new paperbacks rack in the local library. By 84 I was already in the Navy and buying my own books.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll see if I can find that and read it.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
C Patrick, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Frontera (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Norman (other topics)
Lewis Shiner (other topics)