Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Paranormal Romance > What is your favorite PNR series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 509 comments Mod
Is there a paranormal romance or urban fantasy series out there that you can read over and over again?

What is it, do you think, that makes that series so attractive to you?

Is it the characters? The detailed writing? The relationships? The suspense?

message 2: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 30 comments Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series. I've re-read the whole thing several times.

I've also re-read Jennifer Ashley's Pride Mates series several times.

And Kit Rocha's Beyond series (more post-apoc than PNR/UF) has sucked me in more than once.

message 3: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited May 03, 2018 05:38AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) My very favorite 'I'm going to re-read these because I can't wait to get back into their worlds' are:

Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop and Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

I can tell you exactly why: Each series has a plethora of well-developed, changeable, learning characters that interact and affect each other. Both series are immersive and seem to unfold naturally.

There is no 'Oh, this feels rushed' or feeling like the story is dumbed down for the reader. They expect you to keep up and hang on for the ride. My favorite part of both series is that you follow so many different avenues of story, you really don't know how all of them will tie up...until they do or really, really don't.

I suppose, lastly, the romances in both stories are unique. On one hand, The Others series is an almost non-romance except not really. I love that I can describe it like that because it's different. With Rachel Morgan, however, she develops several different, natural romances throughout the series instead of a slow-burn or complete insta-love with her HEA from page one. Both were refreshing.

Them's my thoughts!

message 4: by Caelena (new)

Caelena Fey (caelenabooktopia) | 8 comments October Daye series by seanan mcguire
I really love the world building in this series, every character seems real!!
Since Sarah J Maas books, I've become obsessed with Fae. I guess that's what lead me to read October Daye series, even though October Daye was published first.

message 5: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 468 comments Black Dagger or Dark Hunter or Kate Daniels or Mercy Thompson, the list goes on!!

message 6: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) Caelena wrote: "October Daye series by seanan mcguire
I really love the world building in this series, every character seems real!!
Since Sarah J Maas books, I've become obsessed with Fae. I guess that's what lea..."

I second both of those choices...I've never re-read any of the series myself, but I blasted through the Toby Daye books in two months and I'm catching up on all things Sarah J Maas right now. I forsee both being added to my own list. :)

message 7: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments UF series
Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson, both have great characters and you can picture yourself in the world. I think Kate has a bit more humor though. Also the main characters are very smart/quick.
I've reread these series a number of times.

PNR
Psy-changeling and Immortals After Dark.
I love that the Psy-C have become more complex and have an overarc yet the main couple get their HEA.
IAD has a lot of humor in some of the books.
Psy-C I tend to reread through in order, stopping to take breaks. Whereas I can pick up my favorites of the IAD and read them when I need a quick good read. I did a series read along in a group and know that certain ones will probably never get reread again.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise Cypress | 5 comments So many great suggestions to add to my TBR!

message 9: by MG (last edited Jun 07, 2018 06:13PM) (new)

MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger* (martrob) | 11 comments This series has been recommended to me a few times now and has been on my tbr list for awhile!! I have a couple other books in the series when they were on sale, but this is the first time I've seen book 1 on sale, so if others have it on their lists, just passing the deal along :)

Dragon Bound (Thea Harrison's 1st book in the Elder Races series) is on sale for $1.99 (w/ a new cover) -->
Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

message 10: by MG (last edited Jun 07, 2018 06:25PM) (new)

MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger* (martrob) | 11 comments I enjoy the Dark series by Christine Feehan.... It starts with this one (on sale right now - be sure to get author's cut version -- linked to it on Amazon below) --> Dark Prince (Dark, #1) by Christine Feehan
https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Prince-Au...

There are 25+ books in the series at this point, and some are better than others, but her first ones will always be my re-reads. Great characters, interesting story lines, and fated mates! The 2nd one is also on sale Dark Desire (Dark, #2) by Christine Feehan :)
https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Desire-Ca...

I saw someone mention the Black Dagger Brotherhood series above (by JR Ward - this is the first book --> Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward )
The Midnight Breed series is similar to BDB and good as well (first book --> Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian )

The first book in the Fae Chronicles series is free right now ---> Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #1) by Amelia Hutchins This one was an unexpected like for me but it sucked me in right away. The H is a major jerk (understatement), but he evolves over the series, and just when you think you have something figured out, there's always a twist!

