What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical Romance - set in England, a love story between a beautiful maid of and the spoilt landowners son. The maid is very talented at designing clothes and I believe the wealthy son was named something like Edgar. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bhakthini (new)

Bhakthini A | 1 comments HISTORICAL BRITISH ROMANCE - set somewhere in historical England this is a love story between a beautiful talented servant/maid of the house and the spoilt son of the wealthy owner. The maid is very talented at designing clothes and I believe the wealthy son of the landowner was named something like Edgar or Ethan.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

The spoilt wealthy son is an arrogant and cruel man used to getting his. He approaches and almost forces himself onto the beautiful maid while she is working at his family’s home.
I can’t remember why but she eventually leaves her position as maid and starts a business designing and making clothes, which she is very successful at.
In the meantime the spoilt son (Edgar/Ethan) goes to war and is scarred and changed by what he sees and comes back a changed man.

They come across each other’s paths in a public place like a park or a bench by the beach, I can’t remember. They then slowly begin to get to know each other despite their bad beginning, as she sees he is a changed man.

The author writes in a similar style to Audrey Howard but I’m pretty sure it’s not Audrey Howard.

I also thought I remembered the name of the book as being something similar to “Rags To Riches” but it’s not coming up when I search it and I could be totally wrong re: the title!!

I read this book at least a good 10-15 years ago so it’s not new.

Thanks for the help, not knowing the title is really bugging me!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments From Rags to Riches maybe? I can't find plot or cover, but it has these subjects:
Poor women -- England -- Fiction.
Women peasants -- England -- Fiction.
Aristocracy (Social class) -- England -- Fiction.
on worldcat.org

message 3: by AdoraBelle42 (new)

AdoraBelle42 | 43 comments From memory this sounded similar to A Woman of Substance, but after rereading a plot description it seems less likely...

message 4: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Shakespeare | 7 comments I'd love to read this! If you find the title I'd love to know what it is!