2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > July Group Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Jun 05, 2018 06:57AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for July and the theme is Light!

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by May 25th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) | 281 comments I'm going to nominate Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (which I believe is known as The Golden Compass in the US).

The connection is possible obvious but - not only is it in the title, having read the first couple of chapters, something seen in an unusual light (mostly via a camera reflecting light) a significant reason for Lyra going on the main adventure of the book. (Note: I read the first couple of chapters quite a while ago, so I can't remember the exact specifics, but there's definitely light involved!)

message 3: by Jenn (last edited May 04, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Jenn I nominate The Power by Naomi Alderman. We use power to generate light, so that's the connection to the theme. I've been looking forward to reading this one since it came out last year.

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments I second Northern Lights

message 5: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4226 comments I am in doubt! I have a hard time choosing between Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (because Fireflies produce light) and The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (as it contains the word Light).

But I can only nominate one, so I will nominate Firefly Lane .

Everyone, feel free to nominate the other book if you want to :P

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 40 comments I would like to nominate Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig.

A bit of a stretch but the moon is our source of light at night so that is my connection to the theme.

message 7: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 69 comments I nominate The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber -- fire being the original source of light.

message 8: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments I will second Firefly Lane!

message 9: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments Melanie wrote: "I would like to nominate Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig.

A bit of a stretch but the moon is our source of light at night so that is my connection to the theme."

Loose is fine :D

message 10: by Michelle (last edited May 10, 2018 05:22AM) (new)

Michelle (michellebilodeau) | 28 comments I'm nominating Into the Light By Aleatha Romig

Sara Adams awakes blind, unable to remember the most basic details of her life, but her darkness seems a blessing when she discovers the terrors of The Light.

Thanks!!!

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 40 comments Lulu wrote: "I'm going to nominate Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (which I believe is known as The Golden Compass in the US).

The connection is possible obvious but - not only is it in the titl..."

I think the group already read The Golden Compass.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I nominate The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

(Sun = Light) ;-)

message 13: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments Melanie wrote: "Lulu wrote: "I'm going to nominate Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (which I believe is known as The Golden Compass in the US).

The connection is possible obvious but - not only is i..."

Oh that's true, thanks for reminding! I had totally forgotten :S

message 14: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I would like to nominate Little Fires Everywhere.

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire  (claire6452) | 713 comments I was just coming in to nominate Little Fires Everywhere, so I'll second it!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3285 comments I so wanted to nominate The Light of the Fireflies but I just don't see it appealing to all that many so that it makes sense as a group read. I do still recommend it though if you're into dark (and I do mean DARK) suspense thrillers.

Instead, I wish to nominate: Half of a Yellow Sun

message 17: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6944 comments Claire wrote: "I was just coming in to nominate Little Fires Everywhere, so I'll second it!"

So funny, me three, so I'll join in on the nomination!

message 18: by Joe (new)

message 19: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments So sorry the poll is superlate. I lost internet a week ago. Hope to get it back today. I will extend it a bit so everyone has time to vote!

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I really want to read Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao. The title would obviously fit well for light with the burn and brighter, plus the cover is pretty stellar and is all flames Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao

message 21: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm nominating Into the Light By Aleatha Romig

Sara Adams awakes blind, unable to remember the most basic details of her life, but her darkness seems a blessing when she discovers ..."

That was a great read

message 22: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 248 comments I'll second The Power.

message 23: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments The poll is finally up!! So sorry it's late this month. We finally have our internet back and I have extended the poll a few days to make sure everyone has time to vote.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/5...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.