I also recently discovered this series (first book on sale for $0.99 right now) --> Pure Healing (Pure/ Dark Ones #1) by Aja James --- very interesting take with the "pure" being the "light/good" forces and the "dark" being the bad.... or maybe not? :) And the books keep getting better as I have continued on in the series. The author is also super communicative, which is really cool.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily Crow | 25 comments My favorite series is definitely Downside Ghosts by Stacia Kane. It's hard to say why I love it so much, probably a combination of the unusual world-building and very imperfect but still lovable main characters. I really hope she publishes more in the series.

message 12: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments Downside definitely has some great character building, very flawed characters. I mainly had issue with the addiction as it is a trigger. Still I saw it as a really good series. Unluckily Kane seems to have dropped it, last book was 2012 and novellas 2013. So 5 or 4 years depending how you look at it. Her website hasn't had a post since the presidential election.

message 13: by Aphelia (new)

Aphelia (aphelia88) My favourite UF series are, in no particular order:

- Kim Harrison, The Hollows/Rachel Morgan
- Rachel Caine, The Weather Wardens & spinoff Outcast Season
- Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson & spinoff Alpha & Omega
- Ilona Andrews, Kate Daniels
- Karen Chance, Cassie Palmer
- Carrie Vaughn, Kitty Norville
- Karen Marie Moning, Fever
- Marjorie M. Liu, Hunter Kiss
- Jess Haines, H&W Investigations
- Laura Ann Gilman, Retrievers
- Vicki Pettersson, Signs of the Zodiac (finished series)
- Kelly Armstrong (finished series, I haven't read after #10)
- Benedict Jacka, Alex Verus
- Jim Butcher, Harry Dresden (haven't read after #8)
- Sharon Ashwood, Dark Forgotten
- Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse (despite the ending)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few 😄

I really enjoyed Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts too, but haven't read the last novel out yet and am very disappointed that the series seems to have been dropped. What makes them attractive? All the things you said - the details (worldbuilding), characters, the relationships AND the suspense 😊

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodys_gr) Aphelia wrote: "My favourite UF series are, in no particular order:

- Kim Harrison, The Hollows/Rachel Morgan
- Rachel Caine, The Weather Wardens & spinoff Outcast Season
- Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson & spino..."

I loved Sookie Stackhouse for sure :-)

message 15: by Bahijah (new)

Bahijah hasan (firefae18) | 10 comments Damn you’ve already named most of them but here are a few more off the top of my head:

Laurell K Hamilton’s Merry Gentry and Anita Blake Series
Karen Marie Moning’s Fever Series
Amy Sumida’s Godhunter, Twilight Court, and Spellsinger Series
Yasmine Galenorn’s Women of the Otherworld Series
Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock Series

*forgive me if I repeated anything

I love my strong Female heroines

message 16: by Eerie (new)

Eerie | 4 comments Mercy Thompson, The Hollows and the Hidden legacy

message 17: by Mia (new)

Mia McKimmy (goodreadscommia_mckimmy) | 1 comments Darynda Jones, Charlie Davidson series. Her books are packed with action and I love her voice and humor.
Anything written by Sherrilyn Kenyon, especially her Dark Hunter series.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) | 44 comments Amyiw wrote: "nluckily Kane seems to have dropped it, last book was 2012 and novellas 2013. So 5 or 4 years depending how you look at it. Her website hasn't had a post since the presidential election..."

This made me curious, and I noticed she just today posted an update after the long social media hiatus: http://www.staciakane.net/2018/07/03/...

message 19: by J.F. (last edited May 26, 2020 12:30PM) (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments My absolute favourites, most have been mentioned, except, Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed and Lynsay Sands, Argeneau Series. Both of these 2 series, Christine Feehan's Dark Series and JR Wards, Blackdagger Brotherhood I can read over and over again. Recently, I've also found Eve Langlais, now if you enjoy some cheesy, lol moments, with steam and some cracking one liners with your PNR, then she's your girl. I bought and read 4 of her 'Welcome to hell' books, one after the other... even though I was on a screaming deadline.

