Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Nominations & Polls > June Nominations

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 757 comments Mod
This month's categories are Sci-Fi & Fantasy and Love

so let's get nominating... :o)

since I'd already read the last SFF winner, I'll start the ball rolling by nominating TH White's The Sword in the Stone
The Sword in the Stone (The Once and Future King, #1) by T.H. White

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments For Sci-Fi, I nominate Camp Concentrationby Thomas M. Disch

For Love, I nominate More Die of Heartbreak by Saul Bellow

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 245 comments Bryan wrote: "For Sci-Fi, I nominate Camp Concentrationby Thomas M. Disch

For Love, I nominate More Die of Heartbreak by Saul Bellow"

I could second both of those, Bryan.

Not sure whether I have Camp Concentration or not. I remember wanting to get it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

For Sci-Fi & Fanstay I’d like to nominate: Kindred by Octavia E. Butler.

For Love: Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments For love, I will nominate Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I am happy with all the sci fi nominations so I won't suggest one for that category (nicely balancing Darren, who didn't suggest one for the Love category, so now we have 3 for each).

message 6: by Fay (new)

Fay Roberts | 363 comments I’m happy with all the choices and don’t feel the need to nominate any others

message 7: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 162 comments Fay wrote: "I’m happy with all the choices and don’t feel the need to nominate any others" I feel the same way.

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 245 comments Whether or not it wins (and therefore slightly OT for this thread), I picked up the Kindle edition of Camp Concentration.

I think two years ago, when I was looking for it, I didn't see it. Or else, my tolerance for 'medium priced' Kindle books has gone up.

message 9: by Fay (new)

Fay Roberts | 363 comments @Christopher you inspired me to look and there’s a used copy on Amazon UK for 56p!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Camp Concentration is very short--I found a paperback copy not long ago, and it is thin, thin, thin.

message 11: by Christopher (last edited May 05, 2018 07:59AM) (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 245 comments Bryan wrote: "Camp Concentration is very short--I found a paperback copy not long ago, and it is thin, thin, thin."

"A great book is a great evil"- Lessing

eta: Hmm. Looks like this proverb goes back further than Lessing:

http://essays.quotidiana.org/addison/...

We do not expect to meet with any thing in a bulky Volume, till after some heavy Preamble, and several Words of Course, to prepare the Reader for what follows: Nay, Authors have established it as a kind of Rule, that a Man ought to be dull sometimes; as the most severe Reader makes Allowances for many Rests and Nodding-places in a Voluminous Writer. This gave Occasion to the famous Greek Proverb which I have chosen for my Motto, That a great Book is a great Evil.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) For sci-fi - Consider Phlebas
For love - The Graduate

message 13: by Darren (last edited May 05, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

ohhh Consider Phlebas is a candidate for my most re-read book!
Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks
I read Banks' Culture series more or less on a continual loop, Excession last year, Player of Games v. shortly and Inversions after that...

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I've never started the Culture series so I need an excuse to start!!

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee I'd like to nominate Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for Science Fiction/Fantasy because it's been sitting on my shelf for a long time unread. And I think My Ántonia for the Love category.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Renee wrote: "I'd like to nominate Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for Science Fiction/Fantasy because it's been sitting on my shelf for a long time unread. And I think My Ántonia f..."

I loved both those books!

message 17: by Darren (new)

ok so we have 5 luvverly nominations in each category:

Sci-Fi & Fantasy:
The Sword in the Stone
Camp Concentration
Kindred
Consider Phlebas
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Love:
More Die of Heartbreak
Anna Karenina
Zorba the Greek
The Graduate
My Ántonia

I'll close nominations on Thursday (10th) so last call if you don't fancy any of the above...

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 467 comments Okay, I've been away from this group for an age. Even though I've not been reading the nominations, I have been adding them to my To Be Read list.

So I'm going to nominate for June, to get me to join in again.

Love: Crome Yellow, by Aldous Huxley (it's been on my shelf for decades and I've never got round to it.

SF: The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham.

message 19: by Darren (new)

ok we'll call that nominations closed.

I will put up Polls tomorrow...

message 20: by Darren (new)

the Polls seem to be going well - we have 21 votes on one of them!

(the eagle-eyed may spot that a Poll from February 2016(!) is now at the top of the poll list - it was one that had never been closed and was consequently continuing to be featured on the group home page - so I closed it, but can't stop it sitting at the top (doh!) - I could just delete it, but want to retain it for historical value)

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Darren wrote: "the Polls seem to be going well - we have 21 votes on one of them!

(the eagle-eyed may spot that a Poll from February 2016(!) is now at the top of the poll list - it was one that had never been cl..."

You can get it off the top by unchecking the "feature this poll" (or some such) box, I believe.

message 22: by Darren (new)

Thanks Leslie - that seems to've done the trick! :o)

message 23: by Darren (new)

just to confirm that out June winners are:

Sci-Fi & Fantasy: Kindred

Love: Zorba the Greek

I will definitely be reading Zorba, but not sure if I will get to Kindred...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Yippee! A book I nominated has won! *Doing my happy dance* :o)

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Kindred is brilliant

message 26: by Darren (new)

ok June books/discussion threads are up and running! :oD