Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Theological Questions > Are you a Sabbath law keeper? Really?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Exodus 31:14 - "Ye shall KEEP the SABBATH therefore; for IT IS HOLY unto you: EVERY ONE that defileth it SHALL SURELY BE PUT TO DEATH ..."

Observations:
* Keep the Sabbath
* It is Holy
* Put to DEATH EVERY ONE who violates the Sabbath

How is your Sabbath Keeping? Do you keep ALL the Sabbath Law... or just the parts you like ?

MANY FREE Christian resources: www.Christ-like.net

message 2: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 63 comments Jesus worked on the Sabbath.

message 3: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Smith (nicenenerd) I do not observe the Sabbath any more than I offer animal sacrifices or expect Gentiles to be circumcised.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Caleb wrote: "I do not observe the Sabbath any more than I offer animal sacrifices or expect Gentiles to be circumcised."

AMEN!

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments David wrote: "Jesus worked on the Sabbath."

AMEN!

message 6: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 63 comments Wait, what happened to my comment? mmm Robert doesn't like the gospel....?

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments David wrote: "Wait, what happened to my comment? mmm Robert doesn't like the gospel....?"

My response: What is the Gospel declared in the Bible?

message 8: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 63 comments Your question does not make grammatical sense.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments David wrote: "Your question does not make grammatical sense."

What must a person do to be saved?

What is the message of the Gospel?

What Gospel did all post-resurrection believers preach?

What is the Gospel that is declared (proclaimed) in the Bible?

I hope this clarifies the question.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Drumheller | 37 comments I have been reading Ezekiel chapters 40 through 48 and the Sabbath will be kept during the Kingdom Age along with sacrifices for sin. This is truly amazing.

message 11: by Connor (new)

Connor Longaphie I believe in holding the Lord's Day as the Christian sabbath. I believe that the day is to be devoted entirely to the public and private worship of God. I believe that the duty of civil governments is to uphold the moral law which includes the keeping of the sabbath. Whether that punishment is death I would say is up to the government and general equity as long as pardon for repentance is given. Though historically most states that upheld the establishment principle would only fine sabbath breakers.

message 12: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Smith (nicenenerd) Robert wrote: "I have been reading Ezekiel chapters 40 through 48 and the Sabbath will be kept during the Kingdom Age along with sacrifices for sin. This is truly amazing."

No, that is completely unacceptable and would violate everything the Bible teaches about what Jesus has accomplished. Nothing in Ezekiel is about what you seem to think it is about.

message 13: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Smith (nicenenerd) Connor wrote: "I believe in holding the Lord's Day as the Christian sabbath. I believe that the day is to be devoted entirely to the public and private worship of God. I believe that the duty of civil governments..."

Why would you believe that the Sabbath is part of the moral law?

message 14: by Connor (new)

Connor Longaphie The moral Law is AKA the decalogue. Commandment number 4 according to the protestant numeration of the decalogue is to keep the sabbath holy. To do work on 6 days and rest on the 7th. I'm working from a reformed covenant framework (westminster federalism) and of course believe that the moral law is still binding on the conscience of believers.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Connor wrote: "I'm working from a reformed covenant framework (westminster federalism) and of course believe that the moral law is still binding on the conscience of believers..."

Exodus 31:14 - "Ye shall KEEP the SABBATH therefore; for IT IS HOLY unto you: EVERY ONE that defileth it SHALL SURELY BE PUT TO DEATH ..."

I am curious, since you believe the Sabbath Law is still binding on believers, when was the last time you surely put a Sabbath violator to death ?

message 16: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 39 comments Caleb wrote: "Robert wrote: "I have been reading Ezekiel chapters 40 through 48 and the Sabbath will be kept during the Kingdom Age along with sacrifices for sin. This is truly amazing."

No, that is completely ..."

Caleb, Ezekiel chapters 40-44 include specific sacrifices (such as is found in Ezekiel 43:18-27) that Israel is to perform. Even the Temple is to be rebuilt which would, technically, not be necessary since the veil was torn in two granting all believers direct access to the Lord.

Since the conditions under which all of this have not yet been met, the consensus is this is yet future; hence it must be during the Millennial reign of Christ. Most scholars believe the purpose of the sacrifices mentioned in Ezekiel 40-44 are as a memorial, not as an atonement. They do not and cannot be a substitute for Christ's death on the cross. I agree with you on that point.

Having said that, Ezekiel is difficult to understand, and there is much disagreement on when all this is suppose to happen. But the fact is it hasn't happened yet, which is why it happening in the Millenial makes the most sense.

message 17: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Smith (nicenenerd) Tyrone wrote: "Caleb wrote: "Robert wrote: "I have been reading Ezekiel chapters 40 through 48 and the Sabbath will be kept during the Kingdom Age along with sacrifices for sin. This is truly amazing."

No, that ..."

Ezekiel 40-44 are fulfilled in Christ, the outpouring of the Spirit, and the formation of the Church. It will not receive a fulfillment in the literal sense you describe. And your view isn't exactly a consensus, as amillennial and postmillennial scholars together probably outnumber premillenials.

message 18: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 39 comments Caleb wrote: "Tyrone wrote: "Caleb wrote: "Robert wrote: "I have been reading Ezekiel chapters 40 through 48 and the Sabbath will be kept during the Kingdom Age along with sacrifices for sin. This is truly amazi..."

I don't see how all of those chapters are fulfilled in Christ considering the allocation of the Promise Land among other things, but I recognize anyone's right to view it differently. Statistically, I'd love to know how many amillennial and post millennial scholars contrast with the number of premillennialist. (Even though we're a bit off-topic, but hopefully no harm done).

message 19: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Smith (nicenenerd) Tyrone wrote: "Caleb wrote: "Tyrone wrote: "Caleb wrote: "Robert wrote: "I have been reading Ezekiel chapters 40 through 48 and the Sabbath will be kept during the Kingdom Age along with sacrifices for sin. This ..."

The description, like most eschatological prophecy in the Bible, is thoroughly symbolic. The symbolic meaning of the tribal allotments could be a very rich and interesting topic, but I'm not ready for that.

The most common position in the history of the Church has been amillennialism, which completely dominated for 1000 years after Augustine. It is still the majority view of Catholics, the Orthodox, Lutherans, and the classically Reformed. Premillennialism today is (mostly) confined to evangelical free church traditions.