I also have a couple of my own PNR out, The Bound Series, is a PNR Serial and I have 7 books out at present, book 8 coming August. These have to be read in order as being a serial, the story continues on in the next book. It's been likened to a PNR Soap Opera and I have some awesome fans who like to keep in touch to know when the next is due out. I have them out as separates or all 7 books in 2 boxsets enrolled in Kindle Unlimited:-
Books 1 – 4 Boxset:
http://mybook.to/BoundSeriesBooks1-4

Books 5 – 7 Boxset:
http://mybook.to/BoundSeriesBooks5-7

I also have a spin-off series out to the Bound Series called, Eternal Mates, Immortal Dating Site and there are 3 books out at present, a 4th coming the end of this year. Again, I have them enrolled in KU in a boxset. Vampire, shifter and dragon’s all inside one cover….225,457 words of entertainment to lose yourself in:-
mybook.to/EternalMatesBoxset1-3

Book 1, Immortal Flame – the vampire gets a mate.
Book 2, Taming the Beast – The grizzly gets more than he bargained for. This book was awarded a Golden Crown Review in June 2019's InD'Tale Magazine and has been nominated for favourite Long Paranormal Read...
Book 3, Fae Lover – Will Trina survive meeting her dragon shifter mate?
Book 3, Fae Lover – Will Trina survive meeting her dragon shifter mate?

I also have some FREE Audio Promo Codes for Immortal Flame Book 1 for both US and UK if you'd like to take a listen. This book is more a spoof, it's the vampire from, The Bound Series, and this is just a fun read, you don't get his serious side until you read more about him in the Bound Series... Later in the series he shows them all a side they didn't know he had.

message 20: by Aphelia (new)

Aphelia (aphelia88) Rachel wrote: "This made me curious, and I noticed she just today posted an update after the long social media hiatus..."

Thanks so much for sharing the link! I'm so excited, she said that there is definitely going to be a Downside #6!!! I really love this series, so glad that it will finally, hopefully, get finished 😍

message 21: by Treena (new)

Treena (treenao) | 14 comments I'm with you all who love kickass heroines. My uber fave re-reads for PNR-UF are:

Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels series
Ilona Andrews - Hidden Legacy series

And these haven't been mentioned yet, but I highly recommend them:

Ella Summers - Legion of Angels series, book 1 is Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels #1) by Ella Summers

Jane Cousins - Southern Sanctuary series, book 1 is To Woo A Warrior (Southern Sanctuary, #1) by Jane Cousins

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Crow | 25 comments Rachel wrote: "Amyiw wrote: "nluckily Kane seems to have dropped it, last book was 2012 and novellas 2013. So 5 or 4 years depending how you look at it. Her website hasn't had a post since the presidential electi..."

I'd like to add my thanks for sharing this link. Stacia Kane says she is working on Downside #6 and a new project? That completely made my day!

message 23: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) ^ Seconded!!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

The following stories are my absolute favorite and i have read them all multiple times. Lucky for me some are still writing new books. Keep up the work

Tairen Soul and Weathermages of Mystral by C.L. Wilson
Immortal Guardians by Dianne Duvall
Fantasyland by Kristen Ashley
Tornians and Kaliszian by M.K. Eidem.
Elder Races by Thea Harrison
Master of Crows by Grace Draven
New Species by Laurann Dohner

My apologies if they don't fall in the categories, i just had to share my love.

With all love to readers in this group.

JuliaSophia

message 25: by Addison (new)

Addison Carmichael | 48 comments Stray - by Rachel Vincent

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 168 comments Addison wrote: "Stray - by Rachel Vincent"

I love the Shifters series and reread Stray for the fourth time a couple of weeks back.

I also like Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld Series, and one that I never hear mentioned often, but is amazing, is Christopher Golden's, The Shadow Saga

message 27: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Jan 15, 2019 06:07AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 86 comments Kiersten wrote: "Is there a paranormal romance or urban fantasy series out there that you can read over and over again?

What is it, do you think, that makes that series so attractive to you?

Is it the characters..."

Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Written in Red by Anne Bishop

I love this series because of the characters and how each different paranormal species in the courtyard is fleshed out with so many tiny species quirks and differing perspectives of the exact same things. I love how they each have so much trouble trying to make sense of Meg and the behaviors of her "human pack" through the eyes of a shifter pack or the norms of a vampire, etc. There's so much adorable confusion! And I love LOVE Love the invisible Elders and the "howling not-wolf" and the fact that humans are the minority in this world, are a nuisance to the Others, and yet they just keep stupidly screwing things up. Every. Damn. Time. It's such a unique series!

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh

This is another series that illustrates this concept beautifully. The sharp differences between the thinking of the humans vs. the psy vs. the changelings and how they start to interact more, have interspecies matings and make alliances.

message 28: by Alice (new)

Alice Bello (alicebelloromance) | 15 comments My favorite PNR or UF author is—hands down—Ilona Andrews. Between her Kate Daniels series, The Edge, Hidden Legacy and Inn Keeper Chronicles, she is not only prolific but sensationally satisfying to read. And yes, I’ve read them more than once.

message 29: by Rachel (last edited Jul 19, 2019 08:58AM) (new)

Rachel Rainey Sternberg I LOVE The Fever Series
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

I really think HBO needs to pick it up, so all my Jericho Barrons dreams can come true.

LaToya (Readingbythebayou) | 3 comments Definitely the Fae Chronicles by Amelia Hutchins. The first book is Fighting Destiny

message 31: by B. (new)

B. Forrester (bforresterauthor) | 9 comments It's hard to choose between the Fever Series or the Highlander Series (both by Karen Marie Moning). They're both so good.

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1 comments The Jinn Boys series by Nini Church. These were recommended to me and I haven't been disappointed.

Am currently reading her latest Taz Reynolds and enjoying every page. I love a strong alpha male while also liking a strong female.

message 33: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle Rachelle (rachellerachelle) | 3 comments Rachel wrote: "I LOVE The Fever Series
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie MoningBloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie MoningFaefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie MoningDreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie MoningShadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

I really think HBO needs..."

I completely agree! Although I'm more of a Ryodan girl :)

message 34: by B. (new)

B. Forrester (bforresterauthor) | 9 comments I'm currently reading the All Souls Trilogy. Damn its good.

message 35: by Kat (new)

Kat (katwiththehat) | 7 comments Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but:

Sin & Chocolate (Demigod of San Francisco, #1) by K.F. Breene Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter

For cozy PNR:

The Vampire's Mail Order Bride (Nocturne Falls, #1) by Kristen Painter A Werewolf in Manhattan (Wild About You, #1) by Vicki Lewis Thompson

And I just started: Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill

message 36: by Anne (new)

Anne Schlea | 32 comments I don't think I've replied to this yet: The League (Sherrilyn Kenyon) if it counts; I also love Nightwalkers Jacquelyn Frank

message 37: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments I like both of those too. I need to catch up with the last few of The League though I think that is Scifi romance. It is Fantasy Rom though and I think one of the best Scifi Roms out there.

message 38: by Anne (new)

Anne Schlea | 32 comments Amyiw wrote: "I like both of those too. I need to catch up with the last few of The League though I think that is Scifi romance. It is Fantasy Rom though and I think one of the best Scifi Roms out there."
Born of Legend is my personal fav when you get to it. Incredibly written.

message 39: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments I'm up to Born of Betrayal, so a couple before Legend. I really love the books but have to be in the right state of mind as she can be so harsh on her characters sometimes.

Julie Book addict (bookaddict75) my favorite is the dark series - Dark Prince (Dark, #1) by Christine Feehan
Anita bake series Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton
black dagger- Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward
lords of the underworld- The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter
afterlife- Afterlife (Afterlife Saga, #1) by Stephanie Hudson
fighting destiny- Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #1) by Amelia Hutchins

message 41: by Angie (new)

Angie tournado (angietournado) | 15 comments I love romance book my shelf stack full of them.

message 42: by Julian (new)

Julian Adorney | 16 comments The PNR series that I've re-read and loved is Sarah Maas' Court of Thorns and Roses--specifically, the second book A Court of Mist and Fury.

I LOVE the world: Velaris is up there with Hogwarts in terms of places I really want to go live. And the hero's court is completely dreamy. It's wonderful seeing the main character move from a toxic relationship into one where she's loved and respected.

message 43: by Kody (new)

Kody | 19 comments God Touched (Demon Accords, #1) by John Conroe favorite series especially in audio. Cannot recommend it enough

message 44: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments Kody wrote: "God Touched (Demon Accords, #1) by John Conroe favorite series especially in audio. Cannot recommend it enough"

I have that on my TBR. Maybe I'll move it up.

message 45: by Kody (new)

Kody | 19 comments Amyiw wrote: "Kody wrote: "God Touched (Demon Accords, #1) by John Conroe favorite series especially in audio. Cannot recommend it enough"

I have that on my TBR. Maybe I'll move it up."

Personally it's my highest rated urban fantasy audio series. The author is amazing. If you enjoy it, I also recommend the night huntress series. First book Halfway to the Grave. Patricia briggs Mercy thompson series ( Moon Called ) use to be my favorite series before I started reading Night huntress and Demon Accords. Both series (NH and DA) are essentially the same concept (at least in the beginning) except NH has female protagonist and DA has a male protagonist. If you never given audio books a try, then let your first experience be these two series.

message 46: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments That's a good recommendation though I like Mercy and A&O better than Nighthuntress. Read and reread both so they are some of my favorite and are in the top 10 so I'll try a couple of the accord and see how it goes for me.

message 47: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorangelina) Vampire Academy of course!

message 48: by EmmaMay (new)

EmmaMay | 12 comments If I only had to pick one - then it would be Jane Cousins Southern Sanctuary series.
There are 13 books so far and each one is just freaking awesome - featuring a new couple, set in a magical town, supported by eccentric, wonderful friends and family.

I find myself laughing just as often as I sigh over the sexy/sweet romances. They are the kind of books you have to re-read because you tend to gobble the witty/fun books down the first (second and even the third) time you read them.

Start with To Woo A Warrior To Woo A Warrior (Southern Sanctuary, #1) by Jane Cousins The h is the warrior. And the Hero has to pull out all stops to woo her - the dating rules he establishes are sweet and funny.

You'll find this series populated by a manipulative matchmaker, sentient bridesmaid dresses, cats with an agenda of their own, witches, a siren and many, many more cool characters and creatures.

You'll find yourself snort laughing if you read these books, you have been warned.

message 49: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Salazar | 5 comments I have so many but I would have to go with the Phoenix pack series I can read it over and over again I also own it in audio

message 50: by Fee (last edited Jan 31, 2020 01:45PM) (new)

Fee | 3 comments EmmaMay wrote: "If I only had to pick one - then it would be Jane Cousins Southern Sanctuary series.
There are 13 books so far and each one is just freaking awesome - featuring a new couple, set i..."

Me Too! If I could only choose one, it would be this awesome series. Adore the eccentric magical towns that make up the Southern Sanctuary Series.

Every book has been a winner - starring a new couple, lots of magic, loads of laughs and major sweet sexy romances that deliver a satisfying HEA every single time that totally gives you the feels.

There are 13 books in the series - and whilst I think they can be stand alone reads, the author does have running jokes and fantastic secondary characters pop up throughout the books that just add fun & more mayhem if you read the series in the intended order.

Off the top of my head - some of my fave books

Book 1 - To Woo A Warrior - A bride in a headlock? Stupendous way to start this book. Rogue family matchmaker acting as puppet master. Our 6.6ft warrior heroine would rather be fighting than flirting. Hero invents some dating rules to woo her. Sigh. To Woo A Warrior (Southern Sanctuary, #1) by Jane Cousins

Book 4 - To Seduce A Siren - Cyd, our Heroine, the Siren, is bonded to a voracious rock. There is an awesome assassin vamp queen determined to make the Hero her chew toy. Way high sizzle factor. To Seduce A Siren (Southern Sanctuary, #4) by Jane Cousins

Book 9 - To Vex A Valkyrie - Our bloodthirsty warrior Heroine has just been ordered to take a holiday and bang a guy for stress relief purposes. And what do you know, the Hero has just taken a vow of celibacy to avoid the family matchmaker targeting him - oh, and the Hero is a firefighter - so awesome. To Vex A Valkyrie (Southern Sanctuary, #9) by Jane Cousins

Book 12 - To Handle a Hellcat. Darcy (Love her - been waiting 11 books for her to take lead) is a sociopath but protects her eccentric family. The Hero is a cheerful, gorgeous dude who can't keep a shirt on and has a Love God in his head. The bad guys arrive and want their Love God back. Wonderful mayhem ensues. To Handle A Hellcat (Southern Sanctuary, #12) by Jane Cousins

Jane Cousins is up there with Shelly Laurenston, Darynda Jones and Alanea Alder. Every book is just awesome and there are 13 in the series to gobble up - everyone totally needs to read these books if they haven't already.

« previous 1