Play Book Tag discussion

April 2018: Strong Women > The Fifth Season - Jemisin - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited May 01, 2018 11:49AM) (new)

Jgrace | 3105 comments Since the female protagonist of this story is someone who can cause earthquakes, the book belongs in this thread. I didn't want to say too much in the review because even naming her is a bit of a spoiler.

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin

The Fifth Season - Jemisin
Audio performance by Robin Miles
4 stars

On a planet with an unstable land mass, there is a race of people who can initiate and control massive geological events. These extremely powerful people are the very ones who are exploited and enslaved. This is not a happy combination.

“For all those who have to fight for the respect that everyone else is given without question.”

That dedication should have given me a clue. This book is so full of anger. It’s inventive. It feels like old mythology. It has many of the tropes of a coming of age adventure fantasy. But, it’s so very different from anything else that I’ve read. And, it’s so very full of anger.

There are three storylines which come together at the end of the book, just before the ‘to be continued’ tagline. The ever changing perspective made the audiobook a little hard to follow although Robin Miles’ performance was excellent. I found it easier to put the story pieces together reading a text copy which included a glossary of terms and background history of this fantasy world. The world building is impressive. The characters are complex. The story captured my attention and kept me in some suspense. It’s disturbing; it made me uncomfortable. It was not a happy book.

I would like to know what happens to these characters. I will probably read the next book, but I will need something lighter and happier before I do.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Excellent distillation of the responses most readers would come to. Am happy how each volume has enough closure for each to be enjoyed in itself. Yes, mysteries of the obelisks and stone-eaters persist, but not enough to drive one to binge reading. Good to put some lighter reads in